Today - Monday, January 26, 2015
- Pfizer (NYSE:PFE), through Gavi the Vaccine Alliance, will discount its pneumonia vaccine, Prevenar 13, 20 cents for the world's most resource-limited countries. The per-dose price will drop from $3.30 to $3.10 for the four-dose vial product. The discounted price will be extended to all Gavi-eligible and Gavi-graduated countries through 2025.
- Previously: Pfizer Prevanar 13 helps to almost halve certain type of pneumonia (March 12, 2014)
4:44 PM| Comment!
4:34 PM| Comment!
4:21 PM| Comment!
- Thinly-traded micro cap Actinium Pharmaceuticals (ATNM +17.9%) jumps on a 2.5x surge in volume albeit on turnover of only 275K shares. Earlier today, the company announced that it submitted a request to the FDA for a pre-IND meeting for Iomab-B for the conditioning of bone marrow transplant in older relapsed and refractory acute myeloid leukemia patients, for which there are no FDA-approved therapies.
- The company intends to start a Phase 3 trial assessing Iomab-B for this indication by mid-year.
- Thinly-traded nano cap Transgenomic (TBIO +18.5%) heads north again today on 50% higher volume albeit on turnover of only 79K. Shares have jumped over 60% since the company announced the Q1 launch of its Multiplexed ICE COLD-PCR (MX-ICP) product line.
- MX-ICP is an ultra-high sensitivity DNA amplification technology that allows the simultaneous detection of multiple mutations in multiple genes from either tumor or liquid (blood, urine) samples.
- The FDA approves the Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) from Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (TEVA -1.8%) subsidiary Ivax Pharmaceuticals for a generic version of AstraZeneca's (AZN -0.2%) Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium delayed-release capsules). Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that reduces stomach acid.
- The primary indication is the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in adults and children at least one year old. It is also cleared for the reduction in risk of gastric ulcers associated with the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the treatment of stomach infection from Helicobactor pylori in conjunction with certain antibiotics and the treatment of conditions where the stomach produces excess acid, including Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
- It is the first generic esomeprazole to gain regulatory clearance in the U.S.
- Gilead Sciences (GILD +1.4%) and pharmacy benefits manager EnvisionRx enter into an agreement whereby Sovaldi and Harvoni will be offered on an exclusive basis to EnvisionRx patients for the treatment of HCV infection.
- Consistent with PBM industry practice, exceptions will be allowed for other HCV medications in certain circumstances.
- Financial terms are undisclosed.
- Related ticker: (ABBV +0.3%)
1:10 PM| Comment!
- Centene (CNC +1.3%) acquires Eugene-based Agate Resources, a diversified holding company that offers a variety of healthcare products and services to Oregon residents.
- Chairman and CEO Michael F. Neidorff says, "We view the Oregon CCO (coordinated care organization) model as consistent with our philosophy that healthcare is best delivered locally. Agate has demonstrated success working closely with providers and key community stakeholders and we are committed to maintaining that approach in the future."
- The transaction, expected to close in Q3, will be accretive to earnings in the first year following the close. Financial terms are undisclosed.
12:30 PM| Comment!
- Brookdale Senior Living (BKD -10%) slumps on a 3x spike in volume after the company announced that it expects to report Q4 cash from facility operations (CFFO) of $0.53 per share, which is $0.10 lower that Q3's $0.63.
- Management lowered its 2015 CFFO guidance to $2.60 - 2.75 from $2.95 - 3.10.
- The company plans to report Q4 and full-year results on February 4 after the close. The conference call be held the next day, February 5, at 10:00 am ET.
- Consensus view for Q4 and 2014 are EPS of $0.64 and $2.60 on revenues of $1.23B and $3.81B, respectively.
- Thinly-traded nano cap Heat Biologics (HTBX +13.7%) is up in early trading on a 50% spike in volume albeit on turnover of only 33K shares. This morning it announced the presentation of positive data from a Phase 1 trial that demonstrated substantially increased tumor infiltrating lymphocytes following treatment with HS-410 (Vesigenurtacel-L) in patients with non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. The increase in these lymphocytes appeared to correlate with the clinical response observed with HS-410.
- An interim analysis of the 10-patient study is expected in H1.
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs
Next headline on your portfolio: