- Microsoft's (MSFT +0.4%) Lumia 830 delivers a PureView camera at a lower unsubsidized price point (€330/$429) than existing PureView hardware. Like the high-end Lumia 930, the 830 combines PureView with a 5" display and aluminum body, but its resolution (720p vs. 1080p) and CPU (1.2GHz. quad-core) have been downgraded.
- Nonetheless, The Verge likes the 830's lower weight/thickness relative to the 930, and (during a brief test) was impressed with the 10MP camera's daylight shots. "This is the handset the 930 should have been."
- Also launched: The Lumia 730 and 735, proclaimed by Microsoft to be "selfie" phones due to their inclusion of 5MP front cameras with a wide-angle lens and a fast f/2.4 aperture. Other specs are largely mid-range - a 4.7" 720p display, a 6.7MP rear camera (albeit with Carl Zeiss optics), and the same CPU as the 830 - as are respective retail prices of €199 and €219. The 735 differs from the 730 through its LTE support.
- The phone launches coincide with the release of Lumia Denim, a Windows Phone 8.1 update that includes a Cortana voice assistant revamp - a feature called "Hey Cortana" enables Google Now-like hands-free activation - and a slew of camera improvements.
- With app support remaining a concern for many, IDC estimates Windows Phone had only a 2.5% smartphone share in Q2, down from 3.4% a year earlier. Shipments are estimated to have fallen by 800K to 7.4M.
- Thanks in large part to feature phone declines, Microsoft has forecast its phone unit will see revenue fall to $1.9B-$2.3B in the Sep. quarter from $3.9B a year ago. 12.5K of Microsoft's 18K job cuts are expected to hit the phone division, roughly cutting its size by half.
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Wed, 4:37PM)
Video at CNBC.com (Wed, 11:15AM)
Video at CNBC.com (Wed, 8:05AM)
Video at CNBC.com (Tue, 4:54PM)
Video at CNBC.com (Thu, 3:40PM)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs