Contributor Partnership Program Terms and Conditions
By agreeing to these terms you understand the following:
- By selecting "An article that can be published only on Seeking Alpha" (herein referred to as "exclusive article") when you submit an article, you agree that should your submission be selected for publication - it will be subject to the terms below.
- By indicating an exclusive article you agree to make Seeking Alpha your exclusive publisher for that article should it be accepted for publication, and grant a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, fully-paid up (subject to required payments hereunder), exclusive license to make any use of the articles and the derivative works of the article, for free use on a website. You therefore agree that you have not published it or made it available, and will not publish it or make it available (or any article substantially similar) for free use on any other website including any blog or in any other media, technology or method. You may publish a headline and/or brief summary/snippet of the article elsewhere (up to 250 words but no more than 1/3 of the total article) and link to the full article on Seeking Alpha. The brief summary or snippet may not include charts or images.
- Seeking Alpha, at its sole discretion, unless you expressly opt out, can select certain exclusive articles to be published to the SA PRO platform as Must Read, PRO or PRO Top Idea.
- Exclusive articles will accrue earnings based in the form of a Base Payment and based on the number of times an article is read on the Seeking Alpha site (pageviews); exclusive articles published as PRO or PRO Top Idea will earn a guaranteed minimum payout (Guaranteed Earnings) and/or a payout additive to all other earnings. Mobile pageviews and pageviews resulting from contributors viewing their own articles are not included in pageview payments.
- Exclusive articles selected for PRO or PRO Top Idea are available exclusively to SA PRO subscribers for the first 24 hours after publication (Embargo Period) following which they are accessible to all Seeking Alpha users for approximately 30 days. Following general availability, PRO and PRO Top Idea articles are archived and available only to SA PRO subscribers.
- Exclusive articles may also be published by Seeking Alpha on select partner platforms in order to generate more publicity for the articles and for Seeking Alpha.
- Currently applicable rates for payment per Base Payments, Pageviews and Guaranteed Earnings, as well as details of the Embargo Periods and Free Access periods, are included in the Payments section below. Seeking Alpha reserve the right to adjust these rates and periods at any time and at our sole discretion.
- Seeking Alpha takes reasonable commercial measures to prevent articles from being republished by other websites or via other technologies. However, Seeking Alpha is not liable for any actions of third parties, including publication of exclusive articles without Seeking Alpha's consent.
- Seeking Alpha takes certain steps to ensure articles are free from plagiarism. Proper attribution of content taken verbatim from other sources requires the use of quotation marks and attribution links or footnotes. This includes passages taken verbatim from SEC filings, press releases, and other company documents and sources. Plagiarism can also include the submission or posting of content that is repurposed from other sources and presented without reference to the content's creator. This includes content that is paraphrased from another source or could otherwise be deemed by a reasonable person to be a derivative work. Seeking Alpha reserves the right to determine if content contains plagiarism and may, at its discretion, remove plagiarized content and withhold all payment for exclusive articles judged by us to contain plagiarized elements.
- Seeking Alpha, at its discretion, may withhold or offset all payment for exclusive articles under any of the following circumstances: i) if we believe that inappropriate methods have been employed to increase traffic (for example, page-views generated through non-genuine article readership or fraudulent acts such as click spam, bots, macros and internet agents), ii) if your article (or any article substantially similar) is published on other sites with or without your permission, and is therefore not published only on Seeking Alpha, iii) if your article is removed from the site and/or article feeds and lists for any reason by Seeking Alpha.
- Seeking Alpha's aggregate liability to you under the Program for all claims of any sort will be as follows: (i) for claims relating to a specific article, the amount that it has paid you for that article; and (ii) for all other claims, the amount that it has paid you for articles under this program during the 6-month period prior to your bringing your claim.
- Seeking Alpha or its payment processing provider may send you notification emails updating you as to the status of your articles and payments, and related to your registration, banking and tax details.
- We may terminate or change the Program at any time. You may terminate your participation in the Program by not submitting any additional exclusive articles. Termination of the Program or of your participation in the Program shall not terminate any license rights to Seeking Alpha for previously submitted articles.
Additional Terms for the Premium Author Program (SA Marketplace):
- Authors approved for the SA Marketplace as Premium Authors set their own yearly subscription pricing for their publications. Monthly pricing is, unless otherwise requested and approved, determined by dividing yearly pricing by 8.
- Seeking Alpha receives 25% of all collected subscription revenue as a platform fee; the author receives the other 75%.
