Mon, Jul. 18, 9:52 AM
- The sector's had a nice run this year as, once again, higher interest rates have failed to materialize. A number of sell-siders are heading to the sidelines today on selected names today.
- JMP Securities downgrades American Campus Communities (ACC) to Market Perform from Outperform. Citigroup downgrades Aimco (AIV -0.7%) to Neutral from Buy. Mizuho cuts LTC Properties (LTC -1.4%) to Neutral from Buy. Capital One downgrades Stag Industrial (STAG -0.7%) to Equal Weight from Overweight. Deutsche cuts Urstadt Biddle Properties (UBA -0.8%) to Hold from Buy.
Thu, Jun. 16, 10:20 AM
- Inside May's CPI report was a monthly rent increase of 0.4%, the strongest monthly increase sine 2007. The year-over-year rise was 3.8%, the highest since 2008.
- That far outpaces the average hourly wage increase of 1.4%.
- Associated tickers: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, MORE, APTS
Thu, Jun. 9, 11:52 AM
- The team hosted meetings with 29 companies over two days across six subsectors. Some highlights:
- Lodging: Business travel remains soft and most are operating defensively by grouping up and reducing leverage. NYC is flooded with hotels available for sale which should pressure pricing.
- Apartments: The slowdown in NoCal is concentrated in Soma and San Jose, but expected to be temporary. The NYC slowdown is expected to endure through 2017. Merchant builders in Houston with deliveries in 2017 are in trouble - an opportunity for Camden Property Trust (NYSE:CPT) to pick up assets on the cheap.
- Malls: Concerns over department stores are overblown. Simon Property (NYSE:SPG) expects spreads to top mid-teens in the next five years. Omni-channel retail strategy is growing increasingly important as the WSJ reports 80% of online sales touch brick and mortar in some way.
- CS's Ian Weissman is ranked #1,134 out of #3,990 analysts on TipRanks.com.
- Tickers of interest: HPT, SHO, LHO, PEB, CHSP, INN, RLJ, EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, GGP, BRX, KIM, WRI, MAC
Wed, Jun. 8, 9:49 AM
- Equity Residential (EQR -1%), AvalonBay Communities (AVB -1.1%), and Essex Property Trust (ESS -0.5%) are all downgraded to Hold from Buy at Jefferies.
- With market caps of $13B-$23B, these three are the apartment sector giants by a wide margin. They tend to play in the high-priced markets on the coasts (Essex is all West Coast).
- Equity Residential made big news late last year when it sold a big chunk of its portfolio - and when Sam Zell sells, it's worth paying attention to. The company made more news last week when it cut guidance thanks to weakness in San Francisco and New York (though management played this down at a conference yesterday).
- Other sector names: Post Properties (PPS +0.1%), UDR (UDR -0.8%), Aimco (AIV -0.5%), Camden Property (CPT -1%), Mid-America (MAA -0.3%), Investors Real Estate (IRET +1.6%), Independence Realty (IRT +0.4%), Monogram Residential (MORE -0.5%), NexPoint (NXRT), Preferred Apartment (APTS +0.6%), Bluerock Residential (BRG -0.2%)
Thu, Jun. 2, 10:05 AM
Thu, Apr. 28, 4:43 PM
Thu, Apr. 28, 3:54 PM
- The national homeownership rate slipped to 63.5% at the end of Q1, according to the Census Bureau. That's thirty basis points lower than Q4 and twenty bps below the level of one year ago. At the peak in 2005, it topped 69%.
- The rental vacancy rate of 7% was flat from Q4 and down 10 bps from a year ago. In 2010, it was 10.6%. In the meantime, the median asking rent for rental units continues to move higher.
- Apartment REITs: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, MORE, NXRT, APTS, BRG
Thu, Apr. 28, 7:28 AM
Wed, Apr. 27, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACHC, AEM, AIV, AJG, ALDR, ALGN, AMCC, AMGN, AMZN, ARII, ATEN, ATHN, ATR, ATRC, AZPN, BCOV, BGS, BIDU, BMRN, BOOM, BRKS, BVN, CATM, CENX, CHDN, CHE, CHMT, CLD, CLW, COHR, COLM, COWN, CPHD, CPT, CUBE, DDR, DGII, DLR, ECOL, EHTH, ELLI, EMN, EPAY, EPR, ESS, EXLS, EXPE, EYES, FET, FII, FLEX, FLS, FPO, GB, GILD, GIMO, GNW, GRPN, HELE, HIG, HT, HTH, HURN, HWAY, INVA, IPHI, ISBC, JNPR, KBR, KRG, LEG, LNKD, LOGM, LPLA, MATW, MMSI, MOBL, MOH, MSA, MSCC, N, NATI, NFG, NPTN, NR, NSIT, NSR, NUS, OFIX, OMCL, OUTR, P, PCCC, PDFS, PFG, PODD, PXLW, QLIK, RGA, RGC, ROVI, RRC, RSG, SCSS, SGEN, SHOR, SKYW, SMCI, SNMX, SPN, SPNC, SRCL, STRZA, SWKS, SYNA, TEP, TLGT, TMST, TNDM, TRMB, TXTR, VCRA, VDSI, VGR, VR, VRSN, WDC, YRCW
Wed, Apr. 13, 9:55 AM| Wed, Apr. 13, 9:55 AM
Fri, Apr. 8, 2:31 PM
- The national vacancy rate has now risen for three straight quarters and hit 4.5% in Q1, according to Reis, up from 4.2% nine months earlier.
