Today - Monday, January 26, 2015
7:14 AM| Comment!
- After months in which European officials had been debating whether it was time to begin rolling back Russian sanctions, the talk now is how to tighten them.
- Pro-Moscow rebels, backed by what NATO says is the open participation of Russian troops, pressed on with their offensive on Sunday after restarting the war in eastern Ukraine.
- The EU has called an emergency meeting of foreign ministers, while President Obama said he was considering all options short of military action to isolate Russia.
- ETFs: RSX, RUSL, RUSS, RSXJ, ERUS, RBL
- Global markets are jittery as investors digest news that left-wing, anti-austerity Syriza party won a general election in Greece on Sunday.
- Party leader Alexis Tsipras has already moved to form a coalition that will work to reverse years of austerity measures imposed on Greece by the Troika.
- The euro dropped to a fresh 11 year-low after initial results came out, falling as far as $1.1098 vs the dollar, although it is now up 0.3% at $1.1240 amid speculation that the victory won't push the nation to exit the currency bloc.
- Athens' ATG stock index is down 1.1%
- FTSE 100 -0.3; DAX +0.3; CAC 40 flat; Euro Stoxx 50 -0.1.
- ETFs: GREK
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs
Next headline on your portfolio: