Fri, Nov. 18, 7:44 AM
- BMW (OTCPK:BMWYY) and Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) have ended their self-driving car partnership over a difference of opinion on research and development pace.
- The two companies had made some progress with their self-driving initiative, including developing automatic overtaking capabilities.
- Baidu says it will seek out new autonomous driving partners.
Thu, Nov. 17, 9:34 AM
- Initiated earlier this week, Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) is said to have completed 200 rides as of today in Wuzhen, China. The base vehicles, manufactured by BYD, Chery and BAIC, have been outfitted with a combination of LIDAR, wave radar and supercomputer technology.
- Though purely an early test among a small sample size, the company is targeting a 2018 production run external a trial capacity and mass commercialization of self-driving technology by 2021.
Mon, Nov. 7, 4:06 AM
- Known as the "prince" of Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) and widely seen as a potential successor to CEO Robin Li, Li Mingyuan has resigned after an internal company probe found "conflicts of interest."
- The high-profile departure is the latest in a series of setbacks for Baidu. The firm has seen advertising revenues shrink this year in the wake of new regulations on paid advertisements and real-name identification.
Mon, Oct. 31, 12:38 PM
- Last week: Baidu 1.6% lower after hours; revenue down nominally, greater decline projected for Q4
- Despite post-earnings downgrades issued at Credit Suisse and Macquarie, Jason Helfstein at Oppenheimer & Co. reissues an Outperform rating and raises Baidu's (BIDU -1.7%) target from $188 to $200 (current price $177.18).
- Considers issues involving regulation near-term and forecasts search to recover despite a suggested bottom in Q4.
Fri, Oct. 28, 7:37 AM
- Cutting Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) to Neutral from Buy, Credit Suisse says the company is losing traction on both the advertiser and user sides. Beside disappointing Q4 guidance - implying a double-digit decline in core search - this report's Q/Q decline in mobile search monthly active users shows an early loss of user traction, says CS.
- via Notable Calls
- The bulls remain in control for now, with the stock reversing an after hours decline last night, now higher by 2.8% premarket.
- Previously: Baidu 1.6% lower after hours; revenue down nominally, greater decline projected for Q4 (Oct. 27)
Thu, Oct. 27, 6:01 PM
- Results – revenue $2.73B (-0.7% Y/Y, $20M above estimates), EPS $1.49 ($0.39 above estimates)
- Operational highlights – mobile search MAUs 660M (+3% Y/Y), mobile maps MAUs 348M (+7% Y/Y), GMV for Transaction Services $2.9B (+49% Y/Y), activated Baidu Wallet accounts 90M, a 99% Y/Y increase
- Q4 projections – Revenue of $2.675B-$2.756B (4.6%-1.7% Y/Y decline).
- Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) chairman and CEO Robin Li: "We saw further improvements in customer quality in the third quarter as we continued to implement stricter standards for online marketers. During the quarter the growing popularity of our news feed product helped drive user stickiness in search and across the Baidu content ecosystem. We look forward to further innovating through initiatives such as our digital assistant Duer and autonomous cars, and to bringing new AI-based applications to market."
- Conference call
- Press release
Thu, Oct. 27, 4:33 PM
Wed, Oct. 26, 5:35 PM
- ACTG, AFL, AIV, AJG, ALDR, ALEX, ALJ, AMCC, AMGN, AMZN, ARAY, ARII, ASGN, ATEN, ATR, ATRC, AUY, AZPN, BGS, BIDU, BMRN, BOFI, BOOM, BSAC, BVN, CA, CATM, CBI, CBL, CEMP, CENX, CHDN, CLD, CLMS, CNMD, COLM, COWN, CPT, CRUS, CUBE, CXP, CY, DECK, DGII, DLR, ECOL, EGO, EHTH, ELLI, EMN, ESS, EXPE, FET, FII, FIX, FLEX, FLS, FORM, FPO, FR, FTNT, FTV, GIMO, GOOG, HBI, HIG, HLS, HTH, IART, IM, INT, INVA, IPHS, ISBC, ITGR, KAMN, KIM, KONA, KRG, LEG, LNKD, LOGM, MAA, MAC, MCK, MLNX, MOBL, MOH, MSA, MSTR, NANO, NATI, NGD, NR, NSIT, NSR, OFC, OII, OIS, OMCL, OSIS, PDFS, PEB, PFG, PKD, POWI, PSMT, PXLW, RGC, RSG, SGEN, SHOR, SIMO, SKYW, SMCI, SNMX, SPNC, SPSC, SRCL, SSD, SSNC, STRZA, SYK, SYNA, TDOC, TEAM, TFSL, TGB, TLGT, TMST, VCRA, VDSI, VR, VRSN, WRE, WRI, WSFS, YRCW
Fri, Sep. 16, 3:37 AM
- Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) has received a permit to test its self-driving car in California, becoming the 15th company to receive approval from the Golden State.
- After unveiling its autonomous vehicle in China last December, Baidu has been steadily increasing its investments in the sector and has already tested its prototype on Chinese roads and highways.
Tue, Sep. 13, 8:58 AM
- Saying it would power Baidu's (NASDAQ:BIDU) mapping and autonomous vehicle technology, Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) has revealed a smaller and more efficient artificial intelligence computer for self-driving cars, called Drive PX 2.
