UBS ETRACS Wells Fargo Business Development Company ETNNYSEARCA
Mon, Nov. 21, 4:35 AM
- Global dividends fell at the fastest pace since mid-2015 in Q3 as American dividend growth slowed to a post-crisis low.
- According to the Henderson global dividend index, U.S. payouts fell to $100.4B, down 7% on a headline basis.
- Payments were constrained by subdued profit growth, which can partly be explained by a strong dollar, alongside higher levels of debt, causing management to take a cautious approach when deploying cash.
- ETFs: DVY, VIG, VYM, SDY, BDCL, SCHD, HDV, NOBL, BDCS, DIV, SPHD, SDOG, ADX, KBWD, DLN, DES, PEY, HTD, BIZD, DON, TDIV, DGRW, DHS, FDL, DTD, FVD, SMHD, DVYL, FGB, PFM, HDLV, SDYL, DGRO, JTD, DOD, HIE, QDF, RDIV, DGRS, LCEAX, SPYD, RDVY, DIVC, SMDV, QDYN, QDEF, REGL, CDC, QINC, LEAD, LVHD, LBDC, ELKU, FDRR, FDVV
Feb. 24, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Comparing metrics for the two of the more popular dividend strategies - the SPDR S&P Dividend ETF (SDY +0.4%) and the Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF (VIG +0.7%) - against the two largest large-cap value ETFs - the Russell 1000 Value ETF (IWD +0.9%) and Vanguard's Value ETF (VTV +0.7%) - Larry Swedroe finds valuations quite stretched for the dividend players.
- The SDY sports a P/E ratio of 17.2x, price/book ratio of 2.5x, and price/cash flow ratio of 10.5x, with the VIG showing similar. The value ETFs have P/E below 14x, price/books below 2x, and price/cash flow below 6x.
- The popularity of dividends has led to a pleasing rise in the values of the stocks, but has thus reduced expected future returns, reminds Swedroe. And for taxable accounts, it's even worse as dividends are less tax-efficient than capital gains.
- Dividend ETFs: DVY, VIG, AMLP, SDY, VYM, AMJ, BDCL, SCHD, HDV, MLPL, YMLP, KBWD, BDCS, DES, PEY, MLPI, SPHD, DIV, DLN, DHS, MLPA, ENY, DTD, DGRW, DON, MLPN, FDL, NOBL, FVD, PFM, EMLP, MLPS, BIZD, MLPG, MLPY, MLPX, MLPJ, SDYL, AMU, YMLI, DVYL, ATMP, DGRS, ZMLP, RDIV, RDVY, MLPW, IMLP, QDYN, ENFR, QDF, QDEF, MLPC