Fri, Nov. 20, 9:26 AM
- Apartment rents are still strong, but the rate of growth is slowing, according to Zillow, reporting a nationwide increase of 4.5% Y/Y in October, down from 5.3% in September and 6.6% in July.
- Even in red-hot San Francisco, a rent gain of 15.2% last month stands against 19% in June and July.
- At issue is more supply, says Zillow, noting projects begun a couple of years back are starting to come online.
- With rental affordability down, the relative affordability of homeownership is on the rise, says Zillow, noting home values up 4.3% - the fastest pace in a year.
- Apartment REITs: EQR, AVB, ESS, PPS, UDR, AIV, CPT, MAA, IRET, IRT, MORE, NXRT, APTS, BRG
Mon, Nov. 9, 11:25 AM
- Equity Residential (EQR -1.7%), UDR (UDR -1.6%), and Aimco (AIV -2.9%) are all downgraded to Sell at Miller Tabak. The declines in the trio today are roughly in-line with the rest of the apartment REIT sector, with the 10-year Treasury yield up another four basis points to 2.36%.
- The downgraded trio has outperformed the broader REIT sector this year, with EQR +5.2%, UDR +8.7%, and AIV -3% versus the IYR's 5.4% decline.
Tue, Nov. 3, 4:28 PM
- Adjusted FFO of $0.48 up from $0.39 one year ago.
- Average same-store revenue per apartment of $1,750 up 4.4% Y/Y. Average daily occupancy of 95.6% down 10 basis points. Expenses up 1.9%. NOI up 5.4%.
- Renewal rent increase of 6%; new lease rent increases of 6.6%; weighted average rent increases of 6.3%.
- Full-year AFFO outlook is boosted by a penny at the midpoint to $1.87-$1.91 per share.
- Earnings call tomorrow at 1 ET
- Previously: Apartment Investment FFO in-line, beats on revenue (Nov. 3)
- AIV flat after hours
Tue, Nov. 3, 4:22 PM
Mon, Nov. 2, 5:35 PM
- ACHC, AFG, AIV, AMSG, ASH, ATVI, AWR, BIO, BKH, CBPO, CBS, CERN, CHEF, CHUY, CIM, CKP, CSU, CSV, CVC, DAC, DENN, DHT, DK, DKL, DVA, DVN, ECYT, ENPH, ENSG, EPIQ, ETSY, EVRI, FANG, FARO, FIVN, FLTX, FMI, FOGO, GHDX, GMED, GRPN, HCI, HL, HLF, HRZN, IAG, IPHS, IRWD, ITRI, IVR, JCOM, KEG, LLNW, MPO, MTZ, MXL, MYGN, NFX, NYMT, OAS, OCLR, OESX, OFIX, OKE, OKS, ORA, PAA, PAGP, PAYC, PBPB, PKD, QUAD, REGI, RIGL, RLOC, RP, RPAI, RXN, SLW, SSNI, SUPN, TDW, TMH, TSLA, TSRA, TX, UNTD, USNA, VNDA, WBMD, WR, WTR, X, XEC, XOXO, XXIA, Y, ZAGG, ZEN, ZNGA
Tue, Oct. 27, 5:06 PM
Mon, Oct. 26, 2:38 PM
- "The planned sales will likely raise questions regarding the apartment cycle as well as the 'call' for certain submarkets and asset types," says Cowen's James Sullivan, as Equity Residential (EQR +2.2%) announces the sale of $5.3B of apartment properties and looks to sell another $700M worth next year.
- Zell rung a bell for the top of the last real estate cycle with the early 2007 sale of his Equity Office Properties for $39B.
- Citi's Michael Bilerman acknowledges the sale should make good fodder for the bears, but he remains bullish on EQR. Wells Fargo's Jeffrey Donnelly is impressed with the timing, and applauds EQR for narrowing its focus on larger properties in core urban markets.
- Previously: Equity Residential sells chunk of holdings for $5.365B (Oct. 26)
- Other multi-family REITs: AvalonBay (AVB -0.5%), Essex Property (ESS -0.6%), Post Properties (PPS -0.1%), UDR (UDR -0.2%), Aimco (AIV +0.1%), Mid-America (MAA -0.3%), Investors Real Estate (IRET -0.1%), Independence Realty (IRT -2.6%).
Tue, Oct. 20, 8:58 AM
- It's been a tough year for a lot of REITs, but not for Mid-America Apartment Communities (NYSE:MAA), which is ahead about 13%. Looking for more, Raymond James upgrades to Outperform.
- Aimco (NYSE:AIV) has also held its own with about a 9% gain year-to-date. Raymond James upgrades to Strong Buy from Outperform. The stock's higher by 1% in thin premarket action.
Fri, Oct. 2, 12:02 PM
- The multi-family vacancy rate edged up to 4.3% in Q3, according to Reis, Inc, up from a post-recession low of 4.2% in Q2. With another 200K new units expected to hit the market this year, look for further increases in vacancies, say some economists. The historical average is about 5.5%.
- "I don’t think this is the death knell for the apartment market, but it is going to be more challenging over the next four to five years than it was over the last four to five,” says Reis' Ryan Severino.
- Rents, however, rose 4.2% year-over-year in Q3, the first time since 2007 above the 4% mark. It's not unusual to see higher rents accompany higher vacancies, as higher vacancies mean new units - usually with higher rents - coming to market. Severino doesn't see rents flattening out until 2017.
