Ashford Hospitality Trust, Inc.NYSE
Stellar Fundamentals Obfuscated By Confusing Events At Ashford Hospitality Trust
Dane Bowler • 28 Comments
Dane Bowler • 28 Comments
Mon, Nov. 14, 10:03 AM
- The bond market was closed on Friday, keeping rates in check and allowing REITs a respite from the week's bout of selling. The respite was short-lived though, with the selloff resuming this morning as the 10-year Treasury yield jumps 10 basis points to 2.255%.
- Realty Income (O -1.5%), Public Storage (PSA -1.3%), Welltower (HCN -0.6%), Equity Residential (AVB -1.6%), AvalonBay (AVB -1.6%), Simon Property (SPG -1.5%), Kimco (KIM -0.5%), Eastgroup (EGP -0.5%), American Campus (ACC -1.7%).
- Fading the action are some office REITs as players eye a big boost in government spending: Government Properties (GOV +1.6%), Boston Properties (BXP +1%), First Potomac (FPO +1.2%).
- Also fading the negativity despite the stronger dollar are the previously very roughed-up lodging REITs as perhaps they discount a stronger economy: Ashford Hospitality (AHT +3.7%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO +3.2%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO +2.2%), Pebblebrook Realty (PEB +3.7%), Summit Hotel (INN +1.6%), Hospitality Properties (HPT +1.2%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ +2.8%)
- Previously: "Bond vigilantes" term comes out of retirement (Nov. 14)
- ETFs: VNQ, IYR, DRN, RQI, URE, SCHH, ICF, RWR, SRS, RNP, RFI, JRS, KBWY, NRO, DRV, RIT, RIF
Thu, Nov. 10, 9:17 AM
- Gainers: TUBE +82%. SODA +18%. AHT +11%. AEG +10%. ZLTQ +10%. NAT +9%. TASR +9%. MTL +9%. SHAK +8%. KSS +8%. EBIO +8%. UBS +8%. PUK +7%. FCEL +8%. ARIA +6%. FCX +6%. RBS +6%. ENDP +6%. BCS +6%. CS +5%.
- Losers: SUNW -31%. ANTH -19%. BVX -14%. NVAX -11%. WUBA -11%. BBD -8%. SEDG -7%. RRR -6%. AZN -6%. VIV -6%. SBS -5%. NGG -5%.
Wed, Nov. 9, 1:48 PM
- The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield is higher this session by 21 basis points to 2.07% after having fallen as low as 1.70% at one point last night. TLT -4%, TBT +8%
- On the shorter end, Fed Funds futures - after last night having priced out any chance of rate hike in December - have returned to pricing in nearly 100% chance of a move.
- Facing more serious competition for yield, utilities (XLU -3.4%) and REITs (VNQ -1.7%) are having a rough session.
- Individual REIT names: Realty Income (O -5.1%), Spirit Realty (SRC -3.3%), Omega Healthcare (OHI -2%), Welltower (HCN -3.1%), Equity Residential (EQR -2.4%), AvalonBay (AVB -2.1%), General Growth (GGP -2.3%), Kimco (KIM -2.3%), DDR (DDR -2.3%).
- Notably fading the move even as the dollar turns sharply higher are the lodging REITs: Ashford (AHT +2.9%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO +3.1%), Pebblebrook Hotel (PEB +3.9%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT +4.2%), Hersha (HT +3.7%)
Thu, Nov. 3, 4:35 PM
Wed, Nov. 2, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACET, AGO, AHT, AIRM, AL, AMBC, AMBR, AMED, AMH, ANET, ATSG, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BNFT, BOJA, BRS, CARA, CARB, CBS, CDR, CECO, CERS, CINR, CLNE, CLVS, COGT, CPSI, CRC, CSC, CSOD, CTRL, CWST, DCO, DCT, ECOM, ECR, ED, EFC, EGN, EGOV, ELY, EOG, EPR, EVC, EXEL, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FNGN, FOSL, FPRX, GCAP, GERN, GLUU, GNMK, GNW, GPRO, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GUID, GXP, HCI, HDP, HIL, HTGC, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, INVN, IVR, JJSF, KAR, KHC, KMPR, KW, LADR, LCI, LGF, LGND, LNT, LOCO, LVS, LXU, MAIN, MDRX, MED, MEDP, MELI, MHK, MITT, MMI, MNST, MRC, MSI, MTD, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NE, NFG, NKTR, NNI, NPTN, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OTEX, OVAS, PBA, PCTY, PDLI, PEN, PETX, PFMT, PODD, QLYS, QRVO, RATE, RMAX, RP, RPXC, RTRX, RVNC, SBUX, SEM, SJI, SLCA, SPPI, SPXC, SSNI, STAA, STAG, STMP, SWIR, SWKS, SYMC, TAHO, THG, TRMR, TRQ, TRUE, TS, TSRO, TWLO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, UEPS, VRNS, VTL, WEB, WGL, WIFI, WTW, XLRN
Mon, Oct. 10, 2:16 PM
- The Wachovia 1, Wachovia 2, and Wachovia 6 loans (maturing in April 2017) and JPMorgan Chase Marriott Fremont Loan (maturing August 2019) had existing balances totaling $415M, and were refinanced into one new mortgage with an initial two-year term and four one-year extension options.
