Realty Income Corp declares $0.18279 dividend

• Realty Income Corporation (O) declares $0.18279/share monthly dividend, 0.2% increase from prior dividend of $0.18248.
  • Forward yield 5.02%
  • Payable July 15; for shareholders of record July 1; ex-div June 27.
Comments (10)
  • jerrywengler
    , contributor
    Comments (500) | Send Message

Reminds me of the geyser at Yellowstone, "Old Faithful."
    17 Jun, 08:22 PM Reply Like
  • Cheesehusker
    , contributor
    Comments (310) | Send Message

Love it
    18 Jun, 07:57 AM Reply Like
  • Slick E
    , contributor
    Comments (131) | Send Message

While I like the dependability, does this really even register as a raise? Doing some quick math with some figures from Fidelity's site that I happen to have open...

221,442,000 shares outstanding X $0.0003125 raise = $69,200 in extra dividends paid.

That's a $69K bump total for a company currently valued at almost $10 billion. It's nothing.

Since the big bump at the end of 2012, the dividend has essentially been frozen. The quarterly payment has gone from just over 54 cents to just under 55 cents in a year and a half. These "raises" feel like PR more than anything else so they can continue to tout consistent quarterly dividend raises.

Just my opinion. I'm not saying they should raise payouts if they can't afford to, but it feels a little bit dirty in my mind to claim to be raising them each quarter when for all practical purposes they really aren't.
    18 Jun, 08:34 AM Reply Like
  • chuckleh
    , contributor
    Comments (254) | Send Message

I've only owned it for 6 months and the annualized dividend per share has increased about 2% ($2.15+ to $2.19+). And my YOC is 5.7% - I won't quibble with how that's achieved.
    18 Jun, 09:31 AM Reply Like
  • Slick E
    , contributor
    Comments (131) | Send Message

I think your math is off Chuck. The annual payout hasn't been below $2.16 since 2012. 6 months ago the annual payout was $2.18+.

If you bought 6 months ago, your increase has been only .5% spread out across 3 "raises".
    18 Jun, 09:49 AM Reply Like
  • chuckleh
    , contributor
    Comments (254) | Send Message

Details. details. When I bought on 12/16/13 the dividend actually paid in calendar 2013 was $2.1475 ($2.15) per share. Through calendar 7 months of 2014, they've paid or declared $1.2767, which annualized is $2.1886 ($2.19). Maybe it's how we define "annualized"?
    18 Jun, 10:50 AM Reply Like
  • Slick E
    , contributor
    Comments (131) | Send Message

OK, but almost that entire gain came in the Dec 2012 bump I mentioned as the last time they really raised the dividend with any significance.

The dividend in 2013 was $2.177876 if you go by ex-div date rather than payout date, which illustrates how much of any improvement you've seen was tied to that one initial bump at the end of 2012.

Either way, it doesn't change the original fact that the last 6 "raises" have COMBINED to be 1%. Not 1% each, that's in total.
    18 Jun, 11:27 AM Reply Like
  • jayridescarbon
    , contributor
    Comments (276) | Send Message

Hmm... this is concerning. I bought O about 9 months ago based on widely reported DGR of around 4-5%. The past calendar year has been less than 1% dividend growth. There have been plenty of articles about O in the past few months, but none have addressed this significant reduction in dividend growth.
    18 Jun, 11:46 AM Reply Like
  • desertman
    , contributor
    Comments (8) | Send Message

This is great news! Now I can get that pack of gum I've been saving for.
    18 Jun, 05:10 PM Reply Like
  • betsillr
    , contributor
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Does anyone care that 20%-30% of Div is return of cap. Which means the earnings dividend is about 3.5% give or take. The other part is just giving your money back.
    25 Jun, 02:43 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub