Looking Past The Obvious To See Why History Will Rhyme: Barnes & Noble Edition
Laughing Water Capital • 15 Comments
Laughing Water Capital • 15 Comments
Nov. 24, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +2.7%) plans to use the power of personality to drive store traffic this Black Friday weekend.
- The company has over 500K signed books from well-known authors across genres which will be made available throughout its store base.
- Every B&N store in the country will have at least 100 signed books available at the opening on Black Friday.
Oct. 31, 2014, 9:12 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) says it will launch a science-oriented toy and games center in select stores.
- What to watch: The initiative falls in line with a plan by B&N to increase store traffic by focusing on experience over online price-matching. It's a strategy that some analysts think is working quite well for the retail chain.
Sep. 9, 2014, 9:24 AM
Sep. 9, 2014, 8:59 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports a 5.3% drop in sales for its Retail segment to $955M in FQ1.
- Revenue for the College segment was flat at $226M, while Nook saw sales plummet 54% to $70M.
- Comp sales at the book chain were off 5.3% in FQ1, a mark that improves to a 0.4% dip if Nook products are backed out.
- The company expects the separation of the Nook business to occur by the end of Q1 in 2015.
- BKS +1.1% premarket
Sep. 9, 2014, 8:32 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ1 EPS of -$0.56 beats by $0.07.
- Revenue of $1.24B (-6.8% Y/Y) misses by $20M.
Sep. 8, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 1, 2014, 2:56 PM| Jul. 1, 2014, 2:56 PM | 3 Comments
Jun. 25, 2014, 9:10 AM
Jun. 25, 2014, 8:43 AM
- The board authorizes the separation of Barnes & Noble's retail operation from the NOOK Media business into two separate public companies, and BKS hopes to have this done by 2015 Q1.
- Management sees FY15 comp bookstore sales down in the low-single digits, with college comp sales down a similar amount. EBITDA losses in the NOOK segment are expected to continue to decrease.
- The earnings call is set for 10 ET.
- Shares +9.9% premarket
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.13, beats on revenue
Jun. 25, 2014, 8:33 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS): FQ4 EPS of -$0.72 misses by $0.13.
- Revenue of $1.32B (+3.1% Y/Y) beats by $130M.
Jun. 24, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jun. 5, 2014, 8:43 AM| Jun. 5, 2014, 8:43 AM | 1 Comment
May 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS +6.5%) are higher after the company is tapped by Barron's as a potential undervalued play for investors.
- The sum-of-the-parts argument on B&N isn't new, although Barron's comes up with an eye-popping potential fair market value of $36 per share on the stock.
- The college business of Barnes & Noble looks under-appreciated in particular.
- Before anything too dramatic happens with the company, the Nook Media conundrum needs to be worked out with stakeholders Microsoft and Pearson (PSO +1%).
May 9, 2014, 1:20 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +2.8%) CEO says the company wants to have over 1,000 college bookstores in operation within five years. The company runs 696 shops at the moment.
- The plan also includes a doubling of the number of academic superstores (+30K square feet).
- In order to hit the 1,000-store mark, B&N will have to convince some larger universities to move away from the independent store model.
Apr. 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
Apr. 17, 2014, 9:16 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) Chairman Leonard Riggio sold 3.7M shares of the company to take his stake down to 20%.
- Riggio sold off his shares at a price of $17.30.
- The development takes some of the steam out of the theory that Riggio was planning to back a go-private deal.
- SEC Form 4
- BKS -4.3% premarket to $17.80
Barnes & Noble, Inc. provides easy and convenient access to books, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform. The company operates through three operating segments: B&N Retail, B&N College and NOOK. The B&N Retail segment includes the eCommerce... More
Industry: Specialty Retail, Other
Country: United States
Other News & PR