Dec. 5, 2014, 12:50 PM
Dec. 5, 2014, 9:38 AM
- Through a tender offer approved by both companies, Open Text (NASDAQ:OTEX) is acquiring business intelligence/analytics software vendor Actuate (NASDAQ:BIRT) for $330M ($6.60/share) in cash, or an enterprise value of $272M. The price represents an 89% premium to Actuate's Thursday close.
- The deal is expected to close in Q1 2015 (Open Text's FQ3), and be accretive in FY15 (ends June '15).
- Through it, Open Text enters a BI market that's seeing healthy growth amid broader corporate interest in analytics and data mining solutions, but is also very competitive; IBM, SAP, Oracle, Microsoft, Tableau (growing rapidly), and Qlik are among the other participating firms.
- In a presentation (.pdf), Open Text declares Actuate "the leader in personalized analytics and insights," talks up the ability to cross-sell Actuate's products to Open Text's existing content management/BPM software base, and suggests there's also an opportunity to cross-sell to Actuate's 3.5M developers.
Nov. 4, 2014, 4:36 PM
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ADEP, AMRS, ATVI, AWAY, AXLL, BIO, BIOL, BIRT, CALD, CBSO, CDXS, CERS, CHUY, CKEC, COHR, CORT, COUP, CRTO, CSU, DOX, DVN, ENPH, EXAM, EXEL, FANG, FEYE, FOXA, FRGI, GAS, GHDX, HR, ITRI, IVR, JAZZ, JIVE, JKHY, JMBA, KAR, MITT, MOSY, MPO, MYGN, NP, NRP, NSTG, NYMT, OAS, OCLR, OKE, OKS, PACD, PAYC, PBPB, PCYC, PEGA, PHH, PRI, PXD, PZZA, REGI, REXX, RLOC, RNR, RP, SBAC, SN, SPA, SQNM, TMH, TNET, TRIP, TTGT, TWO, TWOU, TX, UIL, WPX, XEC, XNPT, ZAGG, ZU
Oct. 13, 2014, 11:37 AM
- Salesforce's (CRM -1.2%) anticipated Wave cloud analytics/business intelligence software platform is being unveiled today at the company's annual Dreamforce conference. Launch partners include Accenture, Cognizant, Dell, and Informatica.
- Much like Tableau (DATA -2.8%) and Qlik (QLIK -0.7%), Salesforce is trying to differentiate its BI offering by providing a UI that allows data to be easily manipulated and visualized by non-IT personnel. A Salesforce exec: "[Wave] can't be about rows and columns. We wanted everyone to feel good using product and interact with it." Another suggests video games served as an inspiration.
- Also talked up by Salesforce: Wave's mobile-first design (an iOS app launches tomorrow); its advanced search features (enabled by the EdgeSpring acquisition); and its ability to easily integrate with many data sources. Tableau also emphasizes easy data integration.
- Salesforce plans to charge $125/user/month for an Explorer edition of Wave, and $250/user/month for a Builder edition (supports imported datasets). In addition to Tableau and Qlik, Salesforce will be be squaring off against traditional BI vendors such as IBM, SAP, Oracle, MicroStrategy (MSTR -0.6%), and Actuate (BIRT +0.9%).
- Forbes' Ben Kepes: "Rather than true business intelligence, Wave seems to be, at this iteration at least, a graphical tool for displaying business data in engaging ways ... Many existing Salesforce customers frankly don’t need a true analytics offering but rather a more in-depth visualization tool than they currently have from Salesforce." He cautions some technical knowledge about database labels is still needed to use the product.
- Tableau is selling off today, but has bounced from its intraday lows.
Aug. 6, 2014, 5:31 PM
Aug. 5, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ACAS, AGU, ALDW, ANAD, ANDE, AR, ATML, ATO, AWK, BIOS, BIRT, BKD, BREW, BWC, CDE, CDXS, CF, CLDX, CNVR, CODI, COUP, CPA, CPE, CRL, CSII, CSOD, CTL, CXO, CXW, DCTH, DEPO, DK, DNB, DXCM, DYN, ECOL, EFC, ELON, ENS, ENV, ERII, ESS, ETE, ETP, EVC, EXAR, FLTX, FNV, FOXA, FTK, GEOS, GMCR, GPOR, GTY, HI, HIL, IL, INN, INWK, IO, ITMN, IXYS, JACK, KEG, KND, KW, LGP, LHCG, LNT, MBI, MCP, MG, MHLD, MNTX, MRIN, MTDR, MUSA, MWE, NBIX, NLY, NPSP, NRP, NVAX, NVTL, OILT, OSUR, PAA, PACD, PKT, PMT, PPO, PRI, PRU, PRXL, PTLA, QEP, RAIL, REG, RGP, RIG, RJET, RLOC, RNDY, RXN, SAAS, SAPE, SD, SGI, SLF, SN, SSNI, SSRI, SWM, SXL, SYMC, TCAP, TEG, TEP, THOR, THRX, TNGO, TRMR, TROX, TWO, TXTR, UHAL, UIL, WGL, WR, WTI, XNPT, YY, ZU
May. 2, 2014, 12:49 PM
May. 1, 2014, 5:11 PM
Feb. 5, 2014, 12:48 PM
Feb. 5, 2014, 9:39 AM
- Zillow (Z +2.1%) has been upgraded to Buy by CRT Capital ahead of its Feb. 12 Q4 report.
- Mobile TeleSystems (MBT +3.6%) has been upgraded to Neutral by Credit Suisse.
- Actuate (BIRT -18.2%) has been cut to Hold by Drexel Hamilton following yesterday's Q4 miss.
- Vitesse (VTSS -5%) has been cut to Hold by Craig-Hallum after missing Q4 estimates.
Feb. 4, 2014, 4:21 PM| Comment!
Nov. 5, 2013, 5:42 PM
Aug. 1, 2013, 5:02 PM
Apr. 30, 2013, 2:20 PMInformatica (INFA -3%), Splunk (SPLK -1.9%), and Qlik (QLIK -3%), 3 names hyped as analytics/big data plays, slump in response to Microstrategy's (MSTR -11.1%) big Q1 miss, which includes a 24% Y/Y drop in produce license revenue. As is its custom, the business intelligence software vendor gives no reason for its miss, nor does it provide guidance or an earnings call. It is, however, happy to note its buyback program ($455M remaining) has been extended to April 2018. Microstrategy's numbers are overshadowing solid results from rival Actuate (BIRT +6.2%); the company posted 16% Y/Y Q1 license rev. growth, compared with nearly flat total rev. growth. | Comment!
Apr. 29, 2013, 4:50 PM
BIRT vs. ETF Alternatives
Actuate Corp Software provides software services to BIRT developers and OEMs who build scalable and secure solutions. Its trademark products are; BIRT, BIRT iHub Visualization Platform, BIRT Analytics, BIRT Content Services, and BIRT iHub onDemand.
Other News & PR