Thu, Jul. 2, 8:12 AM
- Ronald Boire became permanent CEO of Sears Canada (NASDAQ:SHLD) just a few months back, but now he's headed to Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) as that company's CEO, effective September 8, after the spinoff of the company's education unit.
- Current CEO Michael Huseby will become executive chairman of Barnes & Noble Education.
- Chief Merchandising Officer Jaime Carey is promoted to COO, effective immediately.
- Source: Press Release
Mon, Jun. 29, 7:29 AM
- Barnes & Noble Education (BNED) will be spun off to shareholders of Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) at a rate of 0.632 shares per share of BKS.
- The college bookstore business generated sales of $1.772B in FY15 and EBITDA of $84.1M.
- Comparable store sales were up 0.1%.
- The 724 college locations for Barnes & Noble Education marks a national reach of 24% of all college students.
- SEC Form S-1
Thu, Jun. 25, 9:12 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) announces it expects to spin off its education businesses by the end of August into a separate company.
- The split of B&N has been viewed as a potential catalyst for share price.
- Current CEO Michael Husbey will be the CEO of Barnes & Noble Education when it separates.
- More details are expected to be unveiled during a conference call at 10:00 AM ET.
- Previously: Barnes & Noble beats by $0.02, revenue in-line
- Previously: Barnes & Noble higher after Nook drag reduced
- BKS +2.62% premarket.
Thu, Jun. 25, 8:42 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) announces all three of its segments saw sales decline in FQ4.
- EBITDA was higher for the quarter as the Nook loss was cut to $14.8M from $56M a year ago.
- Core comparable-store sales for the retail segment fell 0.5%.
- Comparable-store sales for the college segment were up 6%.
- Guidance: Retail core comparable bookstore sales are expected to rise 1% in FY16. EBITDA losses for the Nook segment are expected to decline again.
- BKS +2.54% premarket to $27.00.
Thu, Jun. 25, 8:35 AM
Wed, Jun. 24, 5:30 PM
Fri, Jun. 19, 2:03 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1.9%) announces the addition of Ann-Marie Campbell and Paul Guenther to its board ahead of the planned split by the company into two separate entities.
- Campbell is a top Home Depot exec, while Guenther has deep financial services experience.
- The spinoff of the college bookstore business is expected to be executed before the end of August.
- Shares of B&N are up 21% over the last month on optimism the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
- Earlier this month, Barron's pitched the case that shares of BKS are worth $40 ahead of the split.
Sat, Jun. 6, 12:13 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is a screaming buy ahead of the planned spinoff of the company's education business, reasons Barron's.
- Working off the EBITDA B&N churned up last year, Barron's estimates the retail stores are worth $22 a share, while the education business is $14 a share and another $4 a share sits in cash.
- That $40 valuation on BKS compares to a Friday close of $24.68 and doesn't apply a premium to the retail bookstore and education businesses becoming more efficient after they are freed up.
- Craig-Hallum Capital Group agrees that B&N is undervalued as the Nook overhang scares off growth investors and Wall Street analysts alike.
- SA contributor Andriy Blokhin has a breakdown on Barnes & Noble that dives into fundamentals.
- Spinoff details: Barnes & Noble issues details on education business spinoff (June 4)
Thu, Jun. 4, 6:28 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is out with an amended SEC filing covering the spinoff of its education business.
- The company reports sales of $1.75B in 2014 and net income of $34.52M for the education services and products.
- Growing the existing bookstore business and building a digital education platform will be two areas of focus for B&N Education when it's set free from its parent company.
- The trading symbol for Barnes & Noble Education will be BNED.
- SEC Form S-1
Mon, Apr. 13, 9:59 AM
Wed, Mar. 11, 1:07 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +5%) is higher on stronger volume a day after reporting earnings.
- The company is closing fewer bookstores this fiscal year than expected and showed an above-consensus comp which has reset some expectations.
- The B&N retail comp has now increased for 3 straight quarters.
- During the firm's earnings call, execs indicated the company hasn't given up on the Nook business.
- Earnings call transcript
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue (March 10)
- Previously: Barnes & Noble records positive bookstore comp, Nook unprofitable again (March 10)
Tue, Mar. 10, 9:07 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports comparable-store sales at its retail bookstore chain rose 1.7% in FQ3.
- Revenue dropped 1% for the bookstore business on a smaller store count.
- The college segment recorded revenue +7.2% to $521M and EBITDA -20% Y/Y to $28M. Investing in the digital side of the business was a factor.
- Losses at the Nook segment were narrowed to $29M, despite a sharp slide in revenue.
- Guidance: B&N expects the retail bookstore comp to be in the negative low single-digits in FY15 and Nook to be unprofitable again.
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue
- BKS -2.45% premarket to $24.25.
Tue, Mar. 10, 8:33 AM
Mon, Mar. 9, 5:30 PM
Mon, Mar. 9, 2:57 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1%) says it has invested in study aid player Flashnotes Inc. and plans to promote the business across its platforms.
- Terms of the investment weren't disclosed.
- The stake in Flashnotes Inc. is part of the B&N college bookstore business which will be spun off to shareholders later this year.
Thu, Feb. 26, 10:01 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +7%) will spin off its college business into a new publicly traded company in a tax-free distribution.
- Shareholders can expect the transaction to be completed before the end of August.
- The development is a reversal from a prior proposal to spin off the Nook business.
- Shares of BKS etched out a fresh 52-week high after the news hit.
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR