Mon, Oct. 20, 3:59 PM
- Citigroup upgrades Freeport McMoRan (FCX +1.5%) and three other names in the mining and energy sector, attracted to their valuations after stocks in its coverage area have been hit by the recent correction in the broader market, even as it downgrades Cliffs Natural Resources (CLF +2.2%).
- Analyst Brian Yu raises FCX to Neutral from Sell following the price decline, saying that while the company remains highly leveraged to global growth based on its copper and oil exposure, FCX has been aggressively selling assets to manage the balance sheet.
- Consol Energy (CNX -0.1%), Newmont Mining (NEM +2%) and Alliance Holdings (AHGP +1.9%) are all lifted to Buy from Neutral.
Mon, Jul. 28, 7:07 AM| Comment!
Sun, Jul. 27, 5:30 PM
Fri, May. 16, 5:03 AM
- The White House is considering forcing power plants to cut carbon emissions by 25% over a 15-year period, Bloomberg reports.
- The problem is that owners can only cut so much of a facility's emissions by increasing efficiency, so a lot of the reduction could have to come by "going outside the fence," such as by deepening the use of renewable energy, improving grid efficiency and encouraging customers to use less electricity.
- Trying to compel operators to rely on such external measures could run afoul of what the government is allowed to do under the Clean Air Act.
- ETFs: KOL, XLU, IDU, VPU, RYU, PUI, UPW, FXU, SDP, PSCU, FUTY, UTLT
- Coal Tickers: PCXCQ, BTU, WLT, CNX, ACI, ANR, JRCC, YZC, ARLP, AHGP, NRP, PVR, PVG, PVA, OXF, CLD, WLB, RNO
- Utilities: ED, POM, PEG, FE, NST, UTL, ETR, EXC, D, NU, PCG, DUK
Mon, Apr. 28, 7:04 AM| Comment!
Sun, Apr. 27, 5:30 PM
Tue, Jan. 28, 7:08 AM| Comment!
Tue, Jan. 28, 12:05 AM
Mon, Jan. 27, 5:30 PM
Dec. 10, 2013, 6:50 PM
- Supreme Court justices today expressed sympathy for the EPA’s approach to air pollution that crosses state lines.
- The rule that would curb emissions from coal-fired power plants in 28 states - struck down by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals and being tested by power companies, states and miners - has never taken effect, but it would force companies to either shutter old plants or invest billions of dollars in pollution-control technology.
- The court’s four Democrat appointees, at times joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Kennedy, suggested the EPA had adhered to the language of the Clean Air Act; only Justice Scalia seemed convinced the rule could be unfair to some states.
- ETFs: KOL, XLU, IDU, VPU, RYU, PUI, UPW, FXU, SDP, PSCU, FUTY, UTLT.
- Coal names: PCXCQ, BTU, WLT, CNX, ACI, ANR, JRCC, YZC, ARLP, AHGP, NRP, PVR, PVG, PVA, OXF, CLD, WLB, RNO.
Oct. 28, 2013, 7:08 AM| Comment!
Jul. 26, 2013, 7:20 AM
Jun. 25, 2013, 2:59 PMCoal stocks (KOL +0.7%) enjoy a bit of a short-covering rally as Pres. Obama's climate change speech displays a similar stance toward the industry as has been heard in prior speeches, but gains don't make up for yesterday's big losses. WLT +7.1%, ACI +4%, PVR +2.8%, YZC +1.8%, PVG +2.4%, PVA +1.9%, RNO +1.6%, ANR +1.4%, AHGP +1.4%, ARLP +1.4%, BTU +1.2%. | 9 Comments
May. 2, 2013, 2:58 PM
Apr. 26, 2013, 7:15 AM
Feb. 12, 2013, 11:37 AMAmong the moves made by Tom Gayner in Markel's (MKL) portfolio in the last quarter (13F): A near-doubling in the Calamos Asset Management (CLMS) stake, and big bumps in a couple of resource plays - Alliance Holdings (AHGP) and Alpha Natural (ANR). Gayner also doubled the firm's holdings of Nike (NKE), and tripled (pre-S&P lawsuit) the stake in Moody's (MCO). | Comment!
AHGP vs. ETF Alternatives
Alliance Holdings GP, L.P. is a producer and marketer of coal to U.S. utilities and industrial users. The Company's ARLP Partnership operates ten underground mining complexes in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and West Virginia.
Other News & PR