Amazon launches 3D-printed product marketplace

• Amazon's (AMZN -1.8%) 3D Printed Products store currently offers 200+ products that can be printed on demand. As one would expect, many of the items can be customized to user tastes.
  • For now, the store's listings leave something to be desired: They include custom 3D-printed cufflinks ($60), miniature swords ($9), vase toppers ($40), and "molecular earrings" ($30). Amazon is also cross-selling its existing 3D printer and CAD software offerings.
  • Amazon's store competes private Shapeways' popular 3D printing marketplace, and a slew of other sites that allow 3D-printed designs to be manufactured and/or shared.
  • 3D Systems (DDD -0.7%) sells products manufactured using its consumer-focused Cube 3D printers, and Stratasys' (SSYS -1.2%) MakerBot unit both sells items made using its printers and runs a popular 3D file-sharing site (Thingiverse). But neither printer maker is likely complaining about Amazon providing a fresh vote of confidence for the 3D printing market.
From other sites
Comments (13)
  • WFS
    Comments (32) | Send Message

minor typo: SSYS's file sharing site is "Thingiverse" (think universe of things") There's an extra N here, but the link works.

Follow the link to Thingiverse and then check out Amazon's http://amzn.to/1o6wfFX and you may find as I did that Amazon has some work to do (but hey, they like to spend lots of money, so I'm sure they're on it).
    28 Jul 2014, 12:22 PM Reply Like
  • SA Editor Eric Jhonsa
    Comments (1069) | Send Message

Thanks for catching. The typo has been fixed.
    28 Jul 2014, 12:24 PM Reply Like
  • WFS
    Comments (32) | Send Message

LOL, and I just changed my "there on it" to "they're on it". We're all so giddy about amzn's prospects that we can hardly type.
    28 Jul 2014, 12:26 PM Reply Like
  • trexia
    Comments (167) | Send Message

http://yhoo.it/1o7AG3m Puget (OTCPK:PUGE) 3D PRINTERS sold at Amazon website
    28 Jul 2014, 06:04 PM Reply Like
  • Andreas Hopf
    Comments (11984) | Send Message

Take an in-depth look at all of these stores: The same old trinkets & dustcatchers. Most of that stuff was available in one form or another five years ago. Some of it even ten.
    28 Jul 2014, 02:26 PM Reply Like
  • NLTInvestor
    Comments (354) | Send Message

what a joke. amazon wants to do everything and it can't churn out a good profit
    28 Jul 2014, 05:09 PM Reply Like
  • cajvpetan
    Comments (17) | Send Message

Finally, a game changer. /not

Inevitably reputable vendors in the sectors Amazon ventures into will forgo margins. With the influx of different retail websites and various fulfillment companies to satisfy the logistic needs, I find Amazon's future very tedious. They had 20 year head start to gain market share. It's only a matter of time before a fully functional website (similar to seamless/grubhub) arrives for grocery delivery. The big A also has a tendency of releasing competing products driving distributors away in hordes. Conflict of interest. Fight of sellers will result with flight of buyers.

And I'm not even mad about the late jar of peanuts. So much for prime.
    28 Jul 2014, 05:14 PM Reply Like
  • NLTInvestor
    Comments (354) | Send Message

they need to focus on what they do best which is online commerce...
    28 Jul 2014, 05:32 PM Reply Like
  • cajvpetan
    Comments (17) | Send Message

While Google is trying to be more prominent in critical infrastructure (fibre optics) and transportation, Amazon is venturing into 3D printing because of the obvious barriers to entry. Don't know how they plan to fund capx with no discretionary leverage over cogs.
    28 Jul 2014, 05:46 PM Reply Like
  • Benjamin Frost
    Comments (549) | Send Message

3D-printing's time has not come and I don't think it will for the foreseeable future.
    28 Jul 2014, 05:48 PM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (4555) | Send Message

No wonder they don't make any money. Sick of hearing about it, probably going to cancel prime when my sub runs out.
    28 Jul 2014, 07:35 PM Reply Like
  • Budavar
    Comments (1396) | Send Message

AMZN = The lack of focus = cont.
    29 Jul 2014, 12:00 PM Reply Like
  • mcahak
    Comments (2) | Send Message

This whole 3D and SSYS stuff has me totally flummoxed. I'm an amateur investor that reads you experts hoping to make a couple of bucks a day. The more I do this investing and the more I read what you folks have to say the more I think this business is closely akin to handicapping the ponies. It seems if the news for the day is rain in Wisconsin or snow in Miami the stocks are affected.
    I think I will quit "wringing my hands" each day and just get out my old horsehair dart board and do some serious investing.
    29 Jul 2014, 09:12 PM Reply Like