Reuters: iWatch likely to have 2.5" display, enter production in July

Contract manufacturer Quanta will start iWatch (AAPL -0.4%) mass production in July ahead of a launch that could "come as early as October," Reuters reports, citing sources. That fits well with past reports from the Nikkei and re/code.

Reuters adds the device will likely have a 2.5" touch display - LG Display (LPL +2.3%) is said to be the exclusive supplier - to go with a pulse monitor (should work with iOS 8's Health app) and wireless charging support. The watch face "will protrude slightly from the band, creating an arched shape."

Apple reportedly expects 50M shipments in the first year of availability; the consumer response could ultimately yield a very different shipment level. For reference, Apple sold 148M iPhones in FY13, and might sell 180M+ in FY14.

Update: The WSJ reports the iWatch will likely arrive in two screen sizes, and feature over 10 sensors.

From other sites
Comments (41)
  • Deja Vu
    Comments (1805) | Send Message

I don't think there are 50 million girlfriendless, sideburn toting, 25 year old programmers in the bay area but I may be wrong on this....if there are, I can see them curled up cosily in their bean bag chairs in the 8 person shared loft, on a Saturday evening, happily gazing deep into the iWatch watching their pulse go up as they iMessage each other "Mine is 67, what is yours?". I hear soon they will form a action group to support iMarriage so that they can marry their iPhones at the nearest Apple Store with a 20 year old Genius presiding. There would, of course, be an open iDevice recharge bar for the reception.
    19 Jun 2014, 03:59 PM Reply Like
  • Bandwidth Hog
    Comments (16) | Send Message

Ladies & Gentleman, I introduce you to the CEO of Fitbit.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:11 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    Comments (18385) | Send Message

You need to get out some more.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:12 PM Reply Like
  • orangutan
    Comments (261) | Send Message

I know. Totally. Loserville. Just like video games and iPhones.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:16 PM Reply Like
  • tarheelboy
    Comments (348) | Send Message

Just think you need to know. I'm retired, 60, have had all three iPads and each iPhone so far. I would not be without an iwatch and will buy them as presents for my family and friends. You can hate apple all you want but your representation of whether this item will sell is decidedly incorrect. It's a wish not a fact.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:17 PM Reply Like
  • db313706
    Comments (223) | Send Message

Rather have a beer.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:27 PM Reply Like
  • wmimis
    Comments (159) | Send Message

Noone needs an IPod with the capabilities of the current IPhone, but they have them none the less. This fall we will see completely redesigned IPhones and the Iwatch (likely). People have been complaining about Apple not innovating for years, and here it is. Now you don't like them manner in which they do it. Sell your shares and move on. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and betting on Apple right now.
    19 Jun 2014, 08:27 PM Reply Like
  • synchrogeddon
    Comments (386) | Send Message

It is website for investors, not "insult others" website, you probably forgot about that.
    20 Jun 2014, 06:55 AM Reply Like
  • portatopia
    Comments (1459) | Send Message

<<I don't think there are 50 million girlfriendless, sideburn toting, 25 year old programmers in the bay area but I may be wrong on this....i>>

Deja Vu, you might have mistaken Android gear with Apple. Nice try though.
    20 Jun 2014, 03:44 PM Reply Like
  • techy46
    Comments (11405) | Send Message

Texas Instrument made an LED watch in the 1970's!

19 Jun 2014, 04:06 PM Reply Like
  • db313706
    Comments (223) | Send Message

Yes, it's all coming together now...

Let's make sure we each have on our person, at any given moment, at least 3 devices that do the exact same thing. Never can be too careful.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:11 PM Reply Like
  • System6
    Comments (39) | Send Message

The key will be to make it available in gold color, for Asia, and rainbow colors for the rest of us who want people to notice our bling. Beyond that they'll probably sell 50m units even if the things don't work.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:14 PM Reply Like
  • scott trader
    Comments (6951) | Send Message

Blah blah speculation....here is mine a built in gyroscope with a self leveling cup so I never spill my beer or coffee while I am riding the highwire on my unicycle....seriously I like the rotating continuous bezel that wraps around not some archaic round bezel on a wrist band...

I am getting tired of hearing about forthcoming innovative devices in 2014 , just bring them on....Samsung amazon google and even msft are cranking out stuff on a quicker more regular basis....of couse I am not buying ithat crap, but a lot of frugal cheap dont give a squat about quality people are!
    19 Jun 2014, 04:14 PM Reply Like
  • aardvark3
    Comments (665) | Send Message

I agree. Why do we have these endless speculative articles with the aid of a crystal ball: "...a launch that could come", the device will likely have...", "is said to be...", and might sell...". Why do we bother responding to this?
    19 Jun 2014, 04:26 PM Reply Like
  • Eric Jhonsa
    Comments (1276) | Send Message

There's a big difference between "speculation" (i.e. just idly guessing what a product will be like) and a media report backed by sources. Reuters' article is the latter.

It's possible the sources aren't 100% accurate, but Reuters has a good track record overall. Either way, they're doing more than speculating.
    19 Jun 2014, 05:05 PM Reply Like
  • Strattonite
    Comments (41) | Send Message

I'd like to make note of $GTAT recent 10-Q/A and CT Order. (iWatch is said to be an "October release" reference CT Order)... IMO they're involved and after you do read the documents you'll see that lips are tightly sealed on their involvement with $AAPL. Now that we KNOW there will be an iWatch, the 10-Q/A makes note of 3 types/shapes of sapphire cover glass for 3 specific products...(possibly a medium and large sized iPhone 6) .... This is just my opinion based upon my interpretation of the SEC filings. I'm not advising anybody to act upon my own opinion(s) but to simply conduct their own due-diligence.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:15 PM Reply Like
  • herrmajj
    Comments (44) | Send Message

Thank you for posting a comment on investment ideas. Refreshing.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:31 PM Reply Like
  • B4ngZ00m
    Comments (162) | Send Message

Good call. I'll be looking at GTAT tomorrow. I have my doubts about the success of a watch but the next phone release is going to be big for Sapphire (i.e. GTAT). I think quite a bit is already priced in but it might still be good long term.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:57 PM Reply Like
  • Sacto_Joe
    Comments (255) | Send Message

Even at $20/share, a P/E of 20 would only require earnings of $1.00. They've earned well over that in years past. Just sayin'....
    19 Jun 2014, 05:20 PM Reply Like
  • Frank Greenhalgh
    Comments (4169) | Send Message

The method of connecting the sensors to the body and battery life are the two problems they must have had to overcome. I guess its ready. A men's and a women's version introduced by the past CEO of Burberrys. Lots of bling.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:43 PM Reply Like
  • tstreet
    Comments (1035) | Send Message

We know virtually nothing about the IWatch, so there is no use speculating at this point. However, there will always be a certain niche of people who must be on the bleeding edge of gadgetry. But 50 million? Ooops. I just speculated. Now, if it has GPS, I might even consider buying it at the right price. But for me, that price has to be less than $200. Guess I am out of luck. Oh stop. We know nothing.
    19 Jun 2014, 04:56 PM Reply Like
  • Strattonite
    Comments (41) | Send Message

We know $AAPL is working with $GTAT ... other than that ... you're right its just speculation. Isn't that what we do everyday though?
    19 Jun 2014, 05:10 PM Reply Like
  • rickraff
    Comments (319) | Send Message

50 million shipments in the first year? I bet they are being conservative...
    19 Jun 2014, 05:13 PM Reply Like
  • Sacto_Joe
    Comments (255) | Send Message

I think 50 million is a figure someone pulled out of an orifice. Setting that up as a false number makes it almost inevitable that Apple will fail to measure up. Future stock manipulation is my guess.
    19 Jun 2014, 05:23 PM Reply Like
  • Hank890
    Comments (2209) | Send Message

I find the author's suggested first year sales estimate of 50mm to be far to the high side.

The contract with LG probably says something like,...year one production should be able to achieve not less than 50 mm units. That does not mean that the firm expects to build or sell 50 mm units by Oct. 2015.

I would deem the iWatch to be a successful launch if 20-25 mm units are sold the first year of availability. At $300 each, that is about $6-7.5 B in incremental revenue. Year 2 sales could easily double year one. At 38% margin, that is about $2.28 B in earnings. Of course, there will be plenty of APP sales that accompany this device revenue, too, shared out among many partners.
    19 Jun 2014, 05:26 PM Reply Like
  • bobhartin
    Comments (140) | Send Message

The Comments on Seeking Alpha is why I love this forum. We see the extreme range of views and instincts which often transcend the depth of the original underlying articles. It's a great site because of the Comments and some inspired Contributors, whom we eventually learn to identify as really valuable advisors.

An Apple fan since my first Mac SE40 in 1982, now at age 78, I will be one of the first buyers of the iWatch this fall. Why? Because Apple products have improved my life consistently for over 30 years. And never disappointed me with respect to service or quality, ever. The slight price premium is repaid overwhelmingly again and again through hassle-free use over extended use-life, with no diminution of satisfaction -- always followed by handoff to someone who welcomes the gift of like-new, years-old hardware -- and rightly so! Decisions to upgrade then become so easy! If they can extend my life expectancy, that's a bonus.

The skeptics who populate this forum don't have a clue. They obviously have no knowledge of Apple products, otherwise they would not be skeptics.

From an investor point of view -- my strongest engagement, in seven digits -- I simply follow my life experience to buy, hold, invest, trade, and inspire my kids in what I believe to be the best equity opportunity on the planet -- AAPL. Until something better comes along, I guess I'm an AAPL "fan-boy."

Skeptics, either get lost, or try out the product! Then invest, and get rich, like me.

19 Jun 2014, 08:50 PM Reply Like
  • bjnflicks
    Comments (4335) | Send Message

Left out GTAT making the sapphire casings, a stock I just bought hoping for a home run. When I found out Samsung was lusting for sapphire but Apple had reserved it all for themselves, I bought. GTAT is the only major sapphire casing maker in the world and they are expanding facilities rapidly to make casings for both the iWatch and iPhone6. They are also heavily involved in solar, another industry I like seeing as all wars going on seem to be in oil corrupted nations, and so oil is a lot more costly than the price we pay at the gas station. Not to mention the horrible pollution which often results. What happened to the Gulf in Louisiana is sickening, literally, and oh so tragic. When a politician says "drill baby drill", check whose paying him. It is called corruption and has nothing to do with a will to create jobs. Meanwhile we have more free sunshine than we can possibly use and it is just sitting there waiting to be tapped once the politicians start doing the right thing and stop sucking up to Exxon, BP and the Koch Brothers.
    19 Jun 2014, 05:42 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    Comments (18385) | Send Message

Pure comedy http://bit.ly/UjcvIo
    19 Jun 2014, 06:19 PM Reply Like
  • CMelMiller
    Comments (78) | Send Message

I think the iWatch will do for wearables what the iPod did for MP3 players. Anyone remember that?

I have sky high expectations for the tech of it. As an Apple Developer and share holder it is doubly good. It will open up a whole new world for app developers. Remember Apple made $10B last year off App purchases that were written by schmoes like me.

As a shareholder I am stoked because I think it will take Apple shares to $125. Take that with a grain of salt because I know nothing about the market, just the tech. But if iWatch is an iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes kinda hit, it may make me look like I do know something about the market.

I think the sleeper is Apple TV. I can't believe how little Apple has done with that powerful little box. It has the horsepower to be something really game changing, but Apple has locked us developers out and has set a really low bar for what it can do. We can't develop apps for it because Apple has never provided the SDK so we can. Only people who can develop for Apple TV are people like NetFlix.
    19 Jun 2014, 07:30 PM Reply Like
  • yv204
    Comments (178) | Send Message

Does a 2.5" inch size seem biggish to anybody else? For a teen or a woman with, let's say, a 6" wrist, this thing would be enormous.
    19 Jun 2014, 07:36 PM Reply Like
  • B4ngZ00m
    Comments (162) | Send Message

I thought the same thing. A 2.5" square-like screen would be hideous. I believe the screen will be long and curved though - so it wraps around the wrist. We'll see soon enough.
    20 Jun 2014, 08:04 AM Reply Like
  • CMelMiller
    Comments (78) | Send Message

A touch screen has to have some real estate or the icons get too crowded. If you are going to view images on it you want the screen as large as possible. If it is going to be a status thing, it has to be noticable.

We normally right technical apps that have up to 2M lines of code. We are going to have a little fun with iWatch and write some blingy apps. We already have about a dozen ideas for Frou-Frou Stuff. Hope the screen is big. Just thought of one now and I need to text my partner. Fun!
    19 Jun 2014, 07:45 PM Reply Like
  • Kalman42
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Where could I pre order?
    19 Jun 2014, 08:28 PM Reply Like
  • twilso2
    Comments (4) | Send Message

I am 79, retired and living at home alone. I can imagine that the iWatch could be very helpful in monitoring my health (including falls) so that help could be sent in the event of a crisis.
    19 Jun 2014, 08:28 PM Reply Like
  • yv204
    Comments (178) | Send Message

Not sure how much of a problem you'd have with it, but I am not certain you and your doctor will be the only ones to end up with very detailed readouts of your daily health. I don't know of any laws that directly govern something like this and can't you just imagine an insurance company denying coverage or treatment for a condition that could be "clearly seen" from such a minute-by-minute monitor, but which one denied having when filling out the insurance forms?
    20 Jun 2014, 11:04 AM Reply Like
  • Strattonite
    Comments (41) | Send Message

$GTAT $AAPL

Posting these for those who haven't had the opportunity to read yet..

10-Q/A

CT Order
    The best investment you'll ever make is in yourself. Knowledge.
    19 Jun 2014, 09:31 PM Reply Like
  • Macnor
    Comments (122) | Send Message

Remember Dick Trasy??
    20 Jun 2014, 04:16 AM Reply Like
  • B4ngZ00m
    Comments (162) | Send Message

Ha ha...I was thinking Maxwell Smart but Dick Tracy works too.
    20 Jun 2014, 08:05 AM Reply Like
  • MacyGirl
    Comments (10) | Send Message

It's gonna be a great Christmas for lots of IWatch waiters.....including me.....but let's hope an even better one for Apple investors.
    20 Jun 2014, 04:32 AM Reply Like
  • Harm Elderman
    Comments (2404) | Send Message

iWatch? iFail you mean. :')
    21 Jun 2014, 11:09 AM Reply Like
  • vikramnjnjjdjnd
    Comments (1444) | Send Message

Technology jewelry over the real jewelry? It's like back to the future 2. I'm longish apple because I know it will sell like hot cakes but I'd always prefer spending my money on the real thing.
    22 Jun 2014, 10:40 AM Reply Like