- Morgan Stanley cuts its iron ore price estimate for this year and foresees a further drop in 2015, as a seaborne surplus grows faster than expected and the level of cost support at Chinese producers declines.
- Prices are expected to average $105/ton this year vs. $118 forecast in May and $135 in 2013, and average ~$90/ton in 2015, 21% below an earlier estimate.
- Iron ore has dropped below $92 for the first time since 2012 as mining companies boost output, betting that rising exports to China would more than offset lower prices.
- The firm downgrades Vale to Equal Weight from Overweight with a $15.20 price target.
- RIO -2.9%, CLF -2.8%, VALE -1.3%, BHP -1.2%, MT -1.2% premarket.