- Interested parties: Equity Residential (EQR -0.5%), AvalonBay (AVB -1.1%), Essex Property (ESS -0.7%), Post Properties (PPS -0.8%), UDR (UDR -0.4%), Aimco (AIV -1.1%), Camden Property (CPT -0.3%), Mid-America (MAA -0.4%), Independence Realty (IRT +1%), Preferred Apartments (APTS -0.6%), Investors Real Estate (IRET -1.8%).
Mon, Sep. 14, 4:28 PM
Wed, Sep. 9, 8:41 AM
- Miller Tabak is cashing in its chips on a number of Sell recommendations, upgrading Aimco (NYSE:AIV), Duke Realty (NYSE:DRE), Equity Residential (NYSE:EQR), and UDR (NYSE:UDR) to Hold.
- SunTrust boosts Highwoods Properties Trust (NYSE:HIW) to Buy.
- Previously: More REIT upgrades hit (Sept. 9)
- Previously: REITs headed for worst year since 2008 (Sept. 8)
Wed, Sep. 9, 7:47 AM
- The roughed-up sector has been a popular spot for upgrades over the past couple of weeks, and there's a new handful of names getting rating boosts today.
- Aimco (NYSE:AIV) gets two upgrades, with Barclays lifting to Overweight with $43 price target, and Janney to Buy with $41 price target.
- Stifel Nicolaus upgrades Boston Properties (NYSE:BXP), Prologis (NYSE:PLD), and SL Green (NYSE:SLG) to Buy.
- See also: Another batch of REIT upgrades (Sept. 9)
- Previously: REITs headed for worst year since 2008 (Sept. 8)
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, RQI, SCHH, ICF, SRS, RWR, RNP, JRS, KBWY, RFI, NRO, DRV, RIT, REK, RIF, FRI, FTY, PSR, DRA, FREL, WREI, IARAX
Thu, Aug. 13, 1:37 PM
- According to Zillow, renters spent 30.2% of income on rent in Q2, the highest percentage since as far back as the data go (1979). In comparison, the average between 1995 and 2000 was just over 24%.
- Los Angeles is tops for unaffordability at 49%, with San Francisco not far behind at 47%. In NYC, renters historically have paid about 25% of income for rent, but that has gone up to 41%. Known for being more affordable than other major cities, the luxury condo market has transformed Miami, and renters there now pay 44.5%.
- The solution, naturally says Zillow, is to buy. In most cities, buyers can expect to pay less than 30% of income towards mortgage payments. "Rents are crazy right now," says Zillow Chief Economist Dr. Svenja Gudell.
- For apartment REITs, one is left to wonder how much more room there is to boost rents. Names of interest: Equity Residential (NYSE:EQR), AvalonBay (NYSE:AVB), and Essex Property (NYSE:ESS) - a big player on the West Coast - are the most sizable companies. Also: UDR, Post Properties (NYSE:PPS), Aimco (NYSE:AIV), Camden Property (NYSE:CPT), Mid-America (NYSE:MAA), Trade Street Residential (NASDAQ:TSRE), Investors Real Estate (NYSE:IRET), Independence Realty (NYSEMKT:IRT), Bluerock Residential (NYSEMKT:BRG), NexPoint Residential (NYSE:NXRT).
Thu, Jul. 30, 4:19 PM
- Pro forma FFO of $0.56 vs. $0.52 one year ago. Adjusted FFO (deducting company share of capital replacement spending) of $0.46 vs. $0.44.
- Average revenue per apartment of $1,703 up 4.4% Y/Y. Average daily occupancy of 96.3% up 10 basis points. Expenses of $53.1M down ten basis points. NOI of $116.8M up 6.7%.
- Renewal rent increases of 5.1% in Q2. New lease rent increases of 5.7%.
- Full-year pro forma FFO per share guidance of $2.16-$2.26 is raised by $0.02 at the midpoint. AFFO per share of $1.83-$1.93 is lifted by a penny at the midpoint.
- Conference call tomorrow at 1 ET
- Previously: Apartment Investment and Management beats by $0.02, misses on revenue (July 30)
- AIV flat after hours
Thu, Jul. 30, 4:08 PM
Wed, Jul. 29, 5:35 PM
- AIV, AMCC, AMGN, ATEN, AUY, AVD, AXTI, BAS, BCOR, BCOV, BRCM, BVN, CALD, CATM, CLW, CMLS, COHR, COLM, CPSI, CPT, CRAY, CTRL, CXP, DCT, DECK, DGI, DLR, DTLK, EA, EEP, EGO, EIX, ELLI, ES, ESS, EVHC, EXPE, FE, FEIC, FEYE, FLR, FLS, FR, FRGI, GB, GMED, HBI, HK, HME, HTCH, IM, IMMR, INT, ISBC, KAMN, KLAC, LEG, LNKD, LRE, LSCC, MOH, MTD, MTSN, MWA, MXWL, NGVC, NR, NSR, OLN, OMCL, OUTR, PCCC, PDFS, PKI, PODD, PTCT, PXLW, QLGC, QTM, RGC, RMD, RNG, ROVI, SAM, SB, SGEN, SKYW, SPF, SPN, SYA, SYNA, SZYM, TCO, TEP, TMST, TNAV, TNDM, TPX, TSYS, TXTR, UHS, VCRA, VVUS, WAGE, WBMD, WU, WWWW, YRCW, ZLTQ
Other News & PR