Seeking Alpha

The rise in cotton prices has been 'terrifying' and could force U.S. retailers like Gap (GPS),...

The rise in cotton prices has been 'terrifying' and could force U.S. retailers like Gap (GPS), J.C. Penney (JCP) and Wal-Mart (WMT) to pay their Chinese suppliers as much as 30% more for clothes. The price hikes, unsurprisingly, will probably be passed along to consumers.
From other sites
Comments (2)
  • Tony Petroski
    , contributor
    Comments (6373) | Send Message
     
    " The rise in cotton prices has been terrifying..."

     

    Sherman through Atlanta. That was terrifying. The Chinese?

     

    We'll manage.
    16 Nov 2010, 10:31 AM Reply Like
  • Tommy_Finger
    , contributor
    Comments (320) | Send Message
     
    "...raised the price of T-shirts it sells to Ralph Lauren to $4 each, from $3.20 in July."

     

    If Polo T-shirts are going for $20 or so (I have no idea), there's no reason whatsoever the price of clothing should rise when margins are so fat.

     

    Looks like that 10% of super wealthy Americans are benefitting from cheap Chinese labor while the remaining 90% are being told to lay the blame 'elsewhere'.
    16 Nov 2010, 12:14 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Tools
Find the right ETFs for your portfolio:
Seeking Alpha's new ETF Hub
ETF Investment Guide:
Table of Contents | One Page Summary
Read about different ETF Asset Classes:
ETF Selector