- Microsoft's (MSFT) rumored smartwatch will contain 11 sensors and sport "a slim band design that is said to resemble a thinner, flatter version of the Nike FuelBand," a source tells Tom's Hardware.
- The device is also said to be iOS/Android-friendly - Forbes previously reported something similar - and to (curiously) have a display "on the inside of the wrist as opposed to the outside." An October launch is targeted.
- Google showed off its Android Wear smartwatch platform last week at I/O - Samsung, LG, and Motorola are among the initial backers - and Apple is widely expected to launch an iWatch (or two) this fall. Wear only works with Android devices for now, and Apple has a long history of limiting support for non-Apple hardware.
- ZDNet's Mary-Jo Foley reports the next major version of Windows - codenamed Threshold, expected to be called Windows 9 - will "look and work differently based on hardware type," in order to appease keyboard/mouse users unhappy with Win. 8's changes. The traditional Windows desktop UI will be placed "front and center" on regular PCs; 2-in-1 devices will switch between desktop and Metro modes, and phones/tablets will be Metro-only.
- As indicated at the BUILD conference, the Start menu will return, replete with embedded live tiles, and users will be able to run Metro-style apps in desktop windows. A public preview is expected this fall ahead of a spring 2015 launch.
- Kantar Worldpanel's numbers (.pdf) for the March-May period suggest Windows Phone continues to struggle in the U.S. (3.8% smartphone share, -90 bps Y/Y), China (0.6% share, -240 bps), and Japan (1.4% share, +90 bps). It's faring a little better in the top 5 EU markets (8.1% share, +100 bps).
From other sites
at Zacks.com (Apr 9, 2015)
at Zacks.com (Apr 7, 2015)
at MarketWatch.com (Mar 27, 2015)
at Zacks.com (Mar 26, 2015)
at Zacks.com (Mar 25, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs