Bill Barrett Corp.: Aspirations And Challenges In The DJ Basin
Richard Zeits • 20 Comments
Richard Zeits • 20 Comments
Yesterday, 5:40 PM
Mon, Aug. 29, 2:29 PM
- Oil and natural gas explorers escape a vote in Colorado that could have severely limited drilling in the state, as two measures that would have allowed local communities to ban hydraulic fracturing fail to garner enough support for the November ballot.
- A proposal that would have restricted drilling near homes fell ~21K valid signatures short of the total needed to qualify for a ballot vote, and a measure allowing local governments to ban fracking also failed to attract enough signatures, according to the Colorado Secretary of State's office.
- Colorado's top producers include Anadarko Petroleum (APC +1.3%), Encana (ECA +0.4%), Noble Energy (NBL +1.4%), PDC Energy (PDCE +1.6%), Whiting Petroleum (WLL +1.9%), Bill Barrett (BBG +5.3%), Carrizo Oil and Gas (CRZO +2.2%) and Synergy Resources (SYRG +5.2%).
Fri, Aug. 26, 10:21 AM
- The initiative pushed by anti-fracking activists in Colorado that could virtually eliminate hydraulic fracturing in the state is "extremely unlikely" to make it to the November ballot needed to become law, Wells Fargo analysts say.
- The proposal would move the distance for a hydraulic fracturing operation from 500 ft. or more to a minimum of 2,500 ft. or more from an "area of special concern" such as occupied housing, drinking water sources, sports fields and parks.
- The stock market already is assuming that the proposal will fail, the firm says, based on recent gains in share prices of companies that operate in the Niobrara/DJ Basin, including PDC Energy (PDCE +0.2%), Anadarko Petroleum (APC +1.3%), Bill Barrett (BBG +3.5%) and Whiting Petroleum (WLL +4.4%).
Mon, Aug. 15, 2:02 PM
Mon, Aug. 15, 10:26 AM
- Bill Barrett (BBG +4.4%) says it will resume its drilling program in the Denver-Julesburg basin, with up to 12 new wells set to spud by the end of the year.
- BBG says lower well costs and operating expenses, combined with a narrowing DJ Basin oil price differential, will generate a competitive rate-of-return in the current commodity price environment.
- BBG projects that its 2016 capex will now be at the high end of its previously disclosed guidance range of $75M-$100M to account for the additional drilling activity.
Mon, Aug. 8, 9:53 PM
- Environmental groups in Colorado say they have collected enough signatures to add proposed anti-fracking initiatives to the November election ballot, pending final validation by the Secretary of State's office.
- One of the initiatives would strengthen the state's setback rules, requiring new oil and gas development facilities to be located at least 2,500 ft. from occupied structures or areas such as parks, while the second would transfer regulatory control of new oil and gas development to local governments.
- Anadarko Petroleum (NYSE:APC), Noble Energy (NYSE:NBL) and Whiting Petroleum (NYSE:WLL) hold the greatest net acreage in Colorado's DJ Basin; other companies with DJ exposure include Synergy Resources (NYSEMKT:SYRG), PDC Energy (NASDAQ:PDCE), Bonanza Creek Energy (NYSE:BCEI), Bill Barrett (NYSE:BBG), and Carrizo Oil and Gas (NASDAQ:CRZO).
Fri, Aug. 5, 2:09 PM
Thu, Aug. 4, 4:47 PM
Wed, Aug. 3, 5:35 PM
- AAOI, ABTL, ACAD, ACHN, ACXM, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALNY, AMBR, AMH, AMRS, ANET, ASYS, ATRC, ATVI, BBG, BLDR, BMRN, BRS, CARA, CBPO, CERS, CINR, CPSI, CPST, CSOD, CTRL, CYTX, DCO, DCT, DMD, EBS, ECOM, ECPG, ECYT, ED, EFC, EGOV, EOG, ESL, EVDY, EVH, FCE.A, FEYE, FFG, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FPRX, FRPT, FRT, FTD, GCAP, GDOT, GEOS, GSAT, GSBD, GST, GTY, GXP, HDP, HE, HTGC, ICON, IILG, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, INGN, IRWD, IVR, JMBA, JUNO, KHC, KMPR, KND, KTOS, KW, LADR, LBTYA, LGF, LNKD, LOCO, LOPE, MACK, MDRX, MELI, MHK, MHLD, MITT, MMI, MNST, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTX, MTZ, NAVG, NDLS, NFG, NNI, NOG, NUS, OEC, OLED, OREX, OUT, OVAS, PACB, PCLN, PDLI, PETX, PFMT, PGRE, PKI, POST, PRSS, PSIX, PTCT, RATE, REGI, RMAX, RPTP, RRMS, RTRX, RVNC, SEM, SEMG, SHOR, SMCI, SPXC, SSNI, SWIR, SYMC, SYRG, TASR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TSRO, TTWO, TWOU, TXMD, UBNT, UEIC, VVUS, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, WTI, WTS, WTW, ZG, ZNGA
Wed, Jul. 20, 10:57 AM
- Bill Barrett (BBG +3.1%) is higher after saying it expects to realize a $25M commodity derivative gain in Q2 due to positive derivative positions.
- In an update on commodity derivatives, BBG says it has swaps in place for production of 7,300 bbl/day of oil tied to pricing at $81.65/bbl and 5,000 MMBtu of natural gas/day tied to NWPL regional pricing at $4.10/MMBtu.
- BBG says it has ~7,750 bbl/day of oil hedged at an average WTI price of $72.57/bbl for the remainder of 2016.
Fri, Jun. 10, 7:05 PM
- Western Colorado has 40x more natural gas than previously thought, potentially making it the second-largest formation in the U.S., according to a new estimate from the U.S. Geological Survey.
- The Mancos Shale formation in Colorado’s Piceance Basin holds ~66.3T cf of gas, up from just 1.6T estimated in 2003, the USGS says, and the revision puts the basin second only to the Marcellus Shale in terms of the largest total gas reserves in the U.S.
- Current prices of ~$2/MMBtu are considered too low for companies to begin drilling to any large extent; companies likely would begin drilling if prices reached $3.50/MMBtu, says David Ludlam of the West Slope Colorado Oil and Gas Association.
- Among Colorado's top current oil and gas producers: APC, NBL, ECA, XOM, CVX, OXY, WLL, BBG, SYRG, PDCE, BCEI, CRZO
Fri, Jun. 3, 3:34 PM
- Bill Barrett (BBG +3.3%) is higher following late yesterday's news that it had reacquired $84.7M of its 7.625% senior notes due 2019 from an individual investor who will receive 10M shares of the company's common stock in exchange.
- BBG reported that it had $803M in long-term debt as of March 31 and estimated that the privately negotiated transaction will trim its overall debt load by ~12% while producing ~$6.5M in annual savings from reduced interest payments.
- BBG says the debt reduction combined with the previously announced strategic sale of non-core assets in the Uinta Basin will further strengthen its balance sheet.
Thu, May 26, 5:39 PM
Thu, May 5, 4:49 PM
Wed, May 4, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ABTL, ACAD, ACET, AHS, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALEX, AMBR, AMH, ANET, APLE, ASYS, ATHX, ATVI, ATW, BBG, BCEI, BIO, BIOS, BLDR, BOJA, CAA, CARA, CERN, CINR, CLNE, CLVS, CMLS, CPA, CTRL, CYBR, CZR, DATA, DCT, DEPO, DIOD, DK, DKL, DV, DWA, EBS, ECOM, ED, EFC, EGAN, EGL, EGN, EGY, ELON, ENDP, ENV, EOG, ERII, ESL, EVC, EVDY, EVHC, FCE.A, FEYE, FISV, FLR, FPRX, FTD, GBDC, GEOS, GERN, GPRO, GSAT, GST, GUID, GXP, HLF, HTGC, ICPT, IMMR, IMPV, INAP, JCOM, LADR, LOCO, MAIN, MCHX, MDR, MDRX, MDVN, MELI, MHK, MITT, MNTX, MRIN, MSI, MTD, MTZ, NBIX, NGVC, NSTG, NWSA, OLED, OMED, OUT, OVAS, PACD, PCTY, PEGA, PETX, PKI, PMT, POST, PRSS, PTCT, PTLA, QLGC, RPTP, RRMS, RWT, SAAS, SEM, SEMG, SNCR, SPPI, SPWR, SPXC, SQ, SSNC, SWIR, TCRD, TEAM, TRMR, TRUE, TRQ, TRUP, TSRO, TWOU, UBNT, UEPS, UNXL, WAGE, WAIR, WEB, WIFI, WING, XNPT, Y, YELP
Mon, May 2, 6:39 PM
- The Colorado Supreme Court ruled today that municipalities cannot bar fracking and the storage of fracking waste, striking down measures passed by the cities of Fort Collins and Longmont.
- A local ban "could ultimately lead to a patchwork of regulation that would inhibit the efficient development of oil and gas resources" if left in place, according to one of two rulings today.
- The decisions uphold lower court rulings and come amid a long-running battle over fracking across northeastern Colorado, which sits atop the Denver-Julesburg Basin.
- Among Colorado's top oil and gas operators: APC, NBL, ECA, WLL, BBG, BCEI, CRZO, PDCE, SYRG