Sep. 10, 2015, 5:28 PM
- With ZS Pharma (NASDAQ:ZSPH) surging 28% today as investors bought in with takeover on their minds, Actelion Pharmaceuticals (OTCPK:ALIOY +2.5%) has confirmed it's started preliminary talks with ZS.
- ZS Pharma shares were up this morning, surged again after 2:20 p.m. today and were halted for news after the close.
- Earlier, the company canceled its presentation and one-on-ones at a Citi investor conference, stoking memories of Kythera's similar cancellation prior to an acquisition several months ago.
- More than 6.7M shares traded hands today against a daily average of about 439K.
- Updated with ZS Pharma's 5:31 p.m. statement: "ZS Pharma today confirmed that it has participated in preliminary discussions with Actelion Ltd. regarding a potential strategic transaction. ZS Pharma regularly and routinely explores opportunities with various strategic partners and will continue to do so. These discussions may or may not lead to any transaction."
Jun. 7, 2015, 4:55 PM
- Shire (NASDAQ:SHPG) is weighing a £12.4B takeover of Swiss rival Actelion (OTCPK:ALIOF, OTCPK:ALIOY).
- Actelion, which makes treatments for rare diseases, has rebuffed the overture, which has been going on for a few weeks.
- Source: The Sunday Times
- Previously: Shire finalizes takeover of NPS Pharma (Feb. 25)
- Previously: Shire gobbles up privately-held pharma firm (Feb. 24)
Nov. 24, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:TTPH) is reportedly considering selling itself after being approached by interested suitors. Sources say the acquirer could be Acetelion (OTCPK:ALIOF) (OTC:ALIOY) or Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY).
- The attraction is Tetraphase's antibiotic eravacycline, currently in Phase 3 development. Both oral and IV formulations of the drug have demonstrated higher dose response rates than Johnson & Johnson's (NYSE:JNJ) Levaquin (levofloxacin) for the treatment of complicated urinary tract infections. In the Ignite-2 study, patients receiving 200 mg eravacycline IV-to-oral doses achieved a response rate of 70.8% while patients receiving 250 mg IV-to-oral doses achieved 64.3%, both significantly ahead of Levaquin's 52.2% response rate.
- A trial comparing eravacycline to Merck's (NYSE:MRK) Invanz (ertapenem) for the treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections is underway.
- TTPH is up 18% premarket on light volume.
- Previously: Tetraphase completes eravacycline Phase 3 enrollment
Aug. 13, 2014, 1:25 PM
- Shares of InterMune (ITMN +14.3%) spike on a 2x surge in volume in response to rumors that Roche (OTCQX:RHHBY +0.4%), Sanofi (SNY +0.7%), Glaxo (GSK -0.1%) and Actelion (OTCPK:ALIOF) (OTC:ACIOY) are preparing offers. Trading in ITMN shares was halted briefly at 1:00 pm EDT due to abnormal volatility.
Apr. 29, 2014, 8:00 AM
- Intermune (ITMN) is the latest pharmaceutical company to be linked with merger news, with the Betaville blog reporting that the firm is the subject of takeover interest from Actelion (ALIOF) and Sanofi (SNY).
- Actelion has apparently lined up $3-4B in financing from several banks, including JPMorgan.
- Intermune shares are +1.8% premarket; its market cap is $3.02B as of yesterday's close.
Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd is a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Allschwil/Basel, Switzerland, that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of innovative treatments to serve high unmet medical needs.
Other News & PR