Apple roundup: Voice recognition, iPhone 6, PT hikes

• Wired reports Apple (AAPL +1%), which thus far has been relying on Nuance's (NUAN -2.2%) voice recognition tech to help power Siri, has built its own voice recognition research team. Former Microsoft research director Alex Acero is part of the team, as are ex-Nuance researchers.
  • The magazine adds Apple is looking to use neural networking algorithms to improve voice recognition; Google and Microsoft have also shown an interest in the technology. Nuance is selling off on the report.
  • Sonny Dickson (leaked iPhone 5S pictures last year) has leaked images said to show the 4.7" iPhone 6's screen covers. The edges of the covers (but not the area covering the display) are slightly curved.
  • Baird and BTIG have joined the parade of analysts to hike their Apple PTs. Baird (PT hiked by $7 to $102) cites optimism about iPhone demand and pending product refreshes.
  • Previous: Kantar's March-May iPhone numbers mixed
Comments (8)
  • bjnflicks
    , contributor
    Comments (1948) | Send Message

Yes, Apple is actively expanding its Siri type voice activated services into many new languages to boost sales in those areas of the world, and they are developing a Siri based search engine which we hope they can soon replace Google Search with on IOS. Google has been getting a cheap ride on IOS for along time now, and meanwhile trying to copy everything Apple does. Time for Apple to show Google who is boss. I beleve they will,
    1 Jul, 12:15 PM Reply Like
  • King Rat
    , contributor
    Comments (564) | Send Message

Ending with a comma leaves quite a cliff hanger leaving us all to wonder how Apple will show Google who is boss.
    1 Jul, 12:43 PM Reply Like
  • rrose39
    , contributor
    Comments (645) | Send Message

"I believe they will, by designing superior products."

How's that?
    1 Jul, 01:31 PM Reply Like
  • civ-e
    , contributor
    Comments (316) | Send Message

anecdotally, i don't see people using siri, including myself. when i do use it, i find there's some anxiety while anticipating whether it recognized the command, and making sure it's calling the right person (if ordering it to call someone); that together with the hit and miss success rate, i don't even bother with it anymore.
    1 Jul, 04:49 PM Reply Like
  • Budavar
    , contributor
    Comments (1387) | Send Message

The buzz around Apple's new products =
    has it come sooner this year than previously?

In the mean time, I enjoy watching the sea reflecting the sun,
    from my penthouse perch overlooking the Bay of Mexico + trust

>>> superior management producing
    >>> superior strategies, which create
    >>> superior executions which bring home
    >>> superior profits for us AAPL owners.

Smart-phone investing to all = pun intended indeed.
    1 Jul, 01:19 PM Reply Like
  • jlwarr
    , contributor
    Comment (1) | Send Message

Why doesn't Apple just buy Nuance?
    1 Jul, 02:53 PM Reply Like
  • azzuraskye
    , contributor
    Comments (45) | Send Message

It's worth persevering with Siri. I continue to find new ways to use this facility and I use two of them all the time: wherever I am I can tell Siri to "take me home" and she launches maps and starts giving me directions. Siri is also fantastic for reminders, especially when driving. I just press the button and tell Siri to remind me to do something when I get home, or at a specific date or time. Siri can send a message for you - I have noticed that the accuracy of voice recognition has improved a lot since I started using it. You gradually learn how to use Siri and Siri learns more about you.
    1 Jul, 05:52 PM Reply Like
  • OnlineStockTrading
    , contributor
    Comments (99) | Send Message

There is plenty of evidence that Android OS devices hold the lion's share of these key markets, as illustrated by this chart from MixPanel from February 2014. Android held 74% of the market in Brazil and Russia; 72% in India and 68% in China. There seems little doubt that Android devices will continue to benefit from the surging growth in BRICS markets for smartphones.

The relentless surge of Android has not only put pressure on Apple (AAPL) but also relegated alternatives to the Android-iOS hegemony to a tiny fraction of the market where BlackBerry (BBRY), Windows OS, Samsung's (OTC:SSNLF) Tizen OS, and Firefox OS struggle to carve out enough volume to be relevant. It is an interesting space to watch if you want to speculate on whether any of those operating systems can climb high enough up the food chain to mount a credible challenge to either Android or iOS, and at first blush it would seem unlikely that any will or could succeed.

Regardless, BRIC countries make up the growth segments in my view. Apple needs success in each to meet investor expectations for future growth.
    3 Jul, 03:00 AM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector

Next headline on your portfolio: