Who's taking Wal-Mart's U.S. market share?

The dollar store group (DLTR, FDO, DG, BIG) and select grocery store chains (KR, SWY, SVU) are slight out-performers on the day after Wal-Mart's (WMT +0.1%) Q2 report indicates it lost some market share in the U.S.

Edward D. Jones analyst Brian Yarborough attributes the limp sales growth for Wal-Mart in the U.S. to the retailer's inability to nab the quick "milk and bread" runs by consumers due to the massive size of its stores.

That line of thought is consistent with the stronger growth numbers put up lately by convenience store operators such as Circle K (OTCPK:ANCUF), 7-11, Pantry (NASDAQ:PTRY), BP Connect (NYSE:BP), On the Run (NYSE:XOM), Speedway America (NYSE:MPC), Kwik Shop (NYSE:KR), and Qwiktrip.

From other sites
Comments (16)
  • maudie
    Comments (487) | Send Message

Wow! And they did it w/o government interference? Funny how that works.
    14 Aug 2014, 01:17 PM Reply Like
  • CoSyBob
    Comments (146) | Send Message

In our county , half an hour above Colorado Springs , WMT's grocery are cost competitive for the "value" shopper with the local SWY and KR in only a few areas distinctly not including milk .
    14 Aug 2014, 01:29 PM Reply Like
  • joem24
    Comments (6) | Send Message

Several times I have gone to Walmart late at night to purchase a few articles and walked out without purchasing because very few cashier stations were open and the check-out lines were extra long.
    14 Aug 2014, 01:52 PM Reply Like
  • sarichter
    Comments (572) | Send Message

I would have to agree. Not only were the people shopping were rude, but after ordering something online for local pick-up, it took 40 minutes after entering the store to leave with my purchase. That's entirely too long for a process that is supposed to be streamlined.
    14 Aug 2014, 02:07 PM Reply Like
  • fairdeal
    Comments (2) | Send Message

That's why I haven't been in a Walmart in over 5 years. GREED.... Go to Target, they have cashiers waiting to serve you.
    15 Aug 2014, 09:49 AM Reply Like
  • sarichter
    Comments (572) | Send Message

Yes sir... I try to avoid going there period. This last trip was out of sheer desperation, but I won't let that affect me next time! I'll have to learn a little patience.
    15 Aug 2014, 11:20 AM Reply Like
  • samuel_liu
    Comments (2753) | Send Message

"Target, they have cashiers waiting to serve you."

Mainly because the business at Target in San Antonio Shopping Center (near Mountain View) is virtually empty compared to the Walmart across the street.
    16 Aug 2014, 08:47 AM Reply Like
  • Nico 10
    Comments (2) | Send Message

Try going to Sam's club as a merchant. Your 30 minutes shopping ( if they are not out of high usage sales items), turns into an hour as you will need the equal time to check out.
    14 Aug 2014, 03:15 PM Reply Like
  • harley96
    Comments (29) | Send Message

When I die my qualifications for getting into heaven will be that I have never been in a Wal-Mart and I have never owned a cell phone. Surely the pearly gates will fly open for me unrestrained!
    14 Aug 2014, 04:11 PM Reply Like
  • xomstock
    Comments (439) | Send Message

It was about 10 years ago. A cold and stormy night. My daughter was throwing her guts up at 3 in the morning. She was 4 at the time.

After helping clean up the puke I told the wife I am going to walmart to get some pedalight or whatever you call it.

Now I am not going to lie to you I always hated walmart for what they have done to all the mom and pop shops but I would shop there when I had to.

Go in get the pedialite and head to check out. one lane open and three people waiting. It would be kind to say that the checkout woman was Retarded and an insult to special needs folks everywhere. I felt like laying down a 10 spot and walking out. Never again.

I shop at Fiesta and then Krogers then HEB in that order. I do not go to that third world freeforall know as walmart anymore.
    14 Aug 2014, 04:31 PM Reply Like
  • comsense8
    Comments (25) | Send Message

The public needs to do some comparison shopping to learn that on many essential items like T-P and paper towels their prices are are consistently higher than our regular supermarkets. And other things. I thought electronic accessories like cables were very high.

Their marketing people bite you on the small stuff.

I go there for a very few things I cannot get elsewhere.
    14 Aug 2014, 09:17 PM Reply Like
  • sarichter
    Comments (572) | Send Message

I'd rather go to another store and pay a little extra to avoid the trash in the trashy customers and underpaid workers. Never again!
    15 Aug 2014, 12:13 AM Reply Like
  • moefaless
    Comments (3) | Send Message

Yep, they wanted $20 dollars more for the same auto battery I found at Autozone. Definitely NOT the lowest prices.
    14 Aug 2014, 10:45 PM Reply Like
  • Oldstockguru
    Comments (140) | Send Message

I have a sam's club business card to buy gulf cart batteries, they check me out and load my batteries at the back door, no waiting and good service. I use the batteries to power my beach house with solar, so all stores are not the same, just like any store, good management is the key.
    15 Aug 2014, 09:47 AM Reply Like
  • Halfatuna@aol.com
    Comments (22) | Send Message

My feeling is,Wmt should buy a paper products business for their own brands, I could be wrong..however it's a positive way for growth..I do own it and think its a keeper..
    15 Aug 2014, 06:59 PM Reply Like
  • marpy
    Comments (1689) | Send Message

Walmart started going down hill when Sam Walton left this earth. They used to be innovative, ahead of the pack and consistently had lower prices and better service. This is now history.
    20 Aug 2014, 10:45 AM Reply Like