- Payments to Premium Authors are made monthly and are based on earned subscription income for that month. Earned income is calculated by looking at the amount collected from subscribers and amortized daily over the subscription period. For example, the monthly payment for a $200 annual subscription purchased by a user would be 1/12 of $200 ($16.67) less 25% for a total of $12.50, assuming the user was subscribed at the beginning of the month. The monthly payment for a $25 monthly subscription would be $18.75.
- Subscribers may unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked. Users who unsubscribe will receive a pro-rated refund for any unused months on their subscription. There is no minimum payment. In all such cases, the same 25/75 split will apply on all collected funds.
- While refunds are pro-rated, Seeking Alpha may at its discretion decide to issue a retroactive refund.
- Subscription businesses take time and effort to build. In this light, Premium Authors are asked to commit to their Premium publications for a minimum of one year from launch. This is not a legal obligation, but a request to ensure we’re partnering with authors who are committing to giving premium publications a fair shot. However, authors may, at their discretion, opt out of SA Marketplace at any time, resulting in a pro-rata refund of all outstanding collected fees to subscribers.
- Authors agree that Seeking Alpha can market their Premium publications across the Seeking Alpha site and newsletters as well as on select partner platforms or marketing channels in order to generate more publicity for the publications and SA Marketplace.
- Authors own the copyright to all material created within their Premium publications. Seeking Alpha hosts authors’ content on their behalf.
- Seeking Alpha does not offer investment advice. Seeking Alpha is a platform for providers (authors) to publish investment analysis for their subscribers (readers), for which Seeking Alpha takes a nominal platform fee. It is the responsibility of authors and readers to ensure that all their communications, marketing and content are in compliance with generally accepted principles of investment advisory, and to seek legal advice if unsure as to the legality of their publication.
- Seeking Alpha does not review, edit or curate the content published by Premium Authors to their subscribers.
- Communications between authors and subscribers through Seeking Alpha will not include specific, personalized investment advice to the subscriber. If the author is a registered investment advisor the author will include this in the author’s bio and advice provided to a subscriber will be clearly presented by the author as their own advice and not that of Seeking Alpha.
- Authors who are company insiders are explicitly prohibited from publishing any content in their publications that relates to their company.
- Authors will make best efforts to regularly publish content to their premium publication.
- We may terminate or change the SA Marketplace terms at any time. We may, at our sole discretion, remove a Premium Author from the program. When a Premium Author is removed from the SA Marketplace, the applicable publication/s will be discontinued, and Seeking Alpha will refund any unfulfilled portion of the subscriber subscriptions.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the banking details and/or other payment information you provide to Seeking Alpha are current at all times. Seeking Alpha will not be responsible for paying any banking fees, other charges or interest, including without limitation fees or charges resulting from your failure to comply with these terms, such as those incurred for not being able to pay you, or restoring payments to you that were paid into the wrong account if your payment information is not up to date.
- If you are a U.S. person (as defined under U.S. tax law), you agree to provide us with your U.S. tax identification number and a fully-completed Form W-9. We may require submission of other forms for individuals outside the U.S. You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of these forms and for paying all taxes on the amounts we pay you. Both parties agree that you are an independent contractor for Seeking Alpha, and not an employee.
- Any payments that accrue to you but that cannot be paid out due to lack of accurate payment or tax information, or if you request that Seeking Alpha hold your payments, will revert to Seeking Alpha after a period of 12 months. In addition, if we are unable to make payment to you, amounts owed may be subject to state escheat or unclaimed property laws.
- Also, we reserve the right to charge you, or offset against future payments, if you provide incorrect account information, for charges imposed on us by the payment services you choose, or for amounts paid for articles submitted by you that we later learn are not owned by you.
- When submitting an article for consideration, you may select any of the payment options that appear in the Payment Method section of the Contributor Center. Please note that payments can only be made into an account in your name or bearing an email address identical to that which we have on record. Payments will not be made to third parties.
- Payments will be made monthly according to the payment details you provide to Seeking Alpha.
- Payments will be made within 30 days from the end of each month. We strive to pay out much quicker than that.
- Please notify as soon as possible if a payment appears to have been missed or is incorrect.
- Payments will only be made if there is a minimum of $100 due on your account. Accrued earnings of less than $100 will be rolled over to the next payment period and held for no more than 12 months.
- The pageview earnings rate ("PV Rate") is subject to change and is quoted in $U.S. per 1,000 pageviews. Pageviews of your articles during each period will accrue earnings for you based on the PV Rate published for that period. Details of the amounts accrued for each of your articles and payments made will be published on your Author Board.
||PRO Free Access Period
|PRO Top Idea
||30 days after publication
||30 days after publication
*Subject to eligibility as determined by Seeking Alpha
**Rate based on every 1,000 article pageviews
Last Updated: November 22, 2015