- QLogic (QLGC -10%) posted in-line FQ1 revenue to go with a slight EPS beat, and also guided on its CC (transcript) for in-line FQ2 revenue: $121M-$127M vs. a $124.7M consensus.
- But the company also forecast its gross margin will drop to 62%-63% from FQ1's 64.4%, and said it's "comfortable" with a 62-63% GM for the whole of FY15.
- Perhaps more worrying than the guidance itself is the explanation: A mix shift towards Ethernet product sales, which are expected to grow by $3M-$4M Q/Q. With QLogic's core Fibre Channel market expected to keep declining, the company is counting on Ethernet sales (a double-digit % of revenue following the purchase of Broadcom's Ethernet controller unit), along with its budding storage ASIC business, to drive growth.
- CFO Jean Hu previously estimated the Ethernet business has only a ~40% gross margin. When pressed yesterday on Ethernet's long-term impact on Emulex's margins, she argued the company will be able to reap "manufacturing cost synergies" beyond FY15.
- Archrival Emulex (ELX -2.3%) followed QLogic lower. The company reports on Aug. 7.
Check out Seeking Alpha’s new Earnings Center »
From other sites
at CNBC.com (Dec 30, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Aug 6, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Jul 2, 2014)
at CNBC.com (May 21, 2013)
at CNBC.com (Jan 15, 2013)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs