Interest grows in drugstore stocks

• Drugstore stocks are on the move as investors continue to shift assets into consumer staples stocks.
  • Walgreen (WAG +2%), CVS Caremark (CVS +0.8%), and Rite Aid (RAD +1.8%) are all higher on the day.
  • The trio is also helping lift  the Consumer Staples ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) to a 1% gain to stay ahead of broad market averages.
Comments (9)
  • BlueOkie
    , contributor
    Comments (6739) | Send Message

WAG has taken a hard fall. Still down for the year
    11 Aug 2014, 02:43 PM Reply Like
  • mbn
    , contributor
    Comments (609) | Send Message

The 12/31/13 closing price was 57.44. You are not down on the year.

Your larger gains are down, but if you held and did not panic sell, like a long-term investor should, then you lost nothing.
    11 Aug 2014, 04:32 PM Reply Like
  • jesstradin
    , contributor
    Comments (131) | Send Message

I still think WAG is a good long term story.Never even heard of the term tax inversion until early 2014.It seems the news almost forgot WAG raised its dividend.JT
    11 Aug 2014, 03:19 PM Reply Like
  • popeye305
    , contributor
    Comments (523) | Send Message

What ever happened to the Rite Aid "double-digit" crowd here on Seeking Alpha?? Must be on vacation these last several weeks, right? (lol). Actually, I am long Rite Aid, but know too well that revenue growth and margins had better start matching Walgreens/CVS OR BETTER. I say better since most here give prior management of Rite Aid a thumbs down, big time as I do based on more knowledge than I care to remember, and current management the thumbs up. That being the case, to an extreme, which this writer/shareholder believes is way overdone, should mean much more room for numbers improvement as compared to Walgreens/CVS, who were already going on all cylinders for many more years. Yet with Rite Aid we are still waiting to see more results. Either way, I believe the stock is a good investment, because if the numbers don't continue to improve, Rite Aid now looks like the classic buyout candidate. A sale of part or all of the company may soon present itself. Let's see, but the above should bring the "double-digit SA crowd out of hibernation, at least long enough to come to the blind defense of current Rite Aid management.
    Double digit crowd, Ready, set, go..............
    11 Aug 2014, 03:56 PM Reply Like
  • chongkim74
    , contributor
    Comments (1184) | Send Message

lol..enjoyed ur short reverse psychology comment on RAD..Rad is doing good. No need for acquisition of RAD or panic, like you wrote. I am really LONG RAD.
    4 Sep 2014, 04:23 PM Reply Like
  • Aattai
    , contributor
    Comments (15) | Send Message

I am still searching for a newly remodeled store in LA/OC area...everywhere I go I find old and tired stores :-(
    12 Aug 2014, 01:05 AM Reply Like
  • popeye305
    , contributor
    Comments (523) | Send Message

Aattai

Voila! 300 North Canon Drive in Beverly Hills is one of the newest and nicest Wellness remodeled stores in the whole company. Give it a try. We shareholders would like some of your money!
    12 Aug 2014, 08:17 AM Reply Like
  • flynnskinc1
    , contributor
    Comments (21) | Send Message

I think that the Seeking Alphans are getting a little discouraged with RAs performance of late. We all became a bit spoiled over the last year. I think we are looking at an uphill climb here for the foreseeable future. Interest seems to have waned. Volume is way down. I have to recite my mantra every morning: Longgg, longgg, longgg.....!
    12 Aug 2014, 11:19 AM Reply Like
  • popeye305
    , contributor
    Comments (523) | Send Message

flynnskinc1

Oh, the wonders of human nature. Only now, with the stock price down some 20% from the highs, and the hedge funds presumably taking their money and run, does performance suddenly enter the picture. This writer has continuously been attacked because all along he has been commenting on store "performance" even as he was making a whole lot more money on this stock before than today. Performance always trumps the stock price, and the performance is not consistent throughout the FULL store base. No matter what this writer knows personally, no matter what each one of you could know by reading the online reviews which show spotty store execution, with some good performance BUT too much bad performance still, it did not matter to the arm chair experts here. So long as the stock is going up, we will attack anyone who spoils the party. Now we go back to basics and can only hope that what senior management promised at the Annual Meeting actually happens. This writer only gives that less than 50/50 odds, knowing the players as I do, however, as previously indicated rumours of a buyout will begin anew again, and with a lack of much better improvement a deep pocketed activist will materialize to force a sale. That, I have very little doubt about. The question is when and I expect to not be waiting very long.
    12 Aug 2014, 12:11 PM Reply Like