Wed, Sep. 16, 11:01 AM
- A statement from Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD +5%) indicates the company must make a formal offer for SABMiller (OTCPK:SBMRY +19.5%) before October 14 or take a pass on the mega-merger to stay in compliance with U.K. law.
- There's a ripple effect with beer stocks circling the globe that includes distributors such as Compania Cervecerias Unidas (CCU +3.1%), Fomento Economico Mexicano (FMX +1.8%), AmBev (ABEV +2.1%).
- Another intriguing aspect of a potential A-B takeover of SABMiller is the side effects on the food industry if 3G Capital is fully engaged on the deal. 3G is a major player in food mergers and a factor in how investors value companies such as Mondelez International (MDLZ +0.2%), PepsiCo (PEP +0.4%), TreeHouse Foods (THS +0.1%), Campbell Soup (CPB +1.9%), JM Smucker (SJM +1.1%), and other food names.
- A-B InBev statement (.pdf)
- Previously: AB InBev prepping offer for SABMiller
- Previously: Beer stock rally with M&A on tap
Fri, Apr. 24, 11:01 AM
- Continuing details on numerous corruption scandals, sluggish economic growth, and credit downgrades are garnering most of the headlines out of Brazil, but the Bovespa's 2.1% gain today has that index higher by 21% since a late-January bottom.
- A 70% gain in Petrobas over the last month and 25% for Vale lead the way. The banks are also on the move, though less subdued: Banco Santander Brasil (NYSE:BSBR) and Itau Unibanco (NYSE:ITUB) are up 13% and 16%, respectively. Banco Bradesco (NYSE:BBD) - recently the subject of a Goldman downgrade - is off 6% over the last month and 19% YTD.
- The iShares MSCI Brazil ETF (NYSEARCA:EWZ) has lagged - its top three holdings are Itau Unibanco, Ambev (NYSE:ABEV), and Banco Bradesco. The ETF is flat YTD, though higher by 15% over the last month.
- ETFs: EWZ, BRF, BRZU, EWZS, BRXX, BRAQ, BZQ, BRAZ, BRAF, UBR, DBBR, FBZ
Dec. 18, 2014, 5:39 PM
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:38 PM
Jan. 24, 2014, 5:39 PM
Apr. 30, 2013, 4:10 AMAnheuser-Busch Inbev (BUD): Q1 Ebitda of $3.43B misses by $0.14B. Revenue +1.5%. Volume declined by 4.1%, led by an 8.2% plunge in Brazil; China volume rose 15.5%. Cost of sales rose 3.8% due to input costs. Gross margins shrunk 96 bps to 57.4%. Shares -2.9% in Brussels. (PR, Bloomberg) | Apr. 30, 2013, 4:10 AM | Comment!
Feb. 29, 2012, 3:13 PMSpain's Repsol (REPYY.PK -5.6%) follows shares of its Argentine subsidiary YPF sharply lower on worries President Fernandez could announce greater intervention into the oil giant's operations on Thursday. The Argentina ETF: ARGT -2.4% - also taking a hit as YPF no doubt makes up a nice chunk of its holdings. | Feb. 29, 2012, 3:13 PM | Comment!
Aug. 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
ABEV vs. ETF Alternatives
Companhia de Bebidas das Américas—AmBev is the successor of Companhia Cervejaria Brahma (“Brahma”) and Companhia Antarctica Paulista Indústria Brasileira de Bebidas e Conexos (“Antarctica”), two of the oldest brewers in Brazil. Antarctica was founded in 1885. Brahma was founded in 1888 as... More
Other News & PR