- Earlier this month, the two companies announced a partnership to develop a full cloud-to-vehicle autonomous car architecture using their expertise in AI.
Thu, Sep. 1, 7:46 AM
- Speaking at the annual Baidu World conference, Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) CEO Jen-Hsun Huang announced he would work with Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) to build a self-driving car platform whose algorithm-based operating system would include cloud-based, high-definition maps and the ability to perceive and react to different road environments.
- "No company in the world today has demonstrated the ability to integrate this system and deploy it at scale for millions of cars to drive by themselves," he said. "We are going to bring together our technical capabilities and expertise in AI" to make this happen.
Thu, Aug. 25, 8:28 AM
- Singapore became the first country in the world to offer a self-driving taxi service with the targeted launch of nuTonomy. A full roll-out of an autonomous taxi service across the nation is expected as early as 2018.
- While self-driving cars from Google (GOOG, GOOGL), Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU), and others have been out testing on the roads for the last few years, nuTonomy's service is the first commercial application of the nascent technology open to public use. Uber (Private:UBER) plans to test self-driving cars in Pittsburgh next month.
- NuTonomy will use human drivers as backups in the initial roll-out of the Renault (OTC:RNSDF, OTCPK:RNLSY) Zoe and Mitusubishi (OTCPK:MMTOF) i-MiEV taxis before moving to full autonomy.
- Other companies with autonomous vehicles on their radar include Mobileye (NYSE:MBLY), Delphi Automotive (NYSE:DLPH), Volvo (OTCPK:GELYF), Ford (NYSE:F), Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA), Toyota (NYSE:TM), Hertz Global (NYSE:HTZ), Avis Budget (NASDAQ:CAR), Nissan (OTCPK:NSANY), BMW (BAMXY), Intel (NASDAQ:INTC), Honda (NYSE:HMC), FedEx (NYSE:FDX), Lyft (Private:LYFT), and General Motors (NYSE:GM) to name just a partial list -- although analyzing which stocks may benefit from a future of a mix of self-driving cars on the road is a tricky business.
- Previously: Scientists warn on self-driving car rush (July 8)
- Previously: Self-driving car push adds a little buzz for restaurants (Aug. 6)
Tue, Aug. 16, 8:16 AM
- Ford (NYSE:F) and Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) announce that they invested $75M each in sensor developer Velodyne LiDAR.
- Velodyne aims to be a leading producer of mass market sensors for self-driving cars.
- "This investment will accelerate the cost reduction and scaling of Velodyne’s industry-leading LIDAR sensors, making them widely accessible and enabling mass deployment of fully autonomous vehicles," says Velodyne CEO David Hall.
Tue, Aug. 2, 1:17 PM
- July monthly performance was: +4.77%
- 52-week performance vs. the S&P 500 is: -8%
- No dividends were paid in July
- Top 10 Holdings as of 6/30/2016: Tencent Holdings Ltd. (OTCPK:TCTZF): 8.99243%, Ping An Insurance (Group) Co. of China Ltd H (OTCPK:PIAIF): 8.32846%, Alibaba Group Holding Ltd ADR (BABA): 8.29751%, Baidu Inc ADR (BIDU): 8.09289%, JD.com Inc ADR (JD): 7.18603%, Ctrip.com International Ltd ADR (CTRP): 5.75736%, NetEase Inc ADR (NTES): 3.16258%, China Minsheng Banking Corp Ltd H (OTCPK:CGMBF): 2.61595%, Hengan International Group Co Ltd (OTCPK:HEGIF): 2.59126%, New Oriental Education & Technology Group Inc ADR (EDU): 2.16007%
Thu, Jul. 28, 4:33 PM
Wed, Jul. 27, 5:35 PM
- ACTG, AFL, AIV, AJG, ALDW, ALGN, ALJ, AMZN, ARII, ATEN, ATR, AUY, BCOV, BGS, BIDU, BOOM, BRKS, CAA, CATM, CBL, CBS, CENX, CHMT, CLD, CLMS, COLM, COWN, CPHD, CPT, CUBE, CWST, CY, DECK, DGI, DGII, DLR, DTLK, ECOL, EEP, EGO, EHTH, EIX, ELLI, EMN, EQC, ES, ESS, EXPE, EYES, FE, FET, FICO, FII, FIX, FLS, FPO, FR, FTNT, GIMO, GNMK, GOOG, HIG, HLS, IM, INVA, INVN, ISIL, ITGR, IXYS, KAMN, KBR, KLAC, KRG, LEG, LMNX, LPLA, LYV, MATW, MOBL, MSCC, MSTR, MTD, N, NGVC, NR, NSR, OMCL, OUTR, PCCC, PDFS, PFG, PXLW, QGEN, QSII, RGA, RMD, ROVI, RSG, RTEC, SB, SBAC, SKYW, SNMX, SPNC, SRCL, STMP, STRZA, SYNA, TCO, TFSL, THG, TLGT, TNDM, UCTT, ULH, VCRA, VDSI, VRSN, WDC, WLK, WRI, WYNN, YRCW