PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 14, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Galena Biopharma (GALE), a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing innovative, targeted oncology treatments that address major unmet medical needs to advance cancer care, today issued a letter to its shareholders in response to recent media attention stemming from an article by TheStreet.com.
Due to the recent media attention on Galena Biopharma that we acknowledge is having an impact on investor confidence, we felt it necessary, as a service to our shareholders, to publicly respond to the discussions and set the record straight.
The genesis of this attention is due to a single reporter, Adam Feuerstein from TheStreet.com, who clearly has an agenda when it comes to Galena. This can be evidenced by his numerous, tabloid-like articles on the company that have appeared over the past three years and are sensational but largely devoid of true information. The article this week is just another in the line, which for us have become noise.
Mr. Feuerstein has never requested a meeting with the company to understand the details of our programs or the goals of the company. On the contrary, his requests for information are consistently accusatory and negative. As a result, we do not feel it is worthwhile to engage him or respond to other media outlets that serve to advance his agenda. However, we do recognize that you, our shareholders, deserve a direct response on the matters at hand.
The only facts in Mr. Feuerstein's most recent article that are remotely accurate are that Galena previously engaged the DreamTeamGroup and that insiders at the company, including me, divested shares in mid January. All other accusations in this article as with his prior reporting on Galena are specious and conveniently arranged to create controversy.
Over the past year, we have accomplished the following:
- Acquired Abstral® (fentanyl) sublingual tablets, implemented a commercial team, launched the drug in October 2013, and currently have approximately 5% of the branded market after only four months of launch. Abstral is part of a class-wide Transmucosal Immediate Release Fentanyl (TIRF) Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) program designed to mitigate the risk of misuse, abuse, addiction, overdose and serious complications due to medication errors with the use of TIRF medicines.
- Initiated our RELIEF Patient Registry trial for Abstral.
- Continued to progress our pivotal, Phase 3 PRESENT trial for NeuVax" (nelipepimut-S) and added another commercial partnership with Dr. Reddy's in India.
- Progressed enrollment with our Phase 2b combination trial with NeuVax and Herceptin® (trastuzumab).
- Expanded our Intellectual Property with an issued patent for NeuVax in Europe.
- Advanced our pipeline with the initiation of a Phase 2 trial with GALE-301, and we expect to report the Phase 1 data mid-year.
- Broadened our portfolio into hematology with the acquisition of Mills Pharmaceuticals and anagrelide controlled release, now GALE-401.
These facts about Galena and our progress are indisputable and clearly demonstrate our dedication to the mission of transforming Galena into a leader in providing therapeutics across the entire cancer-care spectrum. My expectation is that 2014 will unlock additional opportunities that will undoubtedly serve to benefit all who are connected to the success of Galena most importantly those individuals who are unfortunately confronted with the specter of cancer.
Looking ahead, I would hope that all investors, stakeholders and the media judge Galena on our ability to meet our publicly stated goals. Let success or failure be dictated by facts and data, not the questionable logic of a headline-seeking reporter.
We look forward to further updating you on our progress during our earnings conference call next month. Thank you for your continued interest in Galena.
Mark J. Ahn, Ph.D.
President & CEO
About Galena Biopharma
Galena Biopharma, Inc. is a Portland, Oregon-based biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing innovative, targeted oncology treatments that address major unmet medical needs to advance cancer care. For more information visit www.galenabiopharma.com .
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the progress of our commercialization of Abstral and clinical trials of our product candidates, including NeuVax and GALE 401, as well as statements about our expectations, plans and prospects. These forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks, uncertainties and assumptions, including those identified under "Risk Factors" in Galena's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2012 and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2013 filed with the SEC. Actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by these forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update any of these forward-looking statements to reflect a change in our views or events or circumstances that occur after the date of this press release.
CONTACT: Remy Bernarda VP, Marketing & Communications (503) 405-8258 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Galena Biopharma 2014 GlobeNewswire, Inc.