Russia bans food imports in response to Western sanctions

After shrugging off Western sanctions for months, Vladimir Putin has fired back at the West with retaliatory measures.

Russia has now banned the import of a wide range of food items including fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, milk and dairy from the U.S., EU, Australia, Canada and Norway.

PM Dmitry Medvedev also commented on the proposed airspace flight ban for EU and U.S. airlines saying a final decision had not yet been reached.

ETFs: RSX, RUSL, RSXJ, ERUS, RUSS, RBL, RUDR

From other sites
Comments (26)
  • Vasiliy
    Comments (56) | Send Message

Putin faithful and devoted disciple of Stalin.
    In average, Russia imports 70% of consumer goods.
    In medicine and electronics Russia imports up to 100% of the goods.
    But Putin itself has a sufficient stock of medicines, food and toilet paper.

Like stalin, putin is ready to beat their own people so that other people can fear.
    7 Aug 2014, 06:32 AM Reply Like
  • Kershaw
    Comments (267) | Send Message

My sentiments exactly Vasiliy. Putin is most definitely trying his best to model himself after one of the most evil and vile dictators of the 20th century. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he's rounding up anyone within Russia who opposes him, or God forbid thinks differently. Perhaps gulags will once again be used to help control the masses.

Putin will do everything in his power to remove any positive developments that have made Russia a more open society over the past 3 decades.

Sadly, I believe that this saga, as the Carpenters sang, "has only just begun". Who knows how bad the USA and especially the EU and Russian economies will be affected at this point.
    7 Aug 2014, 09:06 AM Reply Like
  • Dantes_Will
    Comments (404) | Send Message

"I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he's rounding up anyone within Russia who opposes him."

Haven't been following Putin long? That's pretty much his MO. The only country with more secret political prisoners is China, and that's only because they have drastically larger population. Not to mention the outright assassination of political figures too pubic to be hidden and jailed. Do a search for "radiation poisoning, putin". Thats just one of many... who know's the total number of people Putin has imprisoned or have killed.

The guy is living in the 80s thinking he's the next coming of Stalin. Delusional and dangerous.
    7 Aug 2014, 09:51 AM Reply Like
  • Moon Kil Woong
    Comments (13192) | Send Message

Putin should read old communist literature before he bans food imports. When the people can't get food you get revolution. For Russia, the sooner the better. Rise up and throw off your fat corrupt socialist government and embrace the free market.

Putin knows Russia can't support its population with food. That is one reason he wanted Ukraine (the bread basket of Russia). Or maybe he was too dumb to think of that and just wanted the military port and oil reserves. He should think a little. Not just the population wants good food, you need good food to keep your military going too (an army walks on its stomach). Putin definitely likes his military even if he could care less about the rest of the population.
    7 Aug 2014, 12:16 PM Reply Like
  • Shaduc
    Comments (2905) | Send Message

Russia swore off our chicken legs. But not to worry.
    Noel King Aug 7, 2014
    Russia's sanctions against importing food from the West shouldn't affect the U.S.
    Posted In: Russia, sanctions, imports

What do sanctions do, anyway?
    Lizzie O'Leary Aug 1, 2014
    The U.S. and E.U. placed more sanctions on Russia for its actions in Ukraine.
    7 Aug 2014, 10:36 PM Reply Like
  • kellan
    Comments (144) | Send Message

Yet another brilliant move by narcissistic Putin to ban the import of healthy food from the west. Resulting in food shortages and higher food prices for an already unhealthy population of long suffering Russian people.
    7 Aug 2014, 06:37 AM Reply Like
  • june1234
    Comments (4252) | Send Message

Wouldn't call McDonalds who warned its own employes not to eat its food, heathy. http://nydn.us/V0qaEs
    7 Aug 2014, 08:20 AM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

Health food from the west like hamburgers, pizza, donuts, fried chicken, coke, french fries, sugar / salt / trans fats, and more sugar / salt / and trans fats, I guess. We know how healthy those foods have been to the population in the USA and in Europe, do we not?
    7 Aug 2014, 09:25 AM Reply Like
  • JohnBinTN
    Comments (4341) | Send Message

Interesting. The ban, as stated above, includes "fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, milk and dairy"... That automatically equates with McDonald's, donuts and pizza?
    7 Aug 2014, 09:32 AM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

Fruits, vegetables, milk, .... are universal products or produce. They are not classified under "western food"; but hamburgers, donuts,etc. are.

I reiterate my earlier statement, i.e., western manufacturing & marketing cos that sell these products in Russia will lose business.
    7 Aug 2014, 09:42 AM Reply Like
  • JohnBinTN
    Comments (4341) | Send Message

We can disagree on this one... "wide range of food items... from the U.S., EU, Australia, Canada and Norway."

I missed where it said "western food".
    7 Aug 2014, 09:46 AM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

It's been said by a commentator above, and mine was in response to his words "health(y) food"
    7 Aug 2014, 09:50 AM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

Even though the Russian measures (above) are made to sound as if they are limited to only the "importation" of foodstuffs, the Russian patriotism and solidarity that I had witnessed during my work years there will not let the local businesses of McDonalds, CocaColas, Pepsis, PizzaHuts, etc. remain unaffected from this economic counteroffensive by Russia,

Russia, the EU, the USA will all be affected economically by the sanctions.

Then, when every country's economy has suffered enough, the sanctions will be lifted and the markets will turn to the Yellen's and the Draghi's with the expectations of miraculous measures to save the global economy.
    7 Aug 2014, 06:46 AM Reply Like
  • yv204
    Comments (178) | Send Message

Oh, of course, Russia not importing smoked salmon from Norway is going to ruin the global economy. Please. In other news, using words like solidarity, especially in combination with "patriotism," shows pretty clearly where your own convictions lie.
    7 Aug 2014, 11:41 AM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

@yv204

I made it clear that I was speaking about the patriotism and the solidarity that I had observed among the Russians themselves for their country and for their people, when I was stationed in Russia as a foreigner (working for a US company).

If I said that I've seen too many obese people when I was in the USA (and I have), it would not mean that I am either obese or American. It would only be a reflection of what I have seen in the USA. It would not tell you anything about my political convictions, either, unless of course you would make it up yourself, just like you did above, about "my convictions (!)", my foot!
    7 Aug 2014, 12:32 PM Reply Like
  • yv204
    Comments (178) | Send Message

Oh gosh, I guess you just got brainwashed by the local Russian media and are deeply misguided. Or implausibly naive - take your pick. The point stands, however, the use of the word solidarity (especially grouped with"patriotism") has distinct Soviet undertones, is common as rain in Russia, and is virtually unknown outside of it.
    7 Aug 2014, 01:04 PM Reply Like
  • Debutant
    Comments (2776) | Send Message

In fact, the word / labor union action "Solidarity" has been instrumental in the collapse of communism in Poland (and later the USSR), but you would not know that.

The Soviets, with their dogma, propaganda, organization, and whatever little supporters were history already 4 years before I had landed on the former Soviet soil for the first time ever (Kiev, as a matter of fact), but you would still think that the Soviets or the Communism are still around, or, there was Soviet propaganda in Russia and Ukraine when I lived there in the mid-nineties.

It this kind of "I know everything about the world" mentality that makes the USA lose wherever they go, from VietNam to Iraq; via Afghanistan. The friends of America wish that America really knew what was going on, and prepare accordingly. But, alas, not possible with that "You must be a commie because you said the Russians are patriotic people" mentality.

Please do not bomb my home with a US "Patriot" missile. Oops, I said "patriot" again.
    7 Aug 2014, 02:55 PM Reply Like
  • Degenerate Gambler
    Comments (1001) | Send Message

Whew at least they didn't ban tobacco imports.
    7 Aug 2014, 09:47 AM Reply Like
  • User 13556602
    Comment (1) | Send Message

I work hard to be ahead of the most people in Russia, but still I can't say I'm rich, there're a lot of people, who can afford more than I can. And I really hate living here the more I live, the more I hate it, I hate that my daughter will have to live here as well. I'm 27, my wife is 26 and my child is under 2.

We have a family business, so my parents support Putin's regime, they are in their age, when you are afraid to lose everything and start from the beginning, so it's easy to let it go, to not say a word to support this sh*t, that's happening, but I'm fully against it and I support Navalny. Do you know who him, he is brave enough to stand against this crazy empire alone. Please you better spread the word about Navalny, not Putin. They just keep him jailed against our laws against human laws, all the judges are bought, every court was filmed on camera.

All the truth about our government is written here navalny.com, I'm sorry it's in russian, you will need to translate, but if you really interested not in RT beautiful propaganda this is the right source.
    7 Aug 2014, 09:56 AM Reply Like
  • Dantes_Will
    Comments (404) | Send Message

Are you a Russian citizen?

I'd be careful posting anti-Putin messages from an IP inside Russia. People inside Russia who have a public history of speaking out on the internet are guaranteed to get a visit from the information department goons sooner or later.
    7 Aug 2014, 10:34 AM Reply Like
  • mitrado
    Comments (2033) | Send Message

Well, they have enough free space for Agriculture... I guess they'll just have to eat more locally produced food. It can't be that bad.
    7 Aug 2014, 11:46 AM Reply Like
  • th3decider
    Comments (475) | Send Message

Having a lot of free space doesn't mean having a lot of arable land for agriculture. Siberia isnt exactly optimal for growing and most food shortages these days are caused by bad economic policy, not a lack of ability to grow food.
    7 Aug 2014, 12:13 PM Reply Like
  • mitrado
    Comments (2033) | Send Message

You're surely joking... right? Russia extends from Poland to near the USA, covering the whole of Asia. They have enough arable land for themselves and for the rest of the world. It's a question of will and hard work.

Also, banning foods from these countries just means other countries will be favoured. it doesn't mean that Russia will stop importing food altogether.
    7 Aug 2014, 01:50 PM Reply Like
  • Sundowner
    Comments (312) | Send Message

Food Fight!
    7 Aug 2014, 12:27 PM Reply Like
  • 11146471
    Comments (1346) | Send Message

All this sanctions hype by both parties is a plain stupidity and disastrous for both economies.

It's not wise to put Russia out of our global economic system, when we can have them attached to our globalized society and earn dividends and profits from our investment and trade with them.

It is really a pity that this sanction-hype is now plunging Europe into recession again. Also US corporations are affected (take a look at McDonalds, Visa, MasterCard etc.) together with large European caps (Daimler, Total, BP etc.).

Moreover by sanctioning Russia we actually "push" them to bond strong ties with China and other emerging markets (S. Africa, Brazil, Argentina, India) and marginalize USD in their bilateral trade. They have also set up an I.M.F. type of fund plus a World Bank type of institution for their own purposes, in order to avoid the western influences into the core of their economies.

Think again: Russia has strategic resources needed by all emerging economies (Oil, NatGas, Nickel, Diamonds, Gold, Timber), they can easily sell these to other parties outside the OECD block. See what happened with their gas: Europe needs it but they have made agreements to sell it to China who needs it more!

European economy cannot find alternatives for Gas and Oil. They desperately need Russian resources, they have invested billions to set up infrastructure (pipelines, and terminals) like Nord-Stream (a German-Russian JV) and they consider Russia to be a reliable partner (stable sovereign state), not like Iraq, Libya or Iran. Now where will they turn?
    7 Aug 2014, 04:15 PM Reply Like
  • afali
    Comments (8) | Send Message

Food (after oil) will be the next economic chess piece that countries use to wage war against one another. Clearly Puntin read "Animal Farm", I could only imagine how the Russian people must feel now.
    10 Aug 2014, 06:07 PM Reply Like