Looking Past The Obvious To See Why History Will Rhyme: Barnes & Noble Edition
12 Quarters • 15 Comments
12 Quarters • 15 Comments
Thu, Mar. 3, 8:55 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports retail core comparable-store sales rose 1.3% in FQ3.
- Retails sales declined 1.2% to $1.38B due to lower online sales and store closures.
- NOOK sales dropped 33.3% to $51.74M primarily due to lower device and content sales.
- Gross margin rate decreased 30 bps to 34.8%.
- SG&A expense rate squeezed 80 bps to 22.8%.
- Operating margin rate grew 40 bps to 9.5%.
- FY2016 Guidance: Comparable-store sales: ~flat; Core comparable-store sales: ~+1%; NOOK EBITDA losses: decline Y/Y.
- BKS -1.08% premarket.
Thu, Mar. 3, 8:34 AM
Wed, Mar. 2, 5:30 PM
Dec. 3, 2015, 4:14 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ2 EPS of -$0.36 misses by $0.05.
- Revenue of $894.65M (-4.5% Y/Y) misses by $23.18M.
- Shares -3.40%.
Sep. 9, 2015, 9:05 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports retail core comparable bookstore sales rose 1% in FQ1.
- Segment sales: Retail: $939M (-1.66%); College: $238.98M (+5.70%); NOOK: $54.34M (-22.41%).
- Digital content sales declined 28% to $37M & device and accessories sales -6.2% to $17M.
- Comparable-store sales for the college segment expanded 1.8%.
- Gross margin rate fell 210 bps to 28.9%.
- SG&A expense rate grew 90 bps to 29.5%.
- FY2016 Guidance: Retail core comparable bookstore sales: ~+1%; NOOK EBITDA losses: decline Y/Y.
- BKS +0.18% premarket.
Sep. 9, 2015, 8:32 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ1 EPS of -$0.68 may not be comparable to consensus of $0.12.
- Revenue of $1.22B (-1.6% Y/Y) beats by $220.75M.
Sep. 8, 2015, 5:30 PM
Jun. 25, 2015, 8:42 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) announces all three of its segments saw sales decline in FQ4.
- EBITDA was higher for the quarter as the Nook loss was cut to $14.8M from $56M a year ago.
- Core comparable-store sales for the retail segment fell 0.5%.
- Comparable-store sales for the college segment were up 6%.
- Guidance: Retail core comparable bookstore sales are expected to rise 1% in FY16. EBITDA losses for the Nook segment are expected to decline again.
- BKS +2.54% premarket to $27.00.
Jun. 25, 2015, 8:35 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ4 EPS of -$0.37 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $1.18B (-10.6% Y/Y) in-line.
Jun. 24, 2015, 5:30 PM
Mar. 10, 2015, 9:07 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports comparable-store sales at its retail bookstore chain rose 1.7% in FQ3.
- Revenue dropped 1% for the bookstore business on a smaller store count.
- The college segment recorded revenue +7.2% to $521M and EBITDA -20% Y/Y to $28M. Investing in the digital side of the business was a factor.
- Losses at the Nook segment were narrowed to $29M, despite a sharp slide in revenue.
- Guidance: B&N expects the retail bookstore comp to be in the negative low single-digits in FY15 and Nook to be unprofitable again.
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue
- BKS -2.45% premarket to $24.25.
Mar. 10, 2015, 8:33 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ3 EPS of $0.93 misses by $0.30.
- Revenue of $1.96B (-1.5% Y/Y) beats by $40M.
Mar. 9, 2015, 5:30 PM
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:34 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ2 EPS of $0.12 misses by $0.19.
- Revenue of $1.69B (-2.3% Y/Y) in-line.
- Shares -12.3% PM.
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:30 PM
Barnes & Noble, Inc. provides easy and convenient access to books, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform. The company operates through three operating segments: B&N Retail, B&N College and NOOK. The B&N Retail segment includes the eCommerce... More
Industry: Specialty Retail, Other
Country: United States
Other News & PR