Antofagasta plcGrey Market
Jul. 30, 2015, 4:54 PM
- Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) agrees to sell a 50% interest in its Zaldivar copper mine in Chile to Antofagasta (OTC:ANFGF) for ~$1B.
- ABX has been trying to sell the mine as it looks to pay down at least $3B of debt by the end of this year.
- The Zaldivar mine produced 222M lbs. of copper in 2014, while proven and probable copper reserves as of December 2014 were 5.56B lbs.
Mar. 30, 2015, 4:33 PM
- Teck Resources (NYSE:TCK) -7.3% AH after saying it is not in any type of deal discussions with Antofagasta (OTC:ANFGF), and there are no other corporate developments that justify any significant movement in its share price.
- TCK was responding to earlier reports that the two companies were exploring a potential merger that would create one of the world's largest copper miners.
Mar. 30, 2015, 3:49 PM
- Teck Resources (TCK +10.9%) and Antofagasta (OTC:ANFGF +4.1%) are exploring a merger that would create one of the world’s largest copper producers, Bloomberg reports.
- The mining companies reportedly have held early-stage talks, and any agreement is said to hinge on the approval of the families that control each company.
- With a market value of ~C$11.3B, TCK is Canada’s third-largest mining group and London-listed Antofagasta has a market value of ~£7.3B ($10.8B), so a purchase of either company would be one of the mining industry’s largest deals over the past five years.