Seeking Alpha

China reportedly ends its unofficial embargo of exports of rare earth minerals to the U.S.,...

China reportedly ends its unofficial embargo of exports of rare earth minerals to the U.S., Europe and Japan, although shipments to Japan still encountered some difficulties, industry sources tell NYT. REE -9.6%, MCP -9.8%.
Comments (5)
  • Gary Jakacky
    , contributor
    Comments (2741) | Send Message
     
    No doubt after taking a short position in REE and MCP. <sigh> Its kind of late in the year for the sap to be rising in the trees, isn't it?
    28 Oct 2010, 01:56 PM Reply Like
  • labas112
    , contributor
    Comments (369) | Send Message
     
    I agree. I shorted MCP yesterday.
    28 Oct 2010, 01:57 PM Reply Like
  • DaJoker
    , contributor
    Comments (106) | Send Message
     
    I'm envious...looked at it all day..didn't have the balls to pull the trigger w/ the POMO train staring me in the face. Congrats!
    28 Oct 2010, 02:08 PM Reply Like
  • Richard Mackenzie
    , contributor
    Comments (453) | Send Message
     
    Now that they've completed "discussions" with the mineral producing companies in China, and having gotten guaranteed lock-ups of 90% of their production... It's now ok for them to export that remaining 10% to anyone they please. After all, it's a free market!
    28 Oct 2010, 02:01 PM Reply Like
  • positivethoughts
    , contributor
    Comments (2011) | Send Message
     
    If no other country stands up to China now, things will just get worse. China constantly pushes its weight around like a bull in a gift shop and the U.S., Japan, Australia and others cowher in fear. How long do you think China could last if their exports to some more established markets were restricted or interfered with as they have done to Japan with precious metals? Not very long in my estimation. If no one wants to stand up to them, we might as well just give them our assets now and forgoe the struggle against what seems to be on the horizon.
    28 Oct 2010, 02:15 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Hub
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs