Anglo American Platinum Ltd.OTCPK - Current
Sep. 9, 2015, 7:52 AM
- Sibanye Gold (NYSE:SBGL) agrees to acquire the Rustenberg platinum mining and concentrating operations in South Africa from Anglo American Platinum (OTCPK:AGPPY, OTCPK:AGPPF) for at least 4.5B rand ($331M).
- The deal involves an upfront payment of 1.5B rand, with a minimum deferred payment of 3B rand, equal to 35% of cash flow generated by the operations, making 20B rand the maximum potential value of the deal.
- The sale allows Amplats, which had considered separately listing the mines, to focus on shallower, lower cost and more mechanized operations as platinum prices fall to multi-year lows.
- For SBGL, the deal will boost future cash flow to pay dividends if the miner can lower costs and raise production as has happened at four aging gold mines.
- SBGL +3.9% premarket.
Jul. 21, 2014, 4:36 AM
- Anglo American's (OTCPK:AAUKY) subsidiary, Amplats, is planning to sell its Union mine, Rustenburg operations and a joint venture in South Africa.
- The move will reduce the miner's staff count by 20k, and follows a continuous five-month strike against the company by the AMCU union.
- The mine is expected to be sold to Sibanye Gold (NYSE:SBGL), whose CEO Neal Froneman announced a wish for a platinum deal before the end of the year.
- ETFs: PPLT, PTM, PLTM, PGM