Box office optimism after 'Guardians' stuns

Marvel's (NYSE:DIS) Guardians of the Galaxy is on track to open with a weekend box office haul of $92M-$96M after sales came in extremely strong for Thursday and Friday.

The superhero movie could have some staying power based on its solid A CinemaScore rating and a 92% Rotten Tomatoes score.

The vibrant performance for Guardians comes at an opportune time for the movie industry with July theater ticket sales coming in at their lowest level since 1995 at $572M and at a paltry $14.3M per movie release.

Though some media analysts have pointed toward an oncoming seismic shift in how consumers want to view movies, Wunderlich Securities analyst Matthew Harrigan says an uninspiring film slate is the culprit. 2015 should see a bounce-back with The Avengers sequel, a James Bond movie, and the Star Wars reboot all on the release calendar.

Related stocks: RGC, AMC, CNK, IMAX, RLD, SNE, LGF, VIA, VIAB, CMCSA, TWX, MCS, RDI, CKEC.

Related ETFs: PBS

From other sites
Comments (15)
  • scott trader
    Comments (7016) | Send Message

Long disney imax and reald....they all have been solid stocks last year.....
    2 Aug 2014, 01:28 PM Reply Like
  • crash9010
    Comments (181) | Send Message

If you(anyone) had been paying attention they would not be surprised by the success of Guardians. Long Disney...just too many good things going on.
    2 Aug 2014, 03:02 PM Reply Like
  • chopchop0
    Comments (5199) | Send Message

Yup. it's an expensive stock for a reason. Quality through and through. Bought on the dip to 47, added at 77 and am not looking back.
    2 Aug 2014, 04:50 PM Reply Like
  • crash9010
    Comments (181) | Send Message

I would recommend adding on pull backs. Cheaper is always better when it comes to buying quality stocks.
    2 Aug 2014, 03:03 PM Reply Like
  • JasonMiles
    Comments (251) | Send Message

Lions Gate has Hunger Games coming out Thanksgiving.mkeep your eye on that.
    2 Aug 2014, 05:50 PM Reply Like
  • deercreekvols
    Comments (9595) | Send Message

Good call on Hunger Games.

Guardians was well advertised and it certainly paid off in a big way. Can't wait to see the "official" weekend total. Wow!

Long DIS and LGF.
    2 Aug 2014, 07:10 PM Reply Like
  • Transcripts&10-K's
    Comments (1215) | Send Message

Wow, $90M+ is well above what was expected (myself included - I thought we had a bust coming with a franchise that was stretching); will be seeing it tonight with these types of reviews!
    2 Aug 2014, 06:30 PM Reply Like
  • wigit5
    Comments (4365) | Send Message

Not only was Guardians a great movie (just saw it 2D) but nearly every movie preview showed at the theater prior to the movie start was a Disney movie. I think only the Expendables was non Disney...
    2 Aug 2014, 06:35 PM Reply Like
  • leorotter
    Comments (3) | Send Message

We loved Guardians Friday evening and accounted for three of the ticket sales. We couldn't get our favorite seats and ended up sitting much closer than we wanted, but forgot about that after the action started. I'm long DIS and CMCSA and hope to add to my positions over time. I believe that the movie industry is a microcosm of the economy as a whole and am optimistic that things are finally turning around, in spite of government policies.
    2 Aug 2014, 08:42 PM Reply Like
  • alpine
    Comments (2079) | Send Message

Why isn't anyone bullish on FOX?
    2 Aug 2014, 11:11 PM Reply Like
  • leorotter
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Hi, Alpine, glad I caught your posting. I own (control) some FOXA also, but am down a few points in the stock and didn't think I should try to stuff that into my Guardians comments. I'm bullish on FOX and will add to the position if I can. I can't buy 'em all . . . or can I? Allocate, allocate, allocate. Other sectors are calling out to me and I've been a little slow to dive into media stocks.
    3 Aug 2014, 09:59 AM Reply Like
  • psychological-dividends
    Comments (820) | Send Message

Saw it. Loved it.
    3 Aug 2014, 10:32 AM Reply Like
  • Dave Andrews
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I would have to agree with this assessment of the summer box office. B.O. could be used in two ways in this case.

As a person professionally trained for the film industry (The Florida State University Film School) and having two careers, one in film, the other in IT, I usually see a movie a week during the summer, and sometimes more than one per week. I probably wasn't at one per two weeks this time around.

Amazingly, while it looks like the 6 movies with $90m+ openings this summer are all from different companies, 4 of the six are actually Marvel properties, with even the other two (Transformers and Godzilla) also having a relationship with Marvel, who published the comic book series' for each of them in the 70's through 90's.

The entire industry had better be on their knees thanking Marvel or this year would have been a complete disaster.
    3 Aug 2014, 11:09 AM Reply Like
  • Matthew Davis
    Comments (4746) | Send Message

This was just a surprisingly great fun flick. Loved it, will consider seeing it again in theaters.
    4 Aug 2014, 02:02 AM Reply Like
  • Ikonita
    Comments (40) | Send Message

"an uninspiring film slate is the culprit." Well, I guess I'm that one person that was inspired. I thought this was the best summer for blockbusters in a long time. I've practically seen one IMAX movie per week since Winter Soldier came out, and few a non-IMAX movies (Apes and X-men), which I rarely do.
    4 Aug 2014, 07:24 AM Reply Like