Fri, Jan. 23, 1:22 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is up 3.88% on above-average volume.
- The sorting out of short positions on BKS is in the background as shares find their way back to within a dollar of a 52-week high.
- The B&N retail chain has put up solid core comps over the last two quarters with a thinned-out bookstore herd helping to hold up demand.
Thu, Jan. 8, 9:05 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports core comparable-bookstore sales rose 1.7% during the nine-week holiday period.
- Total retail sales +0.2% to $1.1B.
- Nook sales -55.4% to $56M on a huge slide (expected) in device sales.
- Based on the results, B&N expects full-year core comparable-store sales to be flat and EBITDA losses in the Nook segment to decline compared to last year.
- BKS +4.6% premarket.
Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 AM| Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 AM | Comment!
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 2.3% off of today's strong read on retail sales in the U.S.
- While the big boys are holding their own - Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) +1.1%, Target (NYSE:TGT) +2.0%, Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +1.0% - it's the apparel chains and specialty retailers doing the heavy lifting.
- Retail standouts: Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) +3.3%, CST Brands (NYSE:CST) +3.3%, Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) +3.2%, Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM) +3.0%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +2.9%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%.
- Previously: Retail Sales report, highlights
Dec. 5, 2014, 5:30 PM
- Following a 7.6% gain today, Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) has more than erased the big losses it initially saw on Thursday after posting an FQ2 EPS miss and announcing it's buying back Microsoft's 17.6% Nook Media stake.
- TheDeal reports today Wal-Mart is interested in the e-book market and could make a bid for Nook Media. Worth noting: Much of Nook Media's value is tied to its college bookstore ops rather than the Nook hardware and digital content businesses.
Dec. 4, 2014, 9:49 AM
- Along with its FQ2 results, Barnes & Noble (BKS -11.4%) has announced it's buying Microsoft's (MSFT +1.6%) stake in Nook Media for $62.4M in cash and 2.7M shares (current value of $52.8M). The companies have also "agreed to terminate their commercial agreement." (8-K)
- With Microsoft having invested $300M in Nook Media (contains B&N's Nook hardware, online bookstore, e-book, and college bookstore ops) in 2012 for a 17.6% stake, the software giant is taking a ~$185M loss on its investment.
- B&N's Nook segment revenue (covers hardware, digital content, and accessories) fell 41.3% Y/Y in FQ2 to just $62M, thanks to tough competition from Amazon and ongoing tablet cannibalization of e-readers. B&N's college segment saw revenue rise 1.9% to $751M.
- The sale follows Microsoft's July decision to lay off roughly half the workers in its Nokia phone unit, as part of a broader restructuring.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:34 AM
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:30 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 1:05 PM
- A technical breakdown on the performance of retail e-commerce sites for Black Friday and Cyber Monday reveals some winners and losers.
- Sears (NASDAQ:SHLD), Costco (NASDAQ:COST), Office Depot (NASDAQ:ODP), REI, Saks and NewEgg drew high marks for using responsive web design to create a seamless mobile experience for users.
- Costco and Sears were also on a list of fastest sites - along with Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS), W.W. Grainger (NYSE:GWW), Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM), and Hennes & Mauritz (OTCPK:HMRZF).
- The extended holiday was more uneven for Best Buy (NYSE:BBY), Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), Cabela's (NYSE:CAB), and Forever 21 which had painful outages or slow performance times.
- J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) was reported to have had a temporary mobile glitch which caused a slowdown, but also ended up on a list of top website performers.
Nov. 24, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +2.7%) plans to use the power of personality to drive store traffic this Black Friday weekend.
- The company has over 500K signed books from well-known authors across genres which will be made available throughout its store base.
- Every B&N store in the country will have at least 100 signed books available at the opening on Black Friday.
Oct. 31, 2014, 9:12 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) says it will launch a science-oriented toy and games center in select stores.
- What to watch: The initiative falls in line with a plan by B&N to increase store traffic by focusing on experience over online price-matching. It's a strategy that some analysts think is working quite well for the retail chain.
Sep. 9, 2014, 9:24 AM
Sep. 9, 2014, 8:59 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports a 5.3% drop in sales for its Retail segment to $955M in FQ1.
- Revenue for the College segment was flat at $226M, while Nook saw sales plummet 54% to $70M.
- Comp sales at the book chain were off 5.3% in FQ1, a mark that improves to a 0.4% dip if Nook products are backed out.
- The company expects the separation of the Nook business to occur by the end of Q1 in 2015.
- BKS +1.1% premarket
Sep. 9, 2014, 8:32 AM
Sep. 8, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 1, 2014, 2:56 PM| Jul. 1, 2014, 2:56 PM | 3 Comments
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR