Amazon Smartphone: AT&T will be exclusive provider

• Amazon's (AMZN) smartphone which will be unveiled this Wednesday will only be carried by provider AT&T (T). The deal extends the two's relationship, as AT&T also provides service for the Kindle and e-readers.
  • The phone is rumored to be distinguished by its holographic display, and the company plans to start shipping out the phones by the end of September.
From other sites
Comments (18)
  • slaughterer
    Comments (40) | Send Message

We do not even know if it will be a smartphone, and we already know AT&T will be sole provider?
    17 Jun 2014, 08:52 AM Reply Like
  • afismomin
    Comments (3) | Send Message

What can Amazon's smartphone offer that others haven't already?
    17 Jun 2014, 09:12 AM Reply Like
  • User 19440791
    Comment (1) | Send Message

It will provide real strong price competition.
    17 Jun 2014, 10:18 AM Reply Like
  • Budavar
    Comments (1389) | Send Message

Along with standard losses.
    17 Jun 2014, 11:41 AM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (9719) | Send Message

Does the world need an Amazon smartphone?

Is the Kindle Fire the gold standard in tablet quality?

Is Amazon wildly overvalued?

17 Jun 2014, 09:21 AM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    Comments (3950) | Send Message

"Does the world need an Amazon smartphone?"

The world doesn't need a lot of things. They still exist.

"Is the Kindle Fire the gold standard in tablet quality?"

Does it need to be? It's a cheap competent tablet, among a sea of others. It doesn't price itself like an IPad or Samsung so why should it be considered a gold standard?

Is Amazon wildly overvalued?

Sure is, but as they say, the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent....
    17 Jun 2014, 09:35 AM Reply Like
  • $vix
    Comments (523) | Send Message

"The world doesn't need a lot of things. They still exist."

The questions are whether or not this "new" amazon offering will be desireable to the masses and if it will be accretive to the bottom line.

17 Jun 2014, 09:43 AM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    Comments (3950) | Send Message

"This is true, but for a consumer to buy something they don't need, it must be something they greatly want or desire. Otherwise no sale."

Everyone wanted a tablet, but couldn't afford an IPad. GOOG and AMZN took care of that need quickly.

I agree with you in that the smartphone from AMZN will probably not be as big of a splash. The only exception might be a cheap unsubsidized model for $99-199 with "special offers" for people who want to be off contract but can't affording a $400+ unlocked phone for service.
    17 Jun 2014, 09:47 AM Reply Like
  • Budavar
    Comments (1389) | Send Message

Welcome to the world of Alice in Wonderland.
    17 Jun 2014, 11:43 AM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (9719) | Send Message

chopchop0:

If I were an AMZN long your reply to my comment wouldn't exactly send me out to buy more shares.

As I say to the TSLA, NFLX, TWTR and FB longs...good luck holding long term at these levels.

I remember the late 90s...
    17 Jun 2014, 01:09 PM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    Comments (3950) | Send Message

TSLA is no AMZN. They actually care about profits and margins.
    17 Jun 2014, 01:51 PM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (9719) | Send Message

Tesla is a great company...just wildly overvalued too.
    17 Jun 2014, 03:47 PM Reply Like
  • Siwanoy
    Comments (717) | Send Message

Just what I always wanted, to watch NFL football on an exclusive Amazon smart phone.....NOT!
    17 Jun 2014, 10:04 AM Reply Like
  • d7mead
    Comments (35) | Send Message

But this can only be good for AT&T right? I mean this Amazon "smartphone" may or may not flop, but what does T have to lose?
    17 Jun 2014, 10:43 AM Reply Like
  • joeHadenough
    Comments (11) | Send Message

As a owner of the original Kindle Fire for my wife, and now the owner of a Kindle Fire HDX, I am totally impressed with the improvements since the original. Slimmer, lighter, far better screen resolution, incredible audio, mayday button for when the wife has a problem. And the fact that they took my old Kindle in trade for the new one impressed me. I'm a techie who has tasted windows, apple, and android devices. Setting up the HDX was the easiest that I have ever experienced. I don't own Amazon stock, but I would not count out the new phone. Amazon has an incredible following. This was written on my Apple IPad.
    17 Jun 2014, 01:20 PM Reply Like
  • mjb0909
    Comments (170) | Send Message

I can remember many years ago when Steve Jobs was told that the consumer doesn't want his products. His response was they need it they don't know it! (yet). My disclosure is I have no investment in Amazon nor do I plan any
    17 Jun 2014, 07:21 PM Reply Like
  • Maerzie
    Comments (22) | Send Message

We don't need a hundred different kinds of cereals either, or 59 different kinds of shampoos, but somehow, most of them stay profitable! It just makes shopping harder!
    17 Jun 2014, 11:35 PM Reply Like
  • DeepValueLover
    Comments (9719) | Send Message

Cereal producers are profitable, Amazon is not.
    18 Jun 2014, 05:30 AM Reply Like