- The loan is interest only at Libor + 4.55%. It's secured by 18 hotels.
- The vast majority of the company's 2017 debt maturities have now been addressed, says AHT CEO Monty Bennett.
- Sold were the 151-room Courtyard Palm Desert and the 130-room Residence Inn Palm Desert for $36M. With these sales, the company has now closed on about $218M of non-core dispositions.
Tue, Oct. 4, 12:40 PM| Tue, Oct. 4, 12:40 PM
Thu, Sep. 15, 8:04 AM
Thu, Sep. 1, 4:24 PM
- The 124-room Hampton Inn & Suites sold for $27M or $218K per key. The purchase price represents a cap rate of 8.3% based on the trailing 12-month NOI. Net proceeds to AHT were about $5M after paying off the mortgage and transaction costs.
- For Ashford, the sale marks another step as it pares down its non-core, select-service hotel holdings.
Wed, Aug. 17, 1:00 PM
Fri, Aug. 5, 1:00 PM
Thu, Aug. 4, 6:20 PM
Wed, Aug. 3, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACAD, ACHN, ACXM, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALNY, AMBR, AMH, AMRS, ANET, ASYS, ATRC, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BMRN, BRS, CARA, CBPO, CERS, CINR, CPSI, CPST, CSOD, CTRL, CYTX, DCO, DCT, DMD, EBS, ECOM, ECPG, ECYT, ED, EFC, EGOV, EOG, ESL, EVDY, EVH, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FPRX, FRPT, FRT, FTD, GCAP, GDOT, GEOS, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GTY, GXP, HDP, HE, HTGC, ICON, IILG, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, IRWD, IVR, JMBA, JUNO, KHC, KMPR, KND, KTOS, KW, LADR, LBTYA, LGF, LNKD, LOCO, LOPE, MACK, MDRX, MELI, MHK, MHLD, MITT, MMI, MNST, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NFG, NNI, NOG, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OUT, OVAS, PACB, PCLN, PDLI, PETX, PFMT, PGRE, PKI, POST, PRSS, PSIX, PTCT, RATE, REGI, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, RTRX, RVNC, SEM, SEMG, SHOR, SMCI, SPXC, SSNI, SWIR, SYMC, SYRG, TASR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TSRO, TTWO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, VVUS, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, WTI, WTS, WTW, ZG, ZNGA
Thu, Jul. 21, 9:49 AM
- The lodging REIT sector is little-changed in early action, but Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT -2.4%) is an outlier after Credit Suisse's Ian Weissman downgrades to Underperform. The price target is cut to $5 from $6, and compares to the current $5.94.
- Weissman notes a premium valuation, risks from floating-rate debt exposure, and uncertainty surrounding the company's limited-service portfolio. As for whether a buyout could bail out longs, Weissman says a takeover could be difficult given the external management structure.
- Ashford spinoff, Ashford Hospitality Prime (which has the same external manager) is proving the point as it fends off a takeover effort by The Weisman Group.
Wed, Jul. 6, 7:23 PM
- Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT +1%) has priced an offering of 4.8M shares of preferred stock at $25/share.
- The shares are Series F Cumulative Preferred Stock with dividends accruing at 7.375% per annum. Settlement of the deal will come around July 13.
- The company will use proceeds to redeem its 9% series E Cumulative Preferred Stock, and any excess for general purposes.
- Morgan Stanley and UBS wre joint book runners.
Mon, Jun. 27, 3:20 PM
- There's plenty of green in the REIT space today, with the IYR off just 0.25% (vs. the S&P 500's 2% decline). Helping is the continuing plunge in interest rates, with the 10-year yield at 1.46% within seven basis points of an all-time low.
- Among the gainers are Realty Income (O +1.7%), National Retail Properties (NNN +1%), Senior Housing (SNH +2.2%), Omega Healthcare (OHI +0.9%), AvalonBay (AVB +1.1%), Kimco (KIM +1.3%), Tanger Factory (SKT +1.9%), and Public Storage (PSA +3.8%).
- Lodging REITs, however, are dependent on a steady stream of overseas tourist money, and the dollar's continued surge vs. everything not named the yen promises to crimp foreign visits. Ashford (AHT -6.6%), Sunstone (SHO -4.8%), LaSalle (LHO -4.1%), Pebblebrook (PEB -4.2%), Chesapeake (CHSP -3.3%), Host (HT -6.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -4.8%), Apple (APLE -2.9%), FelCor (FCH -5.4%).