- IDC estimates global server sales rose 2.5% Y/Y in Q2 to $12.6B. That marks a turnaround from the 2.2% drop seen in Q1, and the 4.4% drop seen in Q4. Gartner estimates sales grew 2.8%.
- IDC declares the server market, hurt in recent quarters by system consolidation and a shift in demand towards the white-label gear beloved by Web giants (referred to by IDC as ODM Direct), is seeing "the beginning of a cyclical refresh cycle." It sees the pending launch of Intel's (NASDAQ:INTC) Grantley Xeon CPUs, along with Microsoft's plans to end Windows Server 2003 support, lifting sales into 2015.
- Sales of x86 servers (mostly Intel-based) rose 7.8% in Q2, and now make up 78% of industry revenue. Non-x86 server sales fell 12.8%.
- Market leader H-P's (NYSE:HPQ) share rose 40 bps Y/Y to 25.4%, with x86 growth offsetting Itanium weakness. #2 IBM's share fell 340 bps to 23.6% ahead of the sale of its x86 server ops to Lenovo; on the bright side, IBM's decline narrowed from Q1's 600 bps.
- #3 Dell's share fell 160 bps to 16.2%. #4 Oracle's (NYSE:ORCL) grew 10 bps to 5.9%, with engineered system growth offsetting declines for older UNIX/SPARC server lines. #5 Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO), which recently proclaimed its UCS server ops are on a $3B/year run rate, saw its share rise 140 bps to 5.8% on the back of 35% growth. Cisco should pass Oracle in a quarter or two.
- ODM Direct vendors saw their share grow 110 bps to 6.6%. The shares of all other vendors rose 190 bps to 16.1%.
- Related tickers: SMCI, MLNX, QLGC, ELX
Server growth positive in Q2; IBM loses share, H-P/Cisco gain
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (May 20, 2015)
at CNBC.com (May 18, 2015)
at CNBC.com (May 14, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (May 12, 2015)
Video at CNBC.com (May 11, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs