The real battle for smartphone combatants Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) may not be against each...

The real battle for smartphone combatants Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG) may not be against each other - it may be against dumbphones. While smartphones now account for a record 27% of phone shipments, that means the other 73% of the market has yet to be penetrated. Which means it may be less predictable (and less discountable) than expected.

From other sites
Comments (6)
  • tigersam
    , contributor
    Comments (1707) | Send Message
    Also they are against RIMM. Unless RIMM is classified as dumbphone.
    19 May 2011, 01:34 PM Reply Like
  • InvestOrSwim
    , contributor
    Comments (7) | Send Message
    Dumbphone marketshare will shrink as smartphones drop in price.
    This bodes well for Google but not Apple.
    19 May 2011, 01:45 PM Reply Like
  • phoneranger
    , contributor
    Comments (348) | Send Message
    I am not sure AAPL wants to convert feature phones or dumb phones to iPhones. It's not how they work. Too declasse. Android is too fragmented to make a single push into this space. If RIMM or MSFT/NOK could get their acts together and develop a cheap, somewhat smart phone (that does the things people want and with a battery that lasts until 7PM) they could be in the game. But they won't.
    19 May 2011, 01:49 PM Reply Like
  • kmi
    , contributor
    Comments (4584) | Send Message
    There are already 'feature phones' which are dumbphone comparable being built on the Android platform.


    It's a market Apple will never access with it's one-size-fits-all strategy.


    Even RIMM makes a 'feature phone' which masquerades as a dumbphone - the 9105:

    19 May 2011, 02:52 PM Reply Like
  • Steve Walkman
    , contributor
    Comments (139) | Send Message
    73% of the market not being penetrated is a good thing.
    19 May 2011, 03:15 PM Reply Like
  • Fr33f0rm
    , contributor
    Comments (300) | Send Message
    That's actually an interesting idea. If Blackberry decided to stop competing in the "smartphone" space and started advertising itself as a "no internet but email" phone it would have a huge market with minimal competition.


    As PCs got faster and faster (and faster than the needs of most business) Dell and HP survived by developing relationships with businesses and creating workstation PCs.


    Blackberry would do amazingly well by using the same market strategy. 3 Functions: email, bluetooth, phone.
    19 May 2011, 03:22 PM Reply Like
DJIA (DIA) S&P 500 (SPY)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs