Dec. 5, 2014, 8:52 AM
- Mercedes-Benz (OTCPK:DDAIF) will increase North America production in Q1 of 2015 by 21.8%, according to a forecast from WardsAuto.
- German peer BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) ranks 2nd of the larger automakers on the WardsAuto list with an estimated production boost of 15.6%.
- Volkswagen (OTCQX:VLKAY) is also listed above the industry average at 6.2%.
Dec. 2, 2014, 2:17 PM
Dec. 1, 2014, 9:05 AM
- BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) announces a new generation of plug-in hybrid vehicles, including hybrid versions of some its core models.
- The automaker plans to unveil a prototype of its BMW Series 3 plug-in hybrid today at an event in France.
- What to watch: BMW says its plug-in hybrid technology is adaptable enough to be integrated widely across its vehicle concepts. The German company also notes that a hydrogen fuel cell platform could be an option in the future.
Nov. 28, 2014, 12:19 PM
Nov. 28, 2014, 11:05 AM
- Automobile stocks are higher as a group after oil prices slide.
- General Motors (NYSE:GM) is up 2.3% and Toyota is 1.1% higher, while shares of Ford (NYSE:F) are just poking out a modest 0.1% gain.
- There's some concerns that Ford's big bet on aluminum loses some of its relevance if gas prices shoot lower.
- Daimler (OTCPK:DDAIF) and BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) are both beating broad market averages with +1% gains.
- EV automaker Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) is down 2.1% on the day.
Nov. 28, 2014, 7:35 AM
- The European Commission is expected to disclose in December more details on future emissions targets for cars sold in the European Union.
- Many experts see the EC setting a CO2 emissions target of 75 grams/km for automakers to achieve by 2030.
- A 95 grams/km target by 2021 has already been set.
- Related stocks: OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:PEUGY, GM, F, TM, OTC:RNSDF.
Nov. 24, 2014, 1:42 AM
- Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) is in talks with BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) over a possible partnership in battery technology, charging stations and light-weight components, Elon Musk told German weekly Der Spiegel.
- In an interview published on Sunday, Musk called BMW's carbon fiber reinforced car body parts "interesting" and "relatively cost efficient," and expects Tesla to have a battery production plant in Germany in five to six years.
Nov. 22, 2014, 1:51 PM
- SGL Group (OTCPK:SGLFF), who supplies carbon fibre reinforced parts for BMW's (OTCPK:BAMXY) electric cars, is in talks with several other carmakers to supply carbon fibre, CEO Juergen Koehler tells Wirtschaftswoche.
- "VW (OTCPK:VLKAF), in particular through Audi (OTCPK:AUDVF) and Lamborghini are also banking on high-volume use of carbon components. General Motors (NYSE:GM) has also hinted recently that they want to use more carbon. Porsche (OTCPK:POAHF) is also very active," he said, adding that new contracts would not be as big as the BMW venture.
- BMW's i-series, which cost it billions to develop, has had weak sales. BMW had sold less than 11,000 i3s by the end of September.
- SGL's main business is making graphite electrodes used to recycle scrap metal into steel. Its carbon fibre business accounted for just 2% of sales last year.
- SGL has already cut 1,400 of its 6,000 workforce.
Nov. 18, 2014, 6:19 PM
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is seeking the recall of "millions of vehicles" containing Takata (OTCPK:TKTDY) airbags, and the DoT agency will "use the full extent of its statutory powers" to force action if Takata and auto manufacturers fail to "quickly agree" to a recall.
- Cars had been recalled only in areas along the Gulf coast with high humidity, but the NHTSA says it is basing the decision on a recent incident that happened outside of those areas.
- NHTSA also orders Takata and all 10 auto companies that use Takata's air bag inflators - BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:BAMXF), Chrysler (NYSE:FCAU), Ford (NYSE:F), GM, Honda (NYSE:HMC), Mazda (OTCPK:MZDAY), Mitsubishi (OTCPK:MMTOF), Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY, OTCPK:NSANF), Subaru (OTCPK:FUJHY), and Toyota (NYSE:TM) - to provide detailed reports about ongoing testing of the products outside of the high-humidity regions that already had recalls in place.
Nov. 18, 2014, 7:35 AM| Nov. 18, 2014, 7:35 AM | Comment!
Nov. 12, 2014, 10:06 AM
- The landmark emissions deal struck between the U.S. and China has implications for the automobile industry even if it is largely symbolic, according to analysts.
- There's some speculation that bickering between the nations over spying and other free trade issues won't reel in China-Western auto joint ventures and impact government EV subsidies as the nation stays focused on pollution control.
- Automaker stocks: GM, F, TM, FCAU, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTC:KIMTF, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTCPK:PEUGF, TTM, TSLA.
Nov. 11, 2014, 2:28 PM
- Domestic automobile sales in India fell 2.6% in October, according to the Society of Indian Automotive Manufacturers.
- A pulling back of government subsidies for diesel models impacted sellers in the category.
- Sales of trucks and buses also fell during the month.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:SZKMF, HMC, TTM, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:NSANY.
Nov. 11, 2014, 9:30 AM
Nov. 3, 2014, 12:40 PM
Oct. 25, 2014, 9:27 PM
- The Transportation Department will conduct an internal review of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in response to a series of recent safety failures, including this week's 7.8M vehicle recall, Reuters reports.
- The House of Representatives' Energy and Commerce Committee is to hold an initial briefing with U.S. safety regulators next week to learn the details of the regional recalls affecting 10 automakers - Toyota (NYSE:TM), Honda (NYSE:HMC), Mazda (OTCPK:MZDAY), BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY), Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY), Mitsubishi (OTC:MMTOY), Subaru (OTCPK:FUJHY), Chrysler (NYSE:FCAU), Ford (NYSE:F) and General Motors (NYSE:GM).
- It was reported on Friday that the Obama administration will likely nominate a permanent chief of the NHTSA within two weeks.
Oct. 24, 2014, 8:38 AM
- There's some speculation in the automobile sector that BMW (OTCPK:BAMXY) purchased the stake in Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) unloaded by Daimler (OTCPK:DDAIF).
- The two automakers have long been linked as potential partners due to their complimentary strengths.
- Previous: Daimler unloads Tesla stake, Toyota sells Tesla shares.
- TSLA trades flat in premarket action.
BAMXY vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR