Barnes & Noble IncNYSE
Looking Past The Obvious To See Why History Will Rhyme: Barnes & Noble Edition
Laughing Water Capital • 15 Comments
Laughing Water Capital • 15 Comments
Jun. 25, 2015, 8:35 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ4 EPS of -$0.37 beats by $0.02.
- Revenue of $1.18B (-10.6% Y/Y) in-line.
Jun. 24, 2015, 5:30 PM
Jun. 19, 2015, 2:03 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1.9%) announces the addition of Ann-Marie Campbell and Paul Guenther to its board ahead of the planned split by the company into two separate entities.
- Campbell is a top Home Depot exec, while Guenther has deep financial services experience.
- The spinoff of the college bookstore business is expected to be executed before the end of August.
- Shares of B&N are up 21% over the last month on optimism the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
- Earlier this month, Barron's pitched the case that shares of BKS are worth $40 ahead of the split.
Jun. 6, 2015, 12:13 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is a screaming buy ahead of the planned spinoff of the company's education business, reasons Barron's.
- Working off the EBITDA B&N churned up last year, Barron's estimates the retail stores are worth $22 a share, while the education business is $14 a share and another $4 a share sits in cash.
- That $40 valuation on BKS compares to a Friday close of $24.68 and doesn't apply a premium to the retail bookstore and education businesses becoming more efficient after they are freed up.
- Craig-Hallum Capital Group agrees that B&N is undervalued as the Nook overhang scares off growth investors and Wall Street analysts alike.
- SA contributor Andriy Blokhin has a breakdown on Barnes & Noble that dives into fundamentals.
- Spinoff details: Barnes & Noble issues details on education business spinoff (June 4)
Jun. 4, 2015, 6:28 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is out with an amended SEC filing covering the spinoff of its education business.
- The company reports sales of $1.75B in 2014 and net income of $34.52M for the education services and products.
- Growing the existing bookstore business and building a digital education platform will be two areas of focus for B&N Education when it's set free from its parent company.
- The trading symbol for Barnes & Noble Education will be BNED.
- SEC Form S-1
Apr. 13, 2015, 9:59 AM
Mar. 11, 2015, 1:07 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +5%) is higher on stronger volume a day after reporting earnings.
- The company is closing fewer bookstores this fiscal year than expected and showed an above-consensus comp which has reset some expectations.
- The B&N retail comp has now increased for 3 straight quarters.
- During the firm's earnings call, execs indicated the company hasn't given up on the Nook business.
- Earnings call transcript
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue (March 10)
- Previously: Barnes & Noble records positive bookstore comp, Nook unprofitable again (March 10)
Mar. 10, 2015, 9:07 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports comparable-store sales at its retail bookstore chain rose 1.7% in FQ3.
- Revenue dropped 1% for the bookstore business on a smaller store count.
- The college segment recorded revenue +7.2% to $521M and EBITDA -20% Y/Y to $28M. Investing in the digital side of the business was a factor.
- Losses at the Nook segment were narrowed to $29M, despite a sharp slide in revenue.
- Guidance: B&N expects the retail bookstore comp to be in the negative low single-digits in FY15 and Nook to be unprofitable again.
- Previously: Barnes & Noble misses by $0.30, beats on revenue
- BKS -2.45% premarket to $24.25.
Mar. 10, 2015, 8:33 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS): FQ3 EPS of $0.93 misses by $0.30.
- Revenue of $1.96B (-1.5% Y/Y) beats by $40M.
Mar. 9, 2015, 5:30 PM
Mar. 9, 2015, 2:57 PM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +1%) says it has invested in study aid player Flashnotes Inc. and plans to promote the business across its platforms.
- Terms of the investment weren't disclosed.
- The stake in Flashnotes Inc. is part of the B&N college bookstore business which will be spun off to shareholders later this year.
Feb. 26, 2015, 10:01 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS +7%) will spin off its college business into a new publicly traded company in a tax-free distribution.
- Shareholders can expect the transaction to be completed before the end of August.
- The development is a reversal from a prior proposal to spin off the Nook business.
- Shares of BKS etched out a fresh 52-week high after the news hit.
Jan. 23, 2015, 1:22 PM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) is up 3.88% on above-average volume.
- The sorting out of short positions on BKS is in the background as shares find their way back to within a dollar of a 52-week high.
- The B&N retail chain has put up solid core comps over the last two quarters with a thinned-out bookstore herd helping to hold up demand.
Jan. 8, 2015, 9:05 AM
- Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) reports core comparable-bookstore sales rose 1.7% during the nine-week holiday period.
- Total retail sales +0.2% to $1.1B.
- Nook sales -55.4% to $56M on a huge slide (expected) in device sales.
- Based on the results, B&N expects full-year core comparable-store sales to be flat and EBITDA losses in the Nook segment to decline compared to last year.
- BKS +4.6% premarket.
Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 AM| Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 AM
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 2.3% off of today's strong read on retail sales in the U.S.
- While the big boys are holding their own - Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) +1.1%, Target (NYSE:TGT) +2.0%, Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +1.0% - it's the apparel chains and specialty retailers doing the heavy lifting.
- Retail standouts: Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) +3.3%, CST Brands (NYSE:CST) +3.3%, Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) +3.2%, Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM) +3.0%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +2.9%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%.
- Previously: Retail Sales report, highlights