Winners and losers in fast-food survey

Fast-food consumers value quality to a larger degree than price, according to a new survey from Consumer Reports.

The publication calls the results a "wake-up call" for the industry.

In-N-Out Burger, The Habit Burger Grill, and Culver's ranked at the top of a list  based on food quality, value, and customer service.

McDonald's (MCD) didn't crack the top 20 for hamburger chains - while Taco Bell (YUM) only managed a #8 ranking in the Mexican fast-food category.

Papa Murphy's (FRSH) took down the top spot for pizza chains.

From other sites
Comments (9)
  • Alvin5007
    , contributor
    Comments (176) | Send Message

Not a representative survey and probably not important investment-related news. Consumer Reports subscribers are a highly select group. I don't know what their median income and education level is but I'm willing to bet it is much higher than the average Joe or Jane. Average Joes and Janes make up the vast bulk of McDonald's customers. And, do these competitors have play areas or Happy Meals?
    2 Jul 2014, 09:15 AM Reply Like
  • Rubygreta
    , contributor
    Comments (482) | Send Message

You are correct. I would also bet that the typical Consumer Reports subscriber is a liberal Democrat, and educated liberal Democrats have nothing but disdain for McDonalds.

Ironically, while high-income, highly-educated liberal Democrats profess their love of the little guy and the common man, they don't understand that the little guy and the common man eat at McDonalds because it is cheap, and because they like the taste of the food.

Sorry for the political rant. I couldn't help myself. And I love the Egg McMuffin.
    2 Jul 2014, 09:22 AM Reply Like
  • Shaduc
    , contributor
    Comments (2799) | Send Message

"I don't know what their median income and education level is but I'm willing to bet it is much higher "

Taco Bell is not Mexican-- maybe fast food American-M
    ex!
    2 Jul 2014, 09:35 AM Reply Like
  • Cfritter
    , contributor
    Comments (66) | Send Message

Well I'm buying long positions in In-N-Out Burger, The Habit Burger Grill, and Culver's...oh wait..never mind
    2 Jul 2014, 09:30 AM Reply Like
  • SteveTheHawk
    , contributor
    Comments (2155) | Send Message

So yeah.... you pay more... you get more. Pretty simple concept. We have dinner at Mickey's, it's maybe $10-$12 for my wife and I. At Culver's, it's $16 or $18, so I would expect it to be better. I guess it would depend on how much money the customer wants to spend.
    2 Jul 2014, 10:02 AM Reply Like
  • virginia long view
    , contributor
    Comments (174) | Send Message

Stick with mcd
    cheap, quick and on every corner.
    2 Jul 2014, 10:30 AM Reply Like
  • swampfox1
    , contributor
    Comments (113) | Send Message

OH!~~Virginia long view, you missed tasty.
    2 Jul 2014, 10:52 AM Reply Like
  • SlickNuge
    , contributor
    Comments (4) | Send Message

Wow. File this one under broad strokes.

Long MCD - and not worried about this report (menu, however, worries me a bit).

Thought on Papa Murphys: Once consumers realize that Dominos (and others) has made quality strides in the past few years, AND it's actually cheaper than Papa Murphy's...that WILL be a wakeup call.
    2 Jul 2014, 10:55 AM Reply Like
  • berloe
    , contributor
    Comments (2103) | Send Message

OK. Now I know where to eat and where to invest in.
    2 Jul 2014, 11:37 AM Reply Like