What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Dec. 2, 2014, 2:42 AM
- This year's Cyber Monday sales grew by much less than expected, according to data from IBM, as online retailers began their web promotions and sales during and even before the Thanksgiving weekend.
- Cyber Monday sales, which were projected to grow between 13%-15%, only reported an 8% rise.
- The results underline the waning importance of Cyber Monday and Black Friday, which until a few years ago kicked off the holiday shopping season.
- Related stocks: EBAY, AMZN, DKS, BBY, TGT, WMT, SPLS, M, GPS
- ETFs: XLP, XLY, VDC, XRT, VCR, RTH, PBJ, RETL, PEJ, IYK, FXG, IYC, SCC, FXD, RHS, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, PSL, PSCC, SZK, FDIS, FSTA, PSCD, PEZ
Dec. 1, 2014, 1:40 PM| Dec. 1, 2014, 1:40 PM | 10 Comments
Dec. 1, 2014, 9:35 AM
Dec. 1, 2014, 7:50 AM
- Comscore estimates e-commerce spending rose 32% on Thanksgiving Day to $1.01B and 26% on Black Friday to $1.51B.
- Most retail analysts are sticking with their forecast for 4.0%-4.5% growth for holiday sales this year, with early shopping and e-commerce making up for a dip in store traffic on Black Friday.
- Apparel sellers in particular came out with a stronger online push this year.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:AMZZ, EBAY, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS, FDX, UPS, DKS, BBY, LULU, KATE, VRA, SPLS.
Nov. 28, 2014, 11:39 AM
- Best Buy's (BBY +1.8%) website is back up and running.
- In a statement to the media, Best Buy said a spike in mobile traffic caused its ill-timed outage earlier today.
- The company has been touting its price-match guarantee this holiday season which is believed to be creating large interest with shoppers.
Nov. 28, 2014, 10:16 AM
- Best Buy's (BBY +1.8%) website is down at the moment.
- A message on the retailer's home page to Black Friday consumers: "Check back soon."
- Shares of BBY have trimmed off some of their early gains, but could feel a sharper sting if the outage minutes stretch into hours.
Nov. 24, 2014, 12:01 PM
- Some data mining by WalletHub gives a sneak peek at which retailers are above and below the sector average of 39.5% on Black Friday discounting off of typical pricing.
- Retailers with above-average discount activity: J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) 65.44%, Macy's (NYSE:M) 63.52%, Rite Aid (NYSE:RAD) 53.34%, Sears (NASDAQ:SHLD) 50.19%.
- Retailers with below-average discount activity: Costco (NASDAQ:COST) 21.14%, Big Lots (NYSE:BIG) 25.24%, Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) 26.10%, Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) 32.08%.
Nov. 21, 2014, 9:06 AM
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) declares $0.19/share quarterly dividend, in line with previous.
- Forward yield 2.00%
- Payable Dec. 31; for shareholders of record Dec. 11; ex-div Dec. 9.
Nov. 20, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Shares of Best Buy (BBY +7.4%) rally to their highest level since January after the company's earnings report and guidance satisfies.
- The earnings call was a little bit uneven with management making a solid case that the Best Buy turnaround was picking up steam, but also warning on product shipments and pricing on some electronics.
- Execs cleared up that specialized customer service reps showing up in its stores are Best Buy employees and not 3rd-party personnel.
- The company doesn't face the same number of impediments in selling mobile installment plans that it did a year ago which could help boost the Q4 comp.
- Best Buy earnings call webcast
Nov. 20, 2014, 7:17 AM
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) reports comparable-store sales rose 2.2% in FQ3, led by a brisk 3.2% rise in the U.S.
- The comp for the online business was +21.6%, compared to +15.1% for the same period a year ago.
- U.S. revenue mix: Consumer electronics 29%, computers/mobile 49%, entertainment 7%, appliances 8%, services 6%, other 1%.
- U.S. gross margin rate -50 bps to 23.0%, due in part to pressure in the mobile business and tablet promotions.
- International gross margin rate -50 bps to 20.7%.
- BBY +2.7% premarket
Nov. 20, 2014, 7:07 AM
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY): Q3 EPS of $0.32 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $9.38B (+0.5% Y/Y) beats by $270M.
Nov. 19, 2014, 5:30 PM
Nov. 18, 2014, 10:18 AM
- Piper Jaffray comes up with an eclectic mix as part of its five best retail stock picks for the holiday season.
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY): A strong electronics lineup this year bodes well for Best Buy. Ultra HD 4K TVs, iPhone 6s, and GoPro products top many wish lists.
- Coty (NYSE:COTY): A focus on color cosmetics sets up Coty for market share gains this holiday season.
- Del Frisco's Restaurant Group (NASDAQ:DFRG): A bounce in consumer and business expense spending should help this high-end dining name, says Piper.
- Michael Kors (NYSE:KORS): The MK brand is as hot as ever. Consumers in a survey by Piper ranked it as the top fashion brand.
- Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN): The department store operator's best in-class e-commerce operation stands out.
Nov. 11, 2014, 9:04 AM
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) announces it will open at 5:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day which will give it an hour jump on some of its rivals. Most stores will stay open until 1:00 a.m.
- The retailer is making a marketing push on 4K Ultra HD Smart TVs which is a margin-boosting category when accessories and service plans are factored in.
- Best Buy has been a favorite pick of some retail analysts to surprise this holiday season with a sales gain over the industry average (4.0%-4.5%).
Oct. 31, 2014, 1:21 PM
- The odds aren't good for a national roll-out of smartphone payments solution CurrentC, according to USA Today's Jeff Graham.
- The retail consortium admitted to a hacking incident earlier this week and has lost momentum with Apple Pay dominating headlines.
- Inside the network, Meijer broke ranks with fellow MCX members by moving to accept Apple Pay with its hardware.
- CurrentC was created to help the retail industry bypass credit card fees.
- Partial list of MCX members: LUV, GPS, DNKN, KR, TGT, WMT, BBBY, KSS, SHLD, WEN, BBY.
Oct. 29, 2014, 2:42 PM
- Best Buy (BBY -1%) is well-positioned on the operational side for the holiday season, according to Citi.
- Improved distribution channels should help Best Buy navigate any weather or logistical issues that arise deep into the holiday period.
- The investment firm also notes that all 1.4K Best Buy U.S. locations are set up with an option for customers to pick up online orders from stores.
Other News & PR