American Public Education, Inc.NASDAQ
American Public Education Is A Sinking Ship
Sat, Nov. 19, 11:07 AM
- Donald Trump hasn't announced his choice to lead the Department of Education yet, but for-profit education stocks have been in a celebratory mood ever since the U.S. election.
- The new administration is expected to have a lighter touch with regulations and restrictions on the for-profit sector, an industry the President-elect himself is familiar with after settling a lawsuit filed against Trump University for $25M. There's been some speculation that the DOE will see a major transition over the next four years.
- Education stocks rising more than 20% since the election include Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA), Universal Technical Institute (NYSE:UTI), Capella Education (NASDAQ:CPLA), Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI), Career Education Corp. (NASDAQ:CECO), Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE), DeVry Education (NYSE:DV) and Chegg (NYSE:CHGG). Many of those names are now at or near their 52-week highs which brings up the question of how far the rally can extend?
- Related stocks: APEI, APOL, NORD, EDU, GPX, LRN.
Wed, Nov. 9, 4:14 PM
- The for-profit education sector had a stellar day after the GOP sweep eased some of the regulatory concerns hanging over the sector.
- The Obama administration has targeted several firms for their marketing practices.
- Gainers after the Trump victory include American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI) +21%, Career Education (NASDAQ:CECO) +18%, Bridgepoint Education (NYSE:BPI) +16%, Strayer Education (NASDAQ:STRA) +12%, Grand Canyon Education (NASDAQ:LOPE) +10%, K12 (NYSE:LRN) +9%, DeVry (NYSE:DV) +8%.
Tue, Nov. 8, 12:40 PM
Mon, Nov. 7, 5:13 PM
Sun, Nov. 6, 5:35 PM
- ACAD, ACXM, ADUS, AKAO, ALB, ALGN, AMC, ANDE, APEI, APLE, ARNA, BIOS, CHGG, CKEC, CRAY, CST, CTLT, CUTR, CZR, DEPO, DMD, DTLK, DTSI, EBS, EDIT, ENV, EPM, FANG, FARM, FICO, FN, FNV, FOGO, FRGI, FSM, FTD, HALO, HCKT, HTZ, IAG, IFF, JKHY, JPEP, KND, LSCC, LYV, MAR, MATX, MCHP, MODN, MXL, NCMI, NEWR, NH, NVGS, NVRO, NWSA, OAS, OMF, OPK, ORA, OUT, PACD, PCLN, PINC, PKI, PRAA, PTLA, RARE, REN, RMTI, RRR, RST, RTEC, RWT, SCSC, SGY, SITE, SNCR, SNHY, TCX, TDW, TREX, TSLX, ZGNX
Wed, Aug. 10, 12:47 PM
Tue, Aug. 9, 4:14 PM
Mon, Aug. 8, 5:35 PM
- AMBC, APEI, APPS, ARWR, ATHX, AXAS, BW, CALL, CDXS, CHMI, CIVI, CLNE, CRME, CVCO, CYBR, DHT, DIOD, DIS, DPLO, EPIQ, EVRI, FENG, FF, FLTX, FOGO, FOSL, FTEK, GALE, HALO, HCKT, HLIT, HWAY, INFI, INWK, IPAR, JAZZ, KEYW, LITE, LSCC, MCHX, MDVN, MYGN, MYL, NH, NVAX, OMED, OMER, PCTY, PEN, PSIX, PTLA, QNST, RELY, RTK, SCTY, SEDG, SGRY, SPPI, SPWR, TAHO, TCS, TTGT, VRNS, VSAT, WAGE, XON, XONE, YELP, YRD, YUME, ZGNX, ZIOP
Mon, Jun. 13, 3:53 PM
- The Department of Education published a set of proposed rules that define when students can take legal action against for-profit colleges and petition to have their federal loans forgiven.
- Some consumer advocacy groups don't think the measures go for enough, while pro-industry associations are railing against the extra regulation.
- On watch: CECO, DV, STRA, ESI, LOPE, APEI, LINC, BPI, LRN, EDU, NAUH.
- Proposed DOE rules (.pdf)
Mon, May 9, 4:07 PM
- American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI): Q1 EPS of $0.64 beats by $0.14.
- Revenue of $83.97M (-1.7% Y/Y) beats by $1.38M.
Sun, May 8, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, AMPH, APEI, ARNA, ASEI, BKD, CDXS, CUI, CVG, DCO, DMD, DNB, DPLO, DTSI, ELGX, FENG, FRGI, GLOB, GSBD, HALO, HK, HTZ, IFF, INGN, INVN, INWK, IRWD, IVR, JPEP, JUNO, KEG, KITE, LBTYA, LC, LOPE, LSCC, MBI, MODN, MXL, NLS, NOG, NVGS, NVRO, OAS, OPK, OPWR, PEN, PINC, PLOW, PRAA, PSIX, RARE, RAX, RBC, REN, RVNC, SCTY, SEDG, SEMI, SF, SNHY, SREV, SSNI, STMP, TCX, TMH, TTEC, TTGT, TUBE, VTL, VVC
Thu, Apr. 7, 3:01 AM
- More than 40% of the roughly 22M Americans who borrowed from the government's main student-loan program aren't making payments or are behind on more than $200B owed, according to a quarterly snapshot of the Education Department's $1.2T student-loan portfolio.
- The Obama administration maintains that the loan program, as a whole, will generate a profit over the long term, but the risk is rising that millions of students may never repay and revenue won't meet projections.
- Related stocks: CECO, STRA, COCO, ESI, ITT, BPI, LINC, DV, LOPE, APEI, APOL
Tue, Mar. 1, 12:48 PM
Tue, Mar. 1, 9:19 AM
Mon, Feb. 29, 5:45 PM
Mon, Feb. 29, 4:04 PM
- American Public Education (NASDAQ:APEI): Q4 EPS of $0.75 beats by $0.21.
- Revenue of $85.91M (-5.9% Y/Y) beats by $1.81M.