- After growing 2% Y/Y in Q1 (its first quarter of positive growth in some time), Yahoo's display ad revenue (ex-TAC) fell 7% in Q2 to $394M. A 24% drop in ad prices (hurt by mobile?) more than offset a 24% increase in ads sold.
- The display weakness comes as eMarketer forecasts Yahoo's share of global digital ad spend will fall to 2.52% in 2014 from 2.86% in 2013 and 3.36% in 2012.
- Search revenue (ex-TAC) was healthier: It rose 6% to $428M after growing 9% in Q1. Search click revenue (excludes Microsoft payments) rose 19%, with ad clicks growing 3% and ad prices 15%.
- Americas revenue (75% of total) -2%, EMEA +2%, Asia-Pac -8%. Opex +7% Y/Y to $1.002B, thanks in large part to rising R&D spend.
- Ahead of the Alibaba windfall, Yahoo ended Q2 with $4.3B in cash/marketable securities.
- YHOO now -2.1% AH. Prior coverage.