- Average rents increased 4.1% to $1,248 in Q vs. a 5% increase in Q1 a year ago, according to Axiometrics.
- Perhaps most of concern according to housing economists, the number of new occupied apartments climbed by just more than 20K units in Q1 - that's against a five-year average of roughly 40K per quarter. Whether that sharp drop turns into a long-term trend is another story.
- Supply? Developers are expected to build nearly 1M units in the U.S. over the next three years, up from about 100K in the previous three.
- In the country's hotter markets - think NYC, SF, Denver, Houston - landlords are more often offering concessions to bring in tenants. In Manhattan, rentals with concessions rose to 14% of the market vs. 5% a year earlier, and the median rental price fell 2.8% to $3,300.
- Landlords: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, MORE, NXRT, APTS, BRG
- Now read: NexPoint's Hidden Value (April 5)
Fri, Apr. 1, 3:59 PM
- National rents are higher by 0.4% over the past month and 2.7% Y/Y, according to the National Apartment List Rent Report. The median price for a 2BR apartment is $1.300, while 1BRs average $1,150.
- While San Francisco is in the lead for the nation's highest prices, rents have grown just 0.9% Y/Y. Seattle rents are higher by 5.4% Y/Y and it's now the 8th-most expensive city.
- Colorado Springs was tops for rent growth, up 11.4% Y/Y, followed by Orlando up 8.9%, Providence up 8.7%, and Tampa up 8.6%.
- Apartment REITs: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, APTS
- Now read: 2016 Rate Hikes Could Be A Blessing In Disguise For Equity REITs (April 1)
Wed, Feb. 17, 4:13 PM
- The market environment has changed, says Ryan Severino from Reis Inc., noting apartment construction is at its quickest pace since 1999. "Gone are the days when apartments faced little competition from new construction.”
- The vacancy rate is expected to head higher from the 4.4% recorded in Q4, thus keeping at least a little bit of pressure on rents.
- Even the fast pace of construction, however, isn't keeping pace with demand - the number of households last year grew by 1.5M, but the housing stock rose just 1.1M units, says Freddie Mac's David Brickman.
- Apartment owners: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, MORE, NXRT, BRG
Thu, Feb. 4, 4:52 PM
- Q4 adjusted FFO per share of $0.48 vs. $0.43 one year ago. Full-year adjusted FFO of $1.88 vs. $1.68 in 2014.
- Average rent per apartment of $1,597 up 4.7% Y/Y. Average daily occupancy of 95.5% down 20 basis points.
- Q4 renewal rent increases of 5.6%; New lease rent increases of 2.1%; Weighted average rent increases of 3.6%.
- Full-year 2016 AFFO per share is guided to $1.91-$2.01 vs. $1.88 in 2015.
- Previously: Apartment Investment misses by $0.01, misses on revenue (Feb. 4)
- AIV flat after hours
Thu, Feb. 4, 4:38 PM
Wed, Feb. 3, 5:35 PM
- ACET, ACXM, AHL, AIV, ASYS, ATHN, ATR, BMI, CATM, CTRL, DATA, DCT, DECK, DV, ECHO, ECOM, EGAN, EGOV, ELY, ES, ESL, ESS, FLDM, FLT, G, GNW, HBI, HIG, IPHI, KRG, LGF, LNKD, MOBL, MTD, NEWR, NFG, NSR, NTGR, OMCL, OUTR, PCTY, PDM, PKI, POST, PPS, PXLW, QRVO, RDEN, RNG, SKYW, SRCL, SWIR, SXT, THG, TTMI, UBNT, UEPS, WAIR, YRCW
Apartment Investment & Management Co. is a real estate investment trust that engages in the acquisition, ownership, management and redevelopment of apartment properties. Its primary financial objective is to provide predictable and attractive returns to the stockholders. The company operates... More
Industry: REIT - Residential
Country: United States
Other News & PR