Valero expects below consensus Q2 earnings, shares -2.2% AH

• Valero Energy (NYSE:VLO-2.2% AH after saying it expects to report below consensus Q2 EPS from continuing operations of $1.10-$1.25; analysts had forecast a consensus $1.37.
  • VLO sees refining operating income higher Y/Y due to higher throughput volumes as well as wider discounts on sour crude oil and certain types of North American light crude oil, offseting weaker Y/Y gasoline and distillate margins in most regions.
  • VLO also expects to report a $0.12/share loss from discontinued operations, related primarily to a non-cash charge associated with recognizing an asset retirement obligation for the Aruba refinery.
From other sites
Comments (12)
  • vbbv
    Comments (107) | Send Message

Entry point?
    14 Jul 2014, 05:36 PM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2961) | Send Message

$44-45

$42 second purchase point if above area doesn't hold...imo of course.
    15 Jul 2014, 01:13 AM Reply Like
  • jeepnsam
    Comments (54) | Send Message

going down more after ER.
    I would wait
    14 Jul 2014, 05:38 PM Reply Like
  • 20322211
    Comments (183) | Send Message

Agreed on the waiting part. I entered VLO in 2012 @ $28 and was a bagholder throughout summer of 2013 when the crack spread narrowed. Finally got out in the $50s and would like to re-enter in the low $40s.
    14 Jul 2014, 05:42 PM Reply Like
  • DAG Investments
    Comments (4301) | Send Message

(NYSE:VLO) I may adjust later, but for now my call stands ... http://seekingalpha.co...
    14 Jul 2014, 06:15 PM Reply Like
  • Mike Maher
    Comments (2809) | Send Message

That's surprising, IMO. Very disappointing, clearly I've been wrong on $VLO.
    14 Jul 2014, 06:26 PM Reply Like
  • BTM
    Comments (436) | Send Message

You aren't alone.
    14 Jul 2014, 06:47 PM Reply Like
  • osooro
    Comments (86) | Send Message

I think you will be rewarded in the long term if you just put VLO into file 13 and revisited at a later date. Good companies with good management win in the long term.
    14 Jul 2014, 11:22 PM Reply Like
  • Hamdy Sadek
    Comments (180) | Send Message

I am disappointed too, VLO is the largest US refinery, has great value ratios and should have better results. I added more shares when it went down to $50 level but apparently I should have waited a bit more. So I guess I need to be a bit patient for the rest of the year and watch how the stock will progress from here.
    14 Jul 2014, 06:50 PM Reply Like
  • SpoiledRottenBrat
    Comments (880) | Send Message

You could be right about VLO, IMO.
    14 Jul 2014, 08:11 PM Reply Like
  • Tahoe_JC1
    Comments (55) | Send Message

Agree with the comments above that the following news is concerning. However, given that VLO is the largest refiner in the U.S., overall volume is up year-over-year, and no immediate plan to allow the future export of light crude has been mentioned from the DOE, I believe the stock is still a good long-term investment. Additionally, lets not forgot the current tensions in the middle-east brewing which may increase the brent price later this summer. I am very interested though in the primary cause for the loss… time will tell.
    15 Jul 2014, 02:03 AM Reply Like
  • arthur_bishop1972
    Comments (2961) | Send Message

Bigger div wd curb volatility imo.
    15 Jul 2014, 01:14 AM Reply Like