- Down more than 2% at the session low, the Stoxx 50 (FEZ) closed with a loss of 1.6%. Spain and Italy were each off about 2%, while Germany (EWG) lost 1.5%, France (EWQ) 1.3%, and the U.K. 0.7%. Portugal's PSI 20 Index dove 4.2%, led by Banco Espirito Santo's 17.2% loss (it was halted from trade before the market close).
- Previously: European banks tumble on Portugal trouble
- ETFs: VGK, FEZ, IEV, HEDJ, EPV, EZU, FEU, FEP, UPV, ADRU, FEEU, EURL, EURZ, DBEU, IEUR, FIEU
- With Europe closed, the U.S. is in rally mode, with an early 1% loss in the major averages now whittled down to a negligible amount.
- ETFs: VV, SCHX, FEX, JKD, EQL, EEH, IWL, ERW, FWDD, SYE
A bounce into the close, but Europe finishes sharply lower
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Jul 12, 2012)
at CNBC.com (Nov 30, 2010)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs