- Shares of Burger King Worldwide (NYSE:BKW) shoot higher in early trading after the company confirms it's in talks to buy Canadian restaurant operator Tim Horton (NYSE:THI).
- Combined, the two restaurant chains operate 18K outlets and churn up $22B in sales.
- The early take from restaurant analysts is that the merger could create enormous synergies, although a hit to the Burger King brand would be risked by relocating its headquarters to Canada to seek out lower taxes.
- 3G Capital is the majority owner of Burger King.
- BKW +7.0% premarket to $29.01.
at CNBC.com (Nov 14, 2014)