American Public Education Is A Sinking Ship
Wed, Aug. 10, 12:47 PM
Tue, Aug. 9, 4:14 PM
Mon, Aug. 8, 5:35 PM
- AMBC, APEI, APPS, ARWR, ATHX, AXAS, BW, CALL, CDXS, CHMI, CIVI, CLNE, CRME, CVCO, CYBR, DHT, DIOD, DIS, DPLO, EPIQ, EVRI, FENG, FF, FLTX, FOGO, FOSL, FTEK, GALE, HALO, HCKT, HLIT, HWAY, INFI, INWK, IPAR, JAZZ, KEYW, LITE, LSCC, MCHX, MDVN, MYGN, MYL, NH, NVAX, OMED, OMER, PCTY, PEN, PSIX, PTLA, QNST, RELY, RTK, SCTY, SEDG, SGRY, SPPI, SPWR, TAHO, TCS, TTGT, VRNS, VSAT, WAGE, XON, XONE, YELP, YRD, YUME, ZGNX, ZIOP
Mon, Jun. 13, 3:53 PM
- The Department of Education published a set of proposed rules that define when students can take legal action against for-profit colleges and petition to have their federal loans forgiven.
- Some consumer advocacy groups don't think the measures go for enough, while pro-industry associations are railing against the extra regulation.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH.
- Proposed DOE rules (.pdf)
Mon, May 9, 4:07 PM
Sun, May 8, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, AMPH, APEI, ARNA, ASEI, BKD, CDXS, CUI, CVG, DCO, DMD, DNB, DPLO, DTSI, ELGX, FENG, FRGI, GLOB, GSBD, HALO, HK, HTZ, IFF, INGN, INVN, INWK, IRWD, IVR, JPEP, JUNO, KEG, KITE, LBTYA, LC, LOPE, LSCC, MBI, MODN, MXL, NLS, NOG, NVGS, NVRO, OAS, OPK, OPWR, PEN, PINC, PLOW, PRAA, PSIX, RARE, RAX, RBC, REN, RVNC, SCTY, SEDG, SEMI, SF, SNHY, SREV, SSNI, STMP, TCX, TMH, TTEC, TTGT, TUBE, VTL, VVC
Thu, Apr. 7, 3:01 AM
- More than 40% of the roughly 22M Americans who borrowed from the government's main student-loan program aren't making payments or are behind on more than $200B owed, according to a quarterly snapshot of the Education Department's $1.2T student-loan portfolio.
- The Obama administration maintains that the loan program, as a whole, will generate a profit over the long term, but the risk is rising that millions of students may never repay and revenue won't meet projections.
- Related stocks: CECO, STRA, COCO, ESI, ITT, BPI, LINC, DV, LOPE, APEI, APOL
Tue, Mar. 1, 12:48 PM
Tue, Mar. 1, 9:19 AM
Mon, Feb. 29, 5:45 PM
Mon, Feb. 29, 4:04 PM
- American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI): Q4 EPS of $0.75 beats by $0.21.
- Revenue of $85.91M (-5.9% Y/Y) beats by $1.81M.
Sun, Feb. 28, 5:35 PM
Tue, Feb. 9, 9:13 AM
- The Department of Education announces it created an enforcement unit to help crack down on student aid fraud and illegal recruiting tactics.
- "We've also seen too many programs that promise students a better life only to leave them with piles of debt without the prospects to pay them," stated Education Secretary John King.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH, APOL, EDMC.
Nov. 18, 2015, 12:26 PM
- A probe by the Department of Education and California Attorney General found Corinthian Colleges (NASDAQ:COCO) overstated school placement rates by a large percentage in order to help attract students.
- Corinthian Colleges closed operations last year amid intense scrutiny.
- It's another black eye for the for-profit education sector which has seen several scandals over the last year.
- YTD performance of some of the for-profit players: Apollo Education (NASDAQ:APOL) -79%, DeVVry (NYSE:DV) -52%, Capella (NASDAQ:CPLA) -40.7%, American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI) -38%, Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) -31%, Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA) -32%, K12 (NYSE:LRN) -22%, Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE) -17%.
Nov. 9, 2015, 4:16 PM
- American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI): Q3 EPS of $0.41 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $76.29M (-9.9% Y/Y) misses by $1.91M.
Nov. 8, 2015, 5:35 PM
- AEGR, AMBC, APEI, APPS, APU, ASEI, ATW, BDE, BEAT, CALL, CARA, CHMI, CKEC, CZR, DEPO, DTSI, EGY, ENV, FF, GALE, HALO, HMIN, IFF, IPAR, JAZZ, JIVE, JMBA, KEYW, LEAF, LF, LGF, LGND, MDR, MODN, NOR, NSPH, OMER, OPK, PDM, PFIE, PINC, PSIX, PTCT, PTLA, PVA, QNST, RARE, RAX, RBCN, REN, REXX, RLD, RMTI, SB, SBRA, SCLN, SUNE, TERP, TPC, TTEC, TTGT, TUBE, TXTR, UGI, VSAT, WWD, XON, XONE, ZGNX