What's your position on ?
Why are you ish?
You voted ish on Vote again
Posts appear on the My Feed page of subscribers to this ticker
Dec. 9, 2013, 9:53 AM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS +6.7%) take off as a couple of analysts back the company to come out the other side of a SEC probe over accounting in decent shape.
- The somewhat twisted logic is that the company's retail bookstore business may be in even better shape than realized if it's been bearing more Nook-related costs than it should have been.
Dec. 6, 2013, 11:45 AM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS -5.2%) are under selling pressure after the company discloses it is the subject of a SEC probe on its accounting practices.
- The company was notified on October 13 that the SEC would investigate the restatement of earnings announced on July 29, 2013. A different matter related to allegations of an ex-employee on how IT expenses are reported for Nook and the retail segment will also be looked into.
- SEC Form 10-K
Dec. 3, 2013, 3:34 PM
- Wal-Mart (WMT +0.1%) says it had its best five-day stretch ever for online sales as its website processed over a billion page views during the period.
- The retailing giant will keep up an aggressive promotional stance this week following Cyber Monday with over 200 online specials every day for consumers.
- It's a move that bites into the margins for pressured retailers such as Barnes & Noble (BKS -0.2%), Sears Holdings (SHLD -6.7%), and hhGregg (HGG +1.1%) which depend on key categories that Wal-Mart is increasingly disrupting.
Nov. 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
- E-commerce sales this holiday season will rise 14% to 17% this year to top the marks of the last three years, forecasts Jefferies. Cyber Monday sales are tapped to see +20% Y/Y sales growth.
- The ongoing channel shift away from brick-and-mortar becomes even more pronounced when auto, restaurants, and gas are backed out of retail sales tallies. Apparel sellers are forecast to be the hardest hit, although on-trend names such as Under Armour (UA), Macy's (M), Gap (GPS), and Lululemon (LULU) should outperform.
- The strong Cyber Monday rush could hurt foot-traffic reliant chains such as TJX Companies (TJX), J.C. Penney (JCP), Barnes & Noble (BKS), Ultra Salon (ULTA), and DSW (DSW) - according to some trends dug up by Placed.com.
- The positive read on e-commerce sales bodes well for Amazon (AMZN), Retailmenot (SALE), eBay (EBAY), Overstock. com (OSTK), and Blue Nile (NILE) - although high expectations are already likely factored into share price.
- Related ETFs: XLY, VCR, IYC, SCC, FXD, UCC, RCD, FDIS, PSCD, PEZ.
Nov. 26, 2013, 10:10 AM
- It was race by Barnes & Noble (BKS -1.2%) to cut costs as fast as sales dropped off during Q3.
- Though the company managed to improve its gross margin rates as the costs of sales and SG&A expenses fell sharply, investors are latching onto the sales trend more than the profitability swing.
- The drop in Nook revenue (digital and device) wasn't a shocker, but a comp sales falloff of 4.9% at B&N bookstores was a bit wider than analysts forecast.
Nov. 26, 2013, 9:08 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) shows another quarter of deteriorating revenue trends across segments.
- FQ2 segment revenue: Retail -7.5% Y/Y to $921M; College -4.6% to $737.5M; Nook -32.2% to $108.7M.
- Perhaps the most alarming nugget from the quarter: Digital content sales fell 21.2% Y/Y vs. -16% last quarter.
- The company did manage to back its previous guidance. (PR)
- BKS -3.3% premarket.
Nov. 26, 2013, 8:36 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS): FQ2 EPS of $0.15.
- Revenue of $1.73B (-8% Y/Y) misses by $0.04B. (PR)
Nov. 26, 2013, 12:05 AM
Nov. 25, 2013, 5:30 PM
Nov. 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -2.2%) needed a home run with its new GlowLight e-reader, but it might only be heading for a solid single.
- The general consensus is that the product, which is offered at the same price as the Kindle Paperwhite, won't do enough to rejuvenate B&N hardware business. At last count, the company only held 5.1% of the e-reader market share.
- Reviews: Laptop Magazine, Gizmodo.
Nov. 11, 2013, 8:38 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) creates its own retail event with the launch of "Discovery Friday" a full week before Black Friday.
- The company's marketing campaign around the event will focus on the launch of the Nook GlowLight and the ongoing emergence of the book chain as a "neighborhood institution."
- Nook boutiques inside of B&N stores are being beefed up this year for the holiday rush.
Oct. 30, 2013, 7:08 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS) unveils its new flagship e-book reader priced at $119.
- The Nook Glowlight weights only 6.2 ounces and features a similar display and lighting as the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite.
- Reviews: The Verge calls the device lighter, faster, and full of ideas - while CNET says it gives the Paperwhite a run for its money.
Oct. 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
Oct. 14, 2013, 9:28 AM
- As part of its ho-hum announcement of a new store opening in Texas, Barnes & Noble (BKS) says the cafe in the new store will feature more items from Starbucks as well as desserts from The Cheesecake Factory (CAKE).
- The retail chain has been able to carve out additional space for cafes to ring up more food and beverage sales, but will it be nearly enough? Last quarter, the company's bookstore saw a sharp drop in same-store sales and a tough comparable is upcoming.
Sep. 30, 2013, 5:04 PM
- Mahese Veerina, who until last year was the head of Motorola Mobility's software/cloud services ops, has been named COO of Nook Media (BKS), effective Oct. 7. In addition, Doug Carlson, most recently chairman of digital magazine publishing platform Zinio, has been named Nook Media's digital content/marketing chief. (PR)
- The appointments come less than 3 months after B&N CEO William Lynch resigned, and CFO Michael Huseby was named head of Nook Media.
- B&N's Nook segment, hurt by tough tablet/e-book competition and a declining e-reader market, posted July quarter sales of $153M (-20% Y/Y) to go with a $55M EBITDA loss.
Sep. 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -0.2%) could see a spike in traffic at its retail stores this week with several new highly-anticipated books coming out from well-known authors.
- Publishers are testing the water with earlier holiday release dates and limited signed hardcover editions to stoke interest in hardcover books.
- Though the impact of e-books sellers such as Amazon and Apple on B&N has been enormous, many analysts think the closing of Borders and the loyalty of the book seller's customers keeps the retail story alive.
Barnes & Noble Inc is a booksellers and a content, commerce and technology company providing customers access to trade books, textbooks, magazines, newspapers and other content across its multi-channel distribution platform.
Other News & PR