Ford preps for Mustang launch in right-hand drive markets

Ford (NYSE:F) says it's testing the first right-hand drive Mustang after finishing the prototype.

The automaker plans to sell right-hand-drive Mustangs in 25 global markets during 2015 including the U.K., Australia, and South Africa.

From other sites
Comments (22)
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

While I'm a big Ford believer, I don't expect much from the RH Mustang. Those markets are used to very well handling cars. While the Mustang shines in power to weight and straight line performance, it can't complete on handling. I do expect a certain "I have one" affect. Just don't think it will satisfy those "drivers" beyond the coolness factor.
    19 Aug 2014, 08:30 AM Reply Like
  • Tdot
    Comments (8692) | Send Message

Well, it seems you missed out on the very important point the 2015 Mustang goes to an all new IRS setup, specifically designed for "those markets [that] are used to very well handling cars", not to mention the handling enthusiasts in the Mustang's traditional North American market. The front suspension is new as well, and the weight distribution is 52% to the front.

Google it.
    19 Aug 2014, 10:38 AM Reply Like
  • starcorral
    Comments (1648) | Send Message

Really? Better do a little research and test driving. I've seen and run with virtually stock Mustangs in events with Porshe and Corvette and still account well for themselves in the lead pack - with solid rear axles. Now - with IRS and extremely competent chassis on the horizon the gapo will be all but closed.
    19 Aug 2014, 11:18 AM Reply Like
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

Sorry guys we are just going to dis-agree on this one.
    I still feel that most non-Americans would prefer a Focus ST for the pure driver aspects. While I agree that the Mustang has gotten much better (my understanding) I still feel the Focus ST with an almost 50% better power/weight, better handling and much cheaper gas/insurance/tax bill would be the popular choice by far. How Americans feel about it really doesn't enter into it. Check out Utube to see what they are driving. Not even close.

19 Aug 2014, 12:49 PM Reply Like
  • Tdot
    Comments (8692) | Send Message

Fair enough. The customer for a front-weighted FWD Fiesta RS or Focus ST, or anything from the Asian Drifting crowd, is not by any means the same as that for the RWD Mustang muscle pony car. And Fiesta and Focus are huge sellers in Europe. We'll concede that point.

That said, the reception from the crowds during the unveiling of the 2015 Mustang in Geneva was, to say the least, enthusiastic. Ford should not have much trouble selling them.
    19 Aug 2014, 05:36 PM Reply Like
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

As a holder of 20% of my portfolio in Ford...I hope you are right.
    19 Aug 2014, 06:13 PM Reply Like
  • crazty4tennis
    Comments (1195) | Send Message

Excited for Ford and UK, Australia, and South Africa. Very hopeful that it will do well in these countries. The Mustang is a thoroughbred of a sports car that's equally fun and attractive. Will it be able to compete in these markets? Definitely! Go for it Ford!
    19 Aug 2014, 09:03 AM Reply Like
  • Blue Max
    Comments (3) | Send Message

I wonder if Ford up the MPG, gas isn't cheap in the right-side markets. I don't know how many units they can sell.
    19 Aug 2014, 09:54 AM Reply Like
  • ReynoldsCC
    Comments (130) | Send Message

Why don't they mention Japan? They drive on the left too. Are Nipponese restrictions on imports still too hard to overcome?
    19 Aug 2014, 10:44 AM Reply Like
  • rwbrown.bvf@gmail.com
    Comments (103) | Send Message

Good point about Japan. They have never traded "fairly", especially in autos.
    19 Aug 2014, 09:57 PM Reply Like
  • fernando mangino
    Comments (205) | Send Message

It was about time for those markets to enjoy what we Mustang lovers have experienced all this 50 years of a true AMERICAN IKON no other vehicle has gone so far with several generations lets go FORD
    19 Aug 2014, 10:15 PM Reply Like
  • starcorral
    Comments (1648) | Send Message

If a sports car nut wants a good handling car with an extremely competent chasis, amazing performance and braking, and a quiet, comfortable ride, why would a Mustang not be a viable alternative to something better that costs 6 times as much? No it is not a Ferrari, but it is a four seater that will run all day with cars costing twice as much. Value sells everywhere.

Japan is not worth mentioning; Ford can sell plenty elsewhere.
    20 Aug 2014, 06:11 PM Reply Like
  • geojack2112
    Comments (6) | Send Message

The new Mustang Independent Rear Suspension is going to be a Monster. Ford will sell as many as they can build.
    20 Aug 2014, 06:34 PM Reply Like
  • starcorral
    Comments (1648) | Send Message

We are seeing quite a bit about naturally aspirated ultra high specific output engines from Italy where exotics exceed 125 horsepower per liter as engine speeds exceed 8,500 rpm. All breathing through expensive double overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder heads, these engines are only viable for more expensive cars. The only exception was the original Honda S2000 (now discontinued) which produced 120 hp/ltr @ 8,300rpm.

The 2012 6.2 litre supercharged Corvette engine only made 638 horsepower - 103 hp /ltr. Meanwhile the much simpler, lighter 5 ltr. Mustang "Coyote" engine made 444 hp per liter - 89 horsepower per liter, and forthcoming models have been tested with the same engine easily delivering 100 hp/ltr. in epa certifiable form; Ford has successfuly stepped from OHV to DOHC engine design in the V8 format - a feat Chrysler won't do and one GM tried and failed.

In addition Ford is working on a flat plane version of the Coyote which uses 180 degree rather than 90 degree connecting rod joural spacing for stonger net torque and horsepower output. There is additional vibration which is relatively inexpensive to dampen, but the engine sounds sound is almost indistinguishable from that of the the Ferrari 458 Italia. This engine should be capable of achieving 110 - 120 hp/ltr. in epa certifiable form.

I mention all this because a DOHC 550 - 575 horsepower 8000 + rpm Ford naturally aspirated 5.0 ltr. engine is something better compared with the best of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche than anything American. Only one Japanese engine can compare - the Lexus V-10 in a $500,000 car.

Should Ford and Linoln decide to take the 2015 Mustang back to the drawing board to conceive a 2 -seat car capable of running with the best Europe has to offer at a price in the 2015 Corvette Z06 or 2015 Cadillac CTS-V, they should have little problem succeeding.

As a car enthusiast, I identify with the path Ford is pursuing. I enjoy sharing in ownership of the company.
    21 Aug 2014, 11:57 AM Reply Like
  • rwbrown.bvf@gmail.com
    Comments (103) | Send Message

Why not drop in the twin-turbo Ecoboost V6 from the SHO and F-150? Monster
    torque all thru the rev range, lots of room to tweak the output, especially on
    European 91 Octane fuel. The original SHO was one of those free-breathing
    high rpm engines, and incredibly tough. I once saw the tach on my 89 Autocross
    racer pass the 9000 rpm mark (apparently no rev limiter!) with no damage, this
    on an engine with 135,000 miles. The Ecoboost engine is maybe even tougher,
    puts out roughly double the horsepower and torque almost effortlessly, and gets
    better fuel economy.
    21 Aug 2014, 01:30 PM Reply Like
  • Tdot
    Comments (8692) | Send Message

It would seem like a 360 hp class 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Mustang should slot very nicely between the 310 hp 2.7L I4 EcoBoost and the 435 hp 5.0L V8. Actually I sort of thought Ford was already doing this - i had to look it up to see that they were instead using the old 300 hp 3.7L with no turbocharger to be the V6 entry. Bummer.

Anyway part of the problem is that Europe places hefty taxes on engine cylinder counts, and engine displacements in half-liter increments, so the 2.7L I4 is far more sensible than a 3.5L V6. But for the US? Bring it on!
    21 Aug 2014, 05:22 PM Reply Like
  • hertzracer
    Comments (35) | Send Message

Rijensen.
    Last week I was lucky enough to spend some time at a Ford event at the Product Development Center in Dearborn. Two 2015 Mustangs, one 5.0 automatic and one 5.0 6spd, as well as half a dozen 2012 and 2013 Boss 302's were there and we got to run hot laps on a short road course in all the cars. As a 13 B302 owner, I hate to admit it, but both 2015's ran as quick if not quicker around the road course than the Bosses. Keep in mind the Boss is a no frills purpose built Mustang, with a forged motor and pretty much built for the road course enthusiast. The 15's were just stock, out of the box 5.0 2015 Mustangs. None of the cars, succumbed to almost 6 hours of continual abuse. It was impressive to say the least and in speaking to the engineers present, the smaller displacement turbocharged models will probably be as quick if not quicker, depending on final engine displacement. A Boss version of the 2016 or 17, should be a monster.
    BTW, I also got to see the new aluminum F-150. The truck is gorgeous (as far as trucks go) and takes on a more aggressive appearance...beginning to resemble a Super Duty at first glance. The engineers were pretty tight lipped about fuel mileage, but speculation is mid to upper 20's (highway) with the ecoboost engine, depending on how the driver can control his right foot (boost), which sounds about right, as compared to a comparable 2014.
    22 Aug 2014, 10:18 AM Reply Like
  • Tdot
    Comments (8692) | Send Message

"mid to upper 20's (highway)" would be consistent with Ford presumably targeting the meeting or beating of the Ram 1500's 25 and 28 mpg (highway) for the 3.6L V6 HFE gas and the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel respectively.
    22 Aug 2014, 01:22 PM Reply Like
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

Hertz,
    Thx for the info. Nothing would make me happier than to know that the Stang was now way more than a straight line machine. My wife had a Grande when I met her. It was great on the highway and especially when you needed a reason to pass and stomp.

As for the new ones, I had occasion to rent them for business and haven't been in one for at least 2 years. I did get my wife a 2013 Escape SEL (2.0L) and I'm telling you that thing both moves and handles great. I was amazed!

My 17 yr old won't even drive my SUV because he only wants to drive the Escape. I'm hoping for a new Explorer or F-150 (Yea! Aluminum) next year. Hopefully the 150 will get 29 Hwy (That is the magic number I hear they are shooting for)
    22 Aug 2014, 02:50 PM Reply Like
  • hertzracer
    Comments (35) | Send Message

Rijenson,
    Just as an FYI, in speaking to Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak, the ONLY way he received the funding to develop and then get the green light for production for the 2012 Boss 302 was to guarantee the corner offices that the Boss would beat the M3 on a road course (presumably any road course)... and it did. The IR in my 2003 SVT Cobra was smooth, but the 8.8 in my Boss is bullet proof....
    23 Aug 2014, 08:28 AM Reply Like
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

Hertz,
    All great news. If it is that good this could be a game changer for Ford.
    23 Aug 2014, 04:59 PM Reply Like
  • RicJensen
    Comments (3583) | Send Message

Hertz,
    I just got this from my Ford dealer today. (Independent Rear!!!)
    29 Aug 2014, 01:33 PM Reply Like