Wed, Nov. 4, 12:48 PM
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) acquires privately held Novira Therapeutics, a clinical stage biopharmaceutical firm developing therapies to cure chronic hepatitis B infection within one year of treatment, for an undisclosed sum. The transaction should close this quarter.
- Novira's lead product candidate is NVR 3-778, a orally available, small molecule, direct-acting antiviral that inhibits the HBV core or capsid protein. HBV core is an attractive drug target since it is plays a key role in viral replication and survival. NVR 3-778 disrupts the HBV life cycle by inducing the assembly of defective capsids. According to the company, its inhibitors, when used in combination with current standard-of-care drugs (nucleosides and interferon), should deliver greater and faster suppression of viral DNA and new virus production.
- Selected HBV-related tickers: (ARWR +2.1%)(GILD -1%)(CTRV -3.2%)(ABUS +2.6%)(DVAX -1.8%)(MRK +0.7%)(SNY -0.8%)(GSK +0.1%)(ISIS +2.1%)(ALNY +3.1%)(BMY -0.6%)
Thu, Mar. 5, 8:06 AM
- Arrowhead Research (NASDAQ:ARWR) acquires Novartis' (NYSE:NVS) RNA interference (RNAi) R&D portfolio and associated assets, including certain patents and patent applications, an exclusive license to other patents and patent applications owned or controlled by Novartis, the assignment of a third party license and three preclinical product candidates.
- Specific assets include multiple patent families covering RNAi-trigger design rules and modifications that fall outside of competitors' patents which provides Arrowhead freedom to operate for any target or indication, the assignment of Novartis' license from Alnylam (NASDAQ:ALNY) that gives Arrowhead access to Alnylam IP, excluding delivery, covering 30 gene targets and three product candidates with varying amounts of preclinical data.
- Under the terms of the agreement, Arrowhead will pay $10M in cash (includes $7M paid previously) and $25M in ARWR stock within 30 days. Novartis is eligible to receive milestones and single-digit royalties on net sales.
- Arrowhead will host a conference call this morning at 8:30 am to discuss the deal.
Other News & PR