Jan. 7, 2014, 8:12 AM
- A brutal weekly reading on store sales from ICSC-Goldman is directly attributable to winter storms and "statistical noise" from the end of the year.
- Sales fell over 5% on the year-over-year comparison.
- The research firm notes that the frigid weather has cut across retail except for grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, DEG, IMKTA) and online sellers (OSTK, NILE, BIDZ, AMZN) which saw sales levels hold up during the week.
- Family dining restaurants (CAKE, RRGB, IRG, DIN, DENN, CBRL) saw traffic slow to a crawl due to the winter weather slam.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, PMR, FDIS, RCD, PEZ, PSCD
Dec. 23, 2013, 3:36 PM
- Wells Fargo bangs the same drum as other firms on the promotional fervor being seen in retail with its warning today that Q4 margins may disappoint.
- Analysts with the investment firm cite data showing mall traffic was off 9% for the first two weeks of December and think that even a late-month pickup in sales won't be enough to rescue the quarter.
- The consistent read on the sector has been that discounters (DG, FIVE, DLTR, FDO), e-commerce retailers (AMZN, OSTK, EBAY, NILE, BIDZ, SFLY), and membership warehouses (COST, PSMT, WMT) may have held up the best as consumers either traded down or shopped via devices.
Jun. 3, 2013, 11:52 AM
Business development companies (BDCS -1.1%) see some selling as higher interest rates threaten to offer at least minor competition to their fat dividends. The drop in junk bond prices - a decent proxy for the assets on their books - isn't helping either. Leading on the downside today: Main Street (MAIN -4.5%), American Capital (ACAS -2.4%), Prospect Capital (PSEC -1.4%), Ares Capital (ARCC -1.1%), Blackrock Kelso (BKCC -1.1%).| Jun. 3, 2013, 11:52 AM | 6 Comments
May 18, 2012, 9:06 AM
Bidz.com (BIDZ) signs a merger agreement with Glendon Group that will take the online retailing company private in a $0.78-per-share deal. Shares of trade BIDZ +53% premarket to $0.75, after once swapping hands at $20 a pop.| May 18, 2012, 9:06 AM
Nov. 10, 2008, 4:07 PMBidz.com (BIDZ): Q3 EPS of $0.13 beats by $0.02. Revenue of $55.4M (+38.2%) vs. $55.9M. Sees full-year revenue of $215-225M vs. $240M. Shares -2.1%. (PR) | Nov. 10, 2008, 4:07 PM
Sep. 2, 2008, 3:53 PM
Aug. 31, 2008, 7:16 AM
Jun. 16, 2008, 9:46 AM
Bidz.com (BIDZ) +2.2%. DealReporter says the company has been approached by multiple suitors.| Jun. 16, 2008, 9